The Great Downstairs Thread

Arthur

Sep 20, 2017, 5:09:40 AM9/20/17
to Reading Hackspace
It began with the removal of a small plasterboard cupboard. It will end with a multipurpose workshop of the gods (or at least it will be pretty sweet).

This is mostly a thread to let people know what's going on downstairs.

So. At the moment.

Sorting The Tools - Tools are being sorted and weeded, the big pile in the bay is tools we think are surplus to requirements (for example we have 4 jigsaws, 7 power sanders, 6 staple guns, 6 dremels and 3.752 billion 14mm spanners). Another reason is if we have a tool that can do what that tool does better (ie we have upgraded, but kept the old one), Another possible reason is simply because the tool is dead beyond repair. The directors have posted in the latest newsletter about surplus tools, so please read that if you haven't

Databasing The Tools - Tony is going to set up a Relational Database, so we can
database all of the tools/accessories/perishables/materials downstairs. Hopefully with the inclusion of QR codes on everything that takes you to their page. With Tools, this could have things like their manual, what accessories we have for the tool, who can induct you, who owns it, where to buy replacement parts, etc.

Rewiring Downstairs - Once the spec has been drawn up, and stuff ordered. This is probably going to be the next big hit downstairs.

Wall Racking - I have made another post about this here, but the short is that I am putting MDF up on the walls so we can easily attach and removing wall racking. If you fancy making some that would be appreciated, for details see here.

Heating - An air source heat pump is being fitted, on the inside the unit is done, when tom reappears we will fit the outside heat exchanger (this is also for the chillout room). Hopefully this will help us survive the winter.

I will try to keep this updated

Message has been deleted

Arthur

Sep 21, 2017, 4:59:28 PM9/21/17
to Reading Hackspace

Luke, Ian and I have done another hit on downstairs. We have...

- Sorted through all the fixings, we have got rid of many, but sorted even more. Keeping most things useful, expensive and/or interesting. But getting rid of enough that you now stand a chance at finding what you need.

- Put the excess tools into storage, until what's going to be done with them has been decided. (see the rlab newsletter).

- Cut the two remaining sets of large tool shelves in half, making two more solid work benches which tools can stay permanently set up on. One of these is now in where the wood lathe used to be, which has meant the lathe has moved into the may, where managing it's mess is much easier.

- More wall space was cleared... You know what that means... MORE MDF!!! Start making those racks :)

Probably no more big changes for a little bit, but downstairs is currently more usable, for more people, than it has ever been. The next two hits will probably be painting the floor and rewiring. And of course all those racks

Here are some pics, before it gets messy.

On Wednesday, 20 September 2017 10:12:40 UTC+1, Pete T wrote:
Great work Arthur, et al.

Fe

Sep 21, 2017, 5:15:02 PM9/21/17
to Reading Hackspace
Great work all! If you need more help give Marie (and me) a shout :)

Toby Williams

Sep 22, 2017, 4:51:00 AM9/22/17
to Reading Hackspace
Looks great!

Simon Green

Sep 23, 2017, 3:57:50 AM9/23/17
to Reading Hackspace
Fantastic work

Arthur

Sep 27, 2017, 11:11:38 AM9/27/17
to Reading Hackspace
BREAKING NEWS
NEW WALL FOUND AT RLAB

David Jenkins

Sep 27, 2017, 12:07:23 PM9/27/17
to Reading Hackspace

mural?

Arthur

Sep 27, 2017, 12:41:30 PM9/27/17
to Reading Hackspace
We do have alot of paint kicking around...

On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 17:07:23 UTC+1, David Jenkins wrote:

mural?

Arthur

Oct 6, 2017, 8:59:37 AM10/6/17
to Reading Hackspace
A few more things have have progressed down stairs

As soon as the new wall appeared, I have MDF'ed it

The sheet of steel that you used to have to lug onto a table to weld on is now permanently on a bench, with a vice, and a removable wood top so it can be used as a normal bench the rest of the time.

Made a new home for the sewing machines in the corner now they are in use

The PPE is now living below the first aid kits, directly on the right as you come into the workshop.

See Pictures

Arthur

Oct 19, 2017, 12:05:20 PM10/19/17
to Reading Hackspace
Ok, Nothing much has changed downstairs for weeks now and I'm getting itchy fingers. I think it may be a good time to paint the floor.

It is something that really needs doing, the floor currently can get very slippery with even a small amount of fine dust on it, it has been a health and safety concern for quite a long time.

This unfortunately it will render downstairs unusable on a couple of nights, but if planned well, and if enough people chip in, I think disruption can be minimized. I suggest that one night we move as much as we can into the bay, and paint the workshop half. Another night, we move as much as possible into the workshop and paint the bay half. Floors will need scraping in places, cleaning and degreasing. The next night, we will also need people to move everything back into place, without dragging it over the nice floor preferably.

Possibly a Sunday/Monday night combo would be good for this? But any day would do.

Anyone who wouldn't mind pitching in, please post here, or message me privately and let me know when would be a good day. This job will be easy with 6, but a nightmare if it's just a couple of us. Don't worry if you are not up for heavy lifting, there will be shelves to be unloaded, sweeping, mopping, painting (we have long rollers) and tea making to be done. As well supervisor roles, and roles providing moral support.

Toby Williams

Oct 19, 2017, 12:22:41 PM10/19/17
to Reading Hackspace
Will probable be around Monday night

Luke Barnard

Oct 19, 2017, 3:13:25 PM10/19/17
to Reading Hackspace
I'm game. Most evenings do-able.

Fe

Oct 19, 2017, 3:23:06 PM10/19/17
to Reading Hackspace
Marie is available Sunday, however I need to return my car on Monday so won't be able to get down that evening. I'm also around to be morale support/scapegoat/supervisor/photographer :P

Arthur

Oct 21, 2017, 12:20:43 PM10/21/17
to Reading Hackspace
Looks like the gangs getting back together. Lets do Sunday eve then if we can,

Fe

Oct 21, 2017, 1:22:31 PM10/21/17
to Reading Hackspace
The Scooby gang :P What time would you like us to turn up?

Arthur

Oct 21, 2017, 1:40:07 PM10/21/17
to Reading Hackspace
I'm in london during the day, but should be back 5-6 ish?

On Saturday, 21 October 2017 18:22:31 UTC+1, Fe wrote:
The Scooby gang :P What time would you like us to turn up?I'

Arthur

Oct 23, 2017, 7:37:17 PM10/23/17
to Reading Hackspace

It continues...

I'm afraid downstairs is going to be unusable for at least another day, as we are going to have to do this in three stages.

Gavin

Oct 24, 2017, 2:34:30 AM10/24/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Whoa- this looks amazing Arthur

Oct 24, 2017, 5:52:07 AM10/24/17
to Reading Hackspace
Big shout out to Luke, Marie, Fe, Toby, Charles, Kris, David, Steve, Rupert and who ever I missed for their help moving, painting, encouraging, and providing of "constructive criticism".

I think this is the most team effort I have seen at Rlab for a good while. It's been nice to see

Luke Barnard

Oct 24, 2017, 6:42:26 PM10/24/17
to Reading Hackspace
This evening we painted the last chunk of floor, in the bay. Thanks to Arthur, Derek, and Steve who helped clear the bay, prepare the floor and paint. It will be dry enough to walk on by tomorrow lunch, but will be delicate, so if possible please avoid dragging stuff over it. If you do manage to scuff some off, the paint and brushes are by the sink, and do feel free to just patch it over.

I'll be back in tomorrow around 1700 to move tools back into the bay and tidy downstairs. Another 3 sets of hands will be needed for getting the bandsaw off the trolley, and to help move some of the heavy and/or awkward items. Any help appreciated!

Steve

Oct 25, 2017, 1:02:33 AM10/25/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I should be able to make it this evening for the last push to get
everything back in proper place

Steve

Toby Williams

Oct 25, 2017, 3:14:10 AM10/25/17
to Reading Hackspace
I'll be down

Fe

Oct 25, 2017, 5:59:03 PM10/25/17
to Reading Hackspace

Well I'm a tad late with the photos but ah well :P On Sunday the floor was being cleared for the first lot of painting. Lots of things needed moving:

Until everything was piled away:

And then the final sweep up:

The the painting began (1st coat down):

Removing sticky out bits from holes and then being filled with Microlight:

Second coat:

Arthur needed a sit down and think about what needed to happen the next two evenings of painting:

I think he spotted me!

And now after a few days the work is done, so:

Victory Lap!

A huge thanks to all those who helped out!

Luke Barnard

Nov 3, 2017, 12:49:50 PM11/3/17
to Reading Hackspace

The router table has now been housed on a cabinet on casters. Inside the cabinet you'll find the small router (laminate trimmer), big router, pantograph, and extension tables for the router table. This frees up some workbench space, which has been a bit lacking since painting the floor.

Be sure to make sure the cabinet is steady before using the table.

Also, I really bodged fitting the magnetic latches on the cabinet door and frame. If anyone fancies making good on it, please have at it!