Creative workshops, any takers/requests ??

Tony Short

Sep 14, 2016, 11:39:48 AM9/14/16
to Reading Hackspace

A number of members have approached me about running some more 'formal' workshops on how to use the laser cutter (and other machines) to create similar stuff to that I've been making recently.

I would aim for them for be limited to 2-3 hours max (could be half day if there is demand), there may be a charge to cover costs of the materials needed, but does mean you won't have to search around for items and pay a lot for P&P etc

Each workshop would focus on a particular 'make' but customisation would be possible, and would cover the end-to-end process so you could take the basic idea and replicate/modify to your heart's content.

Possible options include:

  • Laser cut decorative boxes
  • Engraved wooden gifts (chopping boards etc)
  • 2.5D name plates (for kids bedrooms or houses)
  • Laser cut upcycled brooches / jewellery
  • Vinyl cut t-shirt designing
  • Vinyl cut 'stained glass' mini-windows
...or if anyone has seen anything else that they would like to know how to make, let me know!

Let me know if you are interested, if I've missed anything, and whether and evening or daytime (weekend) would be better (or a combination).

Below is a link to some examples if you've missed them in the space or on my Twitter feed.

https://goo.gl/photos/N63PkpQRpaqTDJ1c8

Ryan .

Sep 14, 2016, 11:42:25 AM9/14/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

*jumps up and down* me me me me

Actually, save Susie a spot, I wouldn't know where to start!

:) thanks so much Tony!

daprigoo

Sep 14, 2016, 12:28:30 PM9/14/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

yes please.

David

Marcus

Sep 14, 2016, 1:04:12 PM9/14/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Sounds great! Sign me up :P

gavi...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2016, 1:06:23 PM9/14/16
to Marcus, reading-...@googlegroups.com

I'd love to make some of those boxes

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

Robert Rundle

Sep 14, 2016, 1:15:23 PM9/14/16
to Reading Hackspace
count me in

Ian Petrie

Sep 14, 2016, 1:17:32 PM9/14/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Me too please

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016, Robert Rundle <nvng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> count me in

Laurence Rochfort

Sep 14, 2016, 1:27:42 PM9/14/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

If you want a teaching assistant for box making, Tony, then I can lend a hand.

The other stuff, not so much :)

Keegan Neave

Derek Scuffell

Sep 14, 2016, 2:26:26 PM9/14/16
to Reading Hackspace
I'm in defo

jes...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2016, 5:07:43 PM9/14/16
to Reading Hackspace
Oooh - yes, yes, yes please! :D

Alex Gibson

Sep 14, 2016, 5:39:40 PM9/14/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
It sounds great, thanks for proposing it.  Up to my neck in other things but hope I can come along or support in some way.

Alex

Tapped on my mobile phone.

David Zilberberg

Sep 15, 2016, 3:23:11 AM9/15/16
to Reading Hackspace
Tony,
Would love to join in some of the sessions.
TBH mu focus would be using the tools like inkscape , 3d creation etc. but if need to pick speific topic.
Laser engraving is my next thing i think :)

Thanks chap for the initiative.

dz

Pete Montford

Sep 15, 2016, 3:52:32 AM9/15/16
to Reading Hackspace
I'd definitely be up for exactly something like this!!

Thanks!

Tony Short

Sep 15, 2016, 5:05:36 AM9/15/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
That would be great, though you could probably run one yourself!

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016, 18:17 Ian Petrie, <i...@the-petries.co.uk> wrote:
Me too please

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016, Robert Rundle <nvng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> count me in

Laurence Rochfort

Sep 15, 2016, 5:12:17 AM9/15/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Super duper.

Given that you've had an overwhelming response and space in the space (hur hur) is limited, how about we see if we need to split the group?

You about tonight? We could plan your curriculum.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 10:05 AM Tony Short <to...@tomodomo.net> wrote:
That would be great, though you could probably run one yourself!

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 at 18:27, Laurence Rochfort <laurence...@gmail.com> wrote:

If you want a teaching assistant for box making, Tony, then I can lend a hand.

The other stuff, not so much :)

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016, 18:17 Ian Petrie, <i...@the-petries.co.uk> wrote:
Me too please

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016, Robert Rundle <nvng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> count me in

Stuart Ward

Sep 16, 2016, 6:16:26 AM9/16/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Yes...

Stuart Ward

Sep 16, 2016, 6:18:27 AM9/16/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Yes please. sorry replied to wrong thread.

Laurence Rochfort

Sep 18, 2016, 5:09:01 AM9/18/16
to Reading Hackspace
Hey Tony,

Seems you have a good number of people.

Want to split them up into groups?

You in evenings next week to chat?

Cheers,
Laurence

Tara Martel

Sep 18, 2016, 9:10:14 AM9/18/16
to Reading Hackspace
Me please.

mikethebee

Sep 22, 2016, 8:41:03 AM9/22/16
to Reading Hackspace
Any Dates yet? We have used doodle.com to successfully choose dates in the past. - MtB

George Gregson

Sep 22, 2016, 12:37:31 PM9/22/16
to Reading Hackspace
bit late to the party but I'm keen too! =] when we're you thinking?

G Albatross

Sep 22, 2016, 5:42:21 PM9/22/16
to Reading Hackspace
Another latecomer, but I'd be interested, and don't mind chipping in for materials.
Whatever the focus is, count me in.

Ashish Passi

Sep 23, 2016, 2:25:22 AM9/23/16
to Reading Hackspace
On Wednesday, 14 September 2016 16:39:48 UTC+1, Tony Short wrote:
> A number of members have approached me about running some more 'formal' workshops on how to use the laser cutter (and other machines) to create similar stuff to that I've been making recently.
>
> I would aim for them for be limited to 2-3 hours max (could be half day if there is demand), there may be a charge to cover costs of the materials needed, but does mean you won't have to search around for items and pay a lot for P&P etc
>
> Each workshop would focus on a particular 'make' but customisation would be possible, and would cover the end-to-end process so you could take the basic idea and replicate/modify to your heart's content.
>
> Possible options include:
>
> Laser cut decorative boxesEngraved wooden gifts (chopping boards etc)2.5D name plates (for kids bedrooms or houses)Laser cut upcycled brooches / jewelleryVinyl cut t-shirt designingVinyl cut 'stained glass' mini-windows...or if anyone has seen anything else that they would like to know how to make, let me know!
>
> Let me know if you are interested, if I've missed anything, and whether and evening or daytime (weekend) would be better (or a combination).
>
> Below is a link to some examples if you've missed them in the space or on my Twitter feed.
>
> https://goo.gl/photos/N63PkpQRpaqTDJ1c8

Loved all the work you showed at the open day yesterday. Waiting for cards for now. But would love to register my interest for the workshop.. :-)

pierre...@imelavi.fr

Sep 23, 2016, 10:26:22 AM9/23/16
to Reading Hackspace
Tony,
Yes book me on the waiting list....
I need to look at the group more often.
Good news is I have just got a lot of corex.....
On my way.
Pierre

Joann jowrites

Sep 26, 2016, 7:03:28 PM9/26/16
to Reading Hackspace
Sounds great. I'd love to come to one.

Tony Short

Oct 6, 2016, 4:34:40 PM10/6/16
to Reading Hackspace
Thanks all for your enthusiastic response, I was very surprised!

Unfortunately I've been ill for the last few weeks, hence the radio silence on this.

The plan is to run a series of workshops at different times/days that cover the list below. People can then signup to the ones that suit.

I want to package the projects to make it easier for other members to run workshops should they have the inclination.

I'm aiming to run workshops over 2 months before Christmas, starting in a week or so.

More to follow...