Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement

Gavin

Jul 1, 2015, 5:35:38 PM7/1/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

On the basis that there does not, as far as I can see, seem to be an argument raging on the list this evening* - must be the heat - I thought I'd post this as food for thought.

This guy Graham produced something that has become known on Wikipedia as the Hierarchy of Disagreement. In an essay titled 'How to disagree' he suggested that were seven distinct levels of argument, starting with 'Refuting the Central Point' descending through 'Responding to tone' down, ultimately, to 'Name calling'. I don't recall seeing name-calling on here, but it seems to me that sometimes we needlessly sink down the hierarchy, often as a result of nothing more than misunderstanding. We should try not to.

* of course, if there was an argument raging this evening, this might be misconstrued as Responding to Tone or worse

Gavin

Jul 1, 2015, 5:38:52 PM7/1/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
For a slightly longer - but worthwhile - read, here is the original essay: http://www.paulgraham.com/disagree.html

Norro

Jul 1, 2015, 6:29:18 PM7/1/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I don't like this twerp's tone

Ryan .

Jul 1, 2015, 6:34:15 PM7/1/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Ohhh the trolling is strong :)

Gavin

Jul 1, 2015, 6:54:13 PM7/1/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
virtuosic trolling - the base three-layers of the pyramid with six words!

Tara Martel

Jul 4, 2015, 7:03:44 PM7/4/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
No it isn't!

Hugo Mills

Jul 4, 2015, 7:06:14 PM7/4/15
On Sat, Jul 04, 2015 at 04:03:43PM -0700, Tara Martel wrote:
> No it isn't!

Is this a 5-minute argument, or the full half hour?

--
Hugo Mills | vi vi vi: the Editor of the Beast.
hugo@... carfax.org.uk |

Richard Ibbotson

Jul 4, 2015, 8:39:49 PM7/4/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I am just lost as to why a member should create a provocative thread based on argument theory, rather than focus on our creative achievements. and not address the inevitable passions and conflicts that this creates.

Gavin

Jul 5, 2015, 6:38:06 AM7/5/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Not intended to be provocative. When I stumbled across it earlier in the week it made me think about the discussions we have here (which are generally good by these standards) and why they sometimes get heated. I thought it offered a useful perspective. Nothing more than that.

Tara Martel

Jul 5, 2015, 12:38:30 PM7/5/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I just thought it a joke TBH... Hence my post! LOL

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 11:38 AM, Gavin <gavi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Not intended to be provocative. When I stumbled across it earlier in the week it made me think about the discussions we have here (which are generally good by these standards) and why they sometimes get heated. I thought it offered a useful perspective. Nothing more than that.

Gavin Gaunt

Jul 5, 2015, 12:58:27 PM7/5/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
... and a good opportunity for people like Norro, who knows all too well that he can be a bit of a troll, to mock themselves