Lathe in an incorrect state

Ryan .

Jan 16, 2017, 3:03:28 PM1/16/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Whoever did this lost their lathe license before they even started.

To be clear about what's wrong, the key is in the chuck and it's a mess.

What the fuck ppl?
IMG_20170116_200009.jpg

Arthur

Jan 16, 2017, 3:47:37 PM1/16/17
to Reading Hackspace
My bad Ryan, I was in late sunday, finished and took the piece upstairs, got talking and completely forgot I hadn't cleaned up. Remembered on the way to work this morning, im sorry.

Ryan .

Jan 16, 2017, 3:57:02 PM1/16/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Understood, thanks for being honest. You know what to do.

Glad it wasn't someone more foolish being more foolish, but still...

Thanks again,
Ryan

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 8:47 PM, Arthur <arthur...@gmail.com> wrote:
My bad Ryan, I was in late sunday, finished and took the piece upstairs, got talking and completely forgot I hadn't cleaned up. Remembered on the way to work this morning, im sorry.

mikethebee

Jan 19, 2017, 6:50:31 AM1/19/17
to Reading Hackspace
It was suggested previously that a chuck key repository with some sort of alerting or interlock mechanism could be a useful reminder. Maybe it is time to revisit this idea, even if in a simple form. The same type could be used with the pillar drill too.
-Mike

Ryan .

Jan 19, 2017, 7:07:53 AM1/19/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
There are so many other dangerous things on both machines that I don't agree with that and I think the correct solution is better training.

mikethebee

Jan 19, 2017, 7:53:14 AM1/19/17
to Reading Hackspace
That answer surprises me, a simple device (similar to an open till reminder) would complement training not replace the need for following the process of removing the key. Even the well trained can get distracted, and I don't see a real downside.
-Mike

On Thursday, 19 January 2017 12:07:53 UTC, Ryan wrote:
There are so many other dangerous things on both machines that I don't agree with that and I think the correct solution is better training.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 11:50 AM, mikethebee rote:

Richard Ibbotson

Jan 19, 2017, 11:38:00 AM1/19/17
to Reading Hackspace
Yes, it did sound a bit dismissive, but I don't think it was meant that way.

Ryan is very focused on making safety a member responsibility and then guiding and supporting members to meet this significant responsibility. If we create too many "safety nets" we likely risk members making dangerous assumptions about their safety and the safety of others. Sometimes he just has to bluntly say to people they messed up, and that they have to fix that. Sure the community might help, but the focus must be on the person who messed up. That's how they learn.They have to fix that, not the community..

We have already seen some good member driven work on improving safety for our more potentially dangerous machines ( Safety posters, yellow chuck key handles, safer layout of tools, greater emphasis on "clean and tidy"). Let's pursue this as members, and as you describe make it more obvious to ourselves and other members when something is not safe, wrong, or out of place. This can easily be done in parallel to the work Ryan is doing.

So yes, I would support solutions which help members to more easily and quickly assess and fix safety issues, but not "guardian angel" safety solutions.
Richard