CNC tools update

Toby Williams

Feb 14, 2018, 4:30:17 AM2/14/18
to Reading Hackspace
Hi,

Boxford

The Boxford is now owned by the space and I have started stripping all the hardware that needs to be returned to James. We will start the process of transplanting in the new control board and fabricating the panels on Saturday afternoon (from 12), any help would be gratefully received.

ShapeOko

The ShapeOko will be 'finished' soon, Richard is having some issues with Windows updates on the box to run the control software. Once that step is finished, we can demonstrate the tool and see if there is demand to upgrade the physical build of the machine.

Toby

Toby Williams

Feb 18, 2018, 7:16:42 PM2/18/18
to Reading Hackspace
After a VERY long and tiring Saturday, the electronics of the boxford have been very permanently switched out. We got as far as test cuts, completing a basic engraving (currently left on top of the machine).

Things left to do:
  • Complete the panels.
  • Replace the 'draft' wring with more suitable cabling.
  • Get suitable PC in place (see Richard's thread)
  • Sort out coolant system
  • Test tool paths including tool changes
  • Sort out tool length offsets
Richard and I will be resuming on Tuesday night, we'll be grateful if anybody fancies lending a hand.

Toby

Tony Short

Feb 18, 2018, 8:30:28 PM2/18/18
to Reading Hackspace
Looked like a quality initial example output, and much faster than before. Well done both!

Toby Williams

Feb 25, 2018, 12:18:22 PM2/25/18
to Reading Hackspace
Cnc update.

Yo, last night I ran the first serious part on the Boxford (A bracket for Simon's Car, pictures on Twitter).

There's still a lot to do, but this really validates we are on the right path and the end is in sight.

Toby

Alex Gibson

Feb 25, 2018, 2:58:01 PM2/25/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I saw it, looks great!

Do you think it would be easy to set up the Shapeoko, or even the Boxford, for isolation milling small PCBs in the very near future?

Cheers

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765 @alexgibson3d 37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

• Project management
• Operations & Process improvement
• 3D Printing

Toby Williams

Feb 25, 2018, 3:40:53 PM2/25/18
to Reading Hackspace
PCB milling should be possible but will be a quite challenging application.

Shapeoko doesn't stand a chance, the Boxford should be capable but will require very careful setup/experimentation. Vice tram, head tram and work offsets will all be key.

Toby

Alex Gibson

Feb 25, 2018, 3:52:40 PM2/25/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, I understand the Boxford has far greater precision…

I’m happy to experiment, I guess it’s a new tool now so I’d be grateful for a basic induction when you’ve got a moment please?

Lots of questions:

Ideally I should prepare as far as possible in advance – what’s the current toolchain?

If I bring in separate DXFs of the intended isolation cuts and the edge/hole cuts will that be enough?

Is it manual tramming only, or is there any use of Smoothieware levelling yet? http://smoothieware.org/pcb-milling

Cheers

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

Toby Williams

Feb 25, 2018, 4:12:20 PM2/25/18
to Reading Hackspace

Tool isn't commissioned yet.

I have no idea how 'inductions' are going to work as 90% of the hard work is done in CAD/CAM and that's a really really big subject.

Ideally I should prepare as far as possible in advance – what’s the current toolchain? You need gcode for importing into CNCjs

If I bring in separate DXFs of the intended isolation cuts and the edge/hole cuts will that be enough? No idea

Is it manual tramming only, or is there any use of Smoothieware levelling yet? There's a lot more to tramming than that, we will probably need to think about getting some indicators for use with the mill.

Other things to consider:

How will you hold the pcb? the vice will cause the the pcb to flex and so will the tool pushing against the pcb.

Do you intend to do all the work with one tool or will you need to set the tool offsets?

How small a tool do you need to use? Are the end mill holders/collet chucks that we have precise enough?

Toby

Alex Gibson

Feb 25, 2018, 4:43:55 PM2/25/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Yes – induction is getting a little ahead I guess.  I successfully used the original configuration of the boxford and have driven the Shapeoko with smoothie, but not this configuration.

Honestly, I understand the principles 100% but don’t know much of the actual CAM process I’d need to follow - I will get researching it.

This looks like a decent set of steps to start with… http://www.instructables.com/id/PCB-designing-and-isolationmilling-only-using-free/

We have 0.9mm drill bits with the micro drill, at a pinch I could either make a collet on the lathe or use an adjustable micro collet I have.

Do we have a 3mm (or near) endmill do you think?  I assume we don’t have a V-bit and I’d need to get one?

I get that tramming can be complex – but small PCB milling isn’t that demanding, I’ve seen some very wonky CNC machines produce nice PCBs!  I would double-sided-tape the PCB down to a stiffer material to set it up, and in the board size I’m looking at (Arduino sized) just trial and error should do.  Crucial to do plenty of tests in thin air nowhere near a part, to protect the tool.

Cheers

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

Feb 25, 2018, 8:54:18 PM2/25/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

The toolchain we have worked with for milling is Fusion360 for 3D CAD, through the Fusion360 CAM and post-processor to g-code. The cnc.js is the controller and g-code sender to the Smoothie board.

I you want to do PCB milling and drilling, you need to do the PCB CAM to create g-code using another app, DXF not enough

The Boxford spindle speed is rather slow for PCB milling and drilling (4000 rpm) but will still work if you drop the feeds too.

Andy Noyes

Feb 26, 2018, 5:06:27 AM2/26/18
to Reading Hackspace
I would have thought the Shapeoko is far better suited to PCB milling than the Boxford. The Boxford does not have the spindle speed required, and it does not require a very rigid machine. As for tramming the head to the workpiece, that's not the approach normally used for engraving thin materials and is fiddly to set up each time. Better is to use a floating Z axis that references the depth of cut to the workpiece itself eg. something like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP_SP0GEjHY

Toby Williams

Feb 28, 2018, 8:27:13 AM2/28/18
to Reading Hackspace

CNC Tools Update:

Last night, Richard and I cleaned up the wiring and fitted up the buttons/switches for the front panel. We also fitted a power switch/connector on the back that currently does sweet FA (will be used for solenoids and mains switching).

Here's a picture of the progress.

Toby