Kitchen was more than a bit of a mess

Ryan .

Jul 25, 2016, 2:44:47 AM7/25/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Was down breifly last night to program up those new cards and noticed that the kitchen floor and sink area are badly in need of a clean.

Please don't let it get so bad, and if you're up for it, please can you tackle the clean? It seems more an accumulation of bad habits rather than one person leaving a fucked up mess, so let's not worry about whodunnit, let's just sort it and not let it get so bad again.

mikethebee

Jul 28, 2016, 7:50:33 AM7/28/16
to Reading Hackspace
I washed the toilet and kitchen floors yesterday. The Dyson hoover's rotating brush drive seems to have died, is it still under guarantee? - Mike

Mark Robson

Jul 28, 2016, 5:16:03 PM7/28/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
The Dyson in the kitchen seems nonfunctional. The battery is good, it makes noise, but little suck; if operated at full power, its motor rapidly overheats (and cuts out for a second, so you get a pulse of noise;no-noise )

I suspect that either its filter is clogged or some object has got stuck in the innards. The muck compartment is not obviously full.

Maybe an antistatic bag or other air-blocking object has got trapped somewhere. I had a quick look and I couldn't obviously see a problem with the filter or muck-compartment.

The rotating brush only turns if there is sufficient airflow; that might be a separate issue though.

Mark

Mark Robson

Jul 28, 2016, 5:17:57 PM7/28/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I should say - Dysons are very clever and all that, and I like the battery operation, which makes the "barrier to entry" for cleaning very low.

But probably not designed for industrial / filthy hackspace type environment, I suppose small pieces of inconvenient-shaped stuff can easily lodge in hard-to-get-out places.

Is the 40yr old Kirby still around? Or the 60-year old Nilfisk?

Mark

The Original Gavin

Jul 30, 2016, 4:01:41 AM7/30/16
to Reading Hackspace
My Dyson at home has a button on the side of the brush unit that turns the brushes on and off. It also cuts out as you describe when it is in its power boost mode - it can't keep that up for long.

Will take a look next time I'm down