Waterproof power connector

Stuart Livings

Apr 29, 2016, 11:30:06 AM4/29/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Heya,

I've looked a fair amount and can't find anything perfect for my
requirements. I'm looking to find a power connector suitable for
connecting solar panels to substitute from the 'industry standard' MC4
connector.

The issue is that I'm trying to fit the connector for the solar panels
under the solar panels themselves, it should comprise two parts:

Part 1 (receptacle) should be a panel mount connector which I fix (bond)
to the roof of the van.

Part 2 (plug) should be a connector which I can insert two 4sq-mm or two
6sq-mm power cables from the solar panel itself.

Part 1 is required to be waterproof whether Part 2 is inserted or not
and must be stable at motorway speeds in both configurations (i.e. no
loose waterproof covers).

Part 2 is not required to be waterproof when separated from Part 1.

Part 2 should present the cables parallel to the panel, i.e. at right
angles to the mating motion of the connector.

The mating of parts 1 and 2 should be very positive, requiring high
dexterity or a tool to separate them. Connection cycles will be low
(<10), but reconnection must be possible (to replace broken panels, etc).

Voltage will be low (<50vDC) but current will be high (approx 10A,
aiming for 30A connector rating to reduce resistance).

The MC4 connector is inappropriate for my uses, putting this connector
between the roof and the panel will cause issues due to vibration and
turbulence, putting this connector inside the van will make panel
removal very tricky. MC4 is available in panel mount but not with a
right-angle connector.

It is acceptable (though not preferred) for the two poles of the
connector to be separate, i.e. so that positive and negative are
connected separately.

Has anyone come across a connector which meets these requirements? I
seek only two receptacles (Part 1) and two plugs (Part 2), though I
suspect I'll get a spare set of plugs Just In Case.

Thank you all in advance for any thoughts you can offer!

Stuart

Stuart Ward

Apr 29, 2016, 5:01:59 PM4/29/16
to Reading Hackspace
I have seen connectors with screw on seal covers, I presume that these are rated at the IP protection level something like:

Stuart

-- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143

Stuart

Ryan .

Apr 29, 2016, 7:42:58 PM4/29/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
How waterproof? Are you sure it needs to be right angle?

Stuart Livings

Apr 30, 2016, 4:20:04 PM4/30/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ryan,

'Need' is the wrong word, but it'll make the cable routing more natural.  There's not a lot of room under the panel (exact amounts to be determined, estimate 20mm max) and I'd like to bury the connector under the panel if possible.

Stuart,

Yeah, these look reasonably good but there's no dimensional data on the right angle versions (that I've found so far).  Looking at the straight ones I think they're likely to be too large to sneak under the panels.

I foresee a fugly box going on the roof with straight connectors installed...

Thank you both, willing to hear any more ideas ...

Stuart

Richard / rgproduct

May 1, 2016, 9:08:09 AM5/1/16
to Reading Hackspace
Tonka waterproof i assume. To be installed in a wind driven environment. Very. R

Tom Allen

May 2, 2016, 4:22:45 AM5/2/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

May I ask why it even needs to be removable? I've never had to remove one yet. Longest install I've done is still on a van nine years now.

On 1 May 2016 2:08 p.m., "Richard / rgproduct" <rgpr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Tonka waterproof i assume.  To be installed in a wind driven environment. Very.  R

Stuart Livings

May 2, 2016, 4:08:07 PM5/2/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

It's a very good question :)

On the other side of the outer skin of the van are layers of insulation and interior.  If I ever *did* have to remove/change/upgrade the panel and didn't have a connector outside the van skin I'd need to strip large quantities of "permanently" fixed interior and then refit them.

It's interesting to hear that yours is still working well after nine years.  While I'd MUCH rather have a connector it gives me slightly less concern about the problem.

Thanks :)
Stuart

Tom Allen

May 3, 2016, 2:14:02 AM5/3/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Would you though? I normally leave 300mm slack on wire on roof side lightly glued to underside of panel. If I ever did need to change it ID just use a little epoxy splice kit. But seriously, you might add more panels , but don't plan on replacing them before you get another van!