Sewing Machine Workshop

Tara Martel

Sep 18, 2017, 10:35:32 AM9/18/17
to Reading Hackspace
I expect you've all been tripping over the two industrial machines in the downstairs space and thinking, "I wish I knew how to use those,"?

Well now here's your chance!

There will be a workshop at 2pm Saturday 23rd Sept (2017).

I will cover threading, bobbin preparation and needle replacement and we may even make a small leather pouch (if that's your thing) if we have time.

David Jenkins

Sep 20, 2017, 9:36:04 AM9/20/17
to Reading Hackspace

Just turn up?

Tara Martel

Sep 20, 2017, 1:34:30 PM9/20/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
No, I can only do three people at a time so please book by adding your name here.

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 2:35 PM, David Jenkins <donke...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just turn up?

David Jenkins

Sep 21, 2017, 6:24:57 AM9/21/17
to Reading Hackspace
Yes please.

mikethebee

Sep 21, 2017, 6:39:25 AM9/21/17
to Reading Hackspace
I would like to do this, but I'm busy this Sat. Let us know if you plan another session. thx, Mike

Fe

Sep 21, 2017, 10:24:59 AM9/21/17
to Reading Hackspace
Marie would like to come if there's still space :)

Arthur

Sep 21, 2017, 4:37:35 PM9/21/17
to Reading Hackspace
I do want an intro on these but don't know when I will be in on Saturday. So don't count me, but I might show up and see if there is a space :)

Fe

Sep 23, 2017, 6:24:55 AM9/23/17
to Reading Hackspace
Sorry for the late notice, Marie won't be able to make it. I'm not very well and so she is staying home to take care of me. If you run another workshop Marie would be interested. Sorry again.

Tara Martel

Sep 24, 2017, 8:43:04 AM9/24/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Going to run one again Next Saturday at 2pm.

So far we have interest from:

Marie
Arthur
MikeThe Bee.

If you're intending to make it this Saturday please let me know in advance.

Derek Scuffell

Sep 28, 2017, 2:55:05 AM9/28/17
to Reading Hackspace
I'm interested in this, but can't make Saturday. let me know if you're up for running another.
Derek
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to reading-hacksp...@googlegroups.com.

Jay Maxwell

Sep 28, 2017, 7:17:57 AM9/28/17
to Reading Hackspace
Gah!! Missed it :(

- Jay

mikethebee

Fe

Sep 29, 2017, 12:07:33 PM9/29/17
to Reading Hackspace
Tara will you be running another one of these workshops? Unfortunately due to some time constrains Marie won't be able to make this week but she is looking forward to learning how to use the machines. Sorry for being a pest.

Tara Martel

Sep 30, 2017, 6:40:45 AM9/30/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
No worries. I will be there anyway this afternoon and I'm also planning to be there on Monday too but can't be held to a time.

I won't be able to do one for the next couple of Saturdays but I can do one Saturday 21st Oct and again on the 28th.

Fe

Oct 4, 2017, 11:25:15 AM10/4/17
to Reading Hackspace
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Could you do the 21st Oct please? Thank you :)

Tara Martel

Oct 4, 2017, 5:42:51 PM10/4/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Yes.

mikethebee

Oct 5, 2017, 10:31:00 AM10/5/17
to Reading Hackspace
I just want to thank Tara for a thorough and well paced workshop on the two leather sewing machines. I felt confident enough to dive in and make a leather lily as my first project using the hand Patcher machine, and never sewed my finger until I picked up a hand stitching needle later!

-Mike

Tara Martel

Oct 16, 2017, 7:11:54 AM10/16/17
to Reading Hackspace
I will be doing the next Sewing Machine workshop/induction on 28th October if anyone is interested.

Fe

Oct 16, 2017, 10:10:06 AM10/16/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hi Tara,

Are you still doing one on the 21st for Marie? Unfortunately Marie can't make the 28th. If you can't do the 21st is there any other dates you could do? Thank you :)

Tara Martel

Oct 16, 2017, 10:31:36 AM10/16/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I will be away next weekend unfortunately. I was supposed to have gone this weekend just gone but circumstances intervened. Are you about on Wednesday?

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 3:10 PM, 'Fe' via Reading Hackspace <reading-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi Tara,

Are you still doing one on the 21st for Marie? Unfortunately Marie can't make the 28th. If you can't do the 21st is there any other dates you could do? Thank you :)

Fe

Tara Martel

Oct 17, 2017, 5:06:45 PM10/17/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Indeed. Of course I will be doing more and more workshops. Perhaps taking it further with leather crafting, pattern cutting for footwear then on to shoe making. I may even do more advanced sewing machine stuff, showing how to adjust timing and to do minor repairs and adjustments.

Lin Steele

Oct 18, 2017, 4:00:16 AM10/18/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tara,
Is it this Wednesday that there is a workshop/induction?  If so what time?
Thanks
Lindsay :)

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 8:43 PM, 'Fe' via Reading Hackspace <reading-hackspace@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Unfortunately we're busy all of Wednesday, but thank you for the offer :) If you plan to do any more workshops hopefully Marie will be available. Ah schedules, our nemesis :P

On Monday, 16 October 2017 15:31:36 UTC+1, Tara Martel wrote:
I will be away next weekend unfortunately. I was supposed to have gone this weekend just gone but circumstances intervened. Are you about on Wednesday?

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 3:10 PM, 'Fe' via Reading Hackspace <reading-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi Tara,

Are you still doing one on the 21st for Marie? Unfortunately Marie can't make the 28th. If you can't do the 21st is there any other dates you could do? Thank you :)

mikethebee

Oct 19, 2017, 4:26:18 AM10/19/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hello Tara,
I was able to use the treddle on the Patcher, it needed the belt shortening slightly, and I used the smaller below wheel and the larger above one to get enough oomph. It allowed me to use both hands and ran well once I got the knack of starting in the forward direction. I was able to stitch 3 layers of leather and 2 demin together on an edge seam.
Thank you. -Mike

Tara Martel

Oct 22, 2017, 7:03:00 AM10/22/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I will be down about 7ish. The induction takes a couple of hours.