Picams

Ryan .

Sep 6, 2016, 2:39:38 PM9/6/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

Does anyone object to me re-purposing two of the picam raspis for use with the two big TVs around?

Not sure what to display on them yet, but I'd rather use a pi than a desktop PC for sure.

Ideas?

Matthew Daubney

Sep 6, 2016, 2:59:43 PM9/6/16
to Reading Hackspace
I do!

I was looking forward to having the cam feed back, as I used it regularly. They have a purpose right now, I'd rather they didn't vanish on a wishy washy "I don't know what for".

Pi's are cheap. Get some more if we need some more.

Ryan .

Sep 6, 2016, 3:01:00 PM9/6/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Hokay! No sweat. I know others found them useful as well.

N/m :)

David Zilberberg

Sep 7, 2016, 5:13:35 AM9/7/16
to Reading Hackspace
if you'll ask nicely i might have a pi B you can out to good use.... at Rlab
kodi/xbmc/openelec run just fine and can stream many many things.
I'm afraid no Canadian wild birth documentaries dedicated channels to my knowledge ;)

Ryan .

Sep 7, 2016, 5:25:41 AM9/7/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

There's always the fireplace channel, that's pretty awesome in winter.

Plus, I'm guessing by the fact that at least one of the TVs has fans in it, there would be realistic warmth as well :)

Ryan .

Sep 7, 2016, 8:13:58 AM9/7/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Do we have any numbers on maximum concurrent viewers to help with building v2?

What did folks use them for? Pure occupancy detection or seeing specifically who's around?

Ian Petrie

Sep 7, 2016, 8:34:24 AM9/7/16
to Reading Hackspace
I used it for both. Regularly.

Gavin Gavin

Sep 7, 2016, 8:54:57 AM9/7/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Also handy to see what activity is happening and what tools are in use, so that you can judge whether you’d be able to get a bit of work done

Alex Gibson

Sep 7, 2016, 10:03:23 AM9/7/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com, reading-...@googlegroups.com
I use it for all those things, and also even for a sense of the space being a thing you can visit remotely, and keep track of what's going on.

Assuming a solution to any governance issues, I would like to see a few more cameras, for example pointing at whatever we call the old 3 week shelves this week, to see what's appeared and remind what needs removing.

I appreciate there are a couple of chunky issues to address and get a policy around - where are they defined and how can we help fix them to get this back as a resource in some form?

Tapped on my mobile phone.

Richard Ibbotson

Sep 7, 2016, 10:06:36 AM9/7/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

I too miss the cameras for all the above reasons.

Used to access them at least once per day.

Richard

Ryan .

Sep 7, 2016, 10:07:13 AM9/7/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Easy enough to fix apparently just put it behind a password.

There has already been extensive discussion about it and I don't want to revisit it, I just want to reinstate it in a compliant way that is also useful.

Also, considering how much bandwidth live video takes it's important to try to figure out some usage patterns. If we only need to serve (say maybe) 5 concurrent users, that would be easier than 100. (I dunno, I like proper live video, maybe not for the lost and found, but for general areas...)

Ian Petrie

Sep 7, 2016, 10:57:24 AM9/7/16
to Reading Hackspace
I was happy enough with regular picture updates. No need for video - though I appreciated video for the outside camera.

gavi...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2016, 11:06:57 AM9/7/16
to Ian Petrie, Reading Hackspace

I suppose it depends on what’s involved, but think there are security benefits of having a more continuous stream.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

Sep 7, 2016, 11:20:49 AM9/7/16
to Reading Hackspace, i...@the-petries.co.uk
The outside one was also useful for judging how full the car park is.

A single snap every few minutes is enough to see if people are around, or a machine is in use/has been left on.

Alex Gibson

Sep 7, 2016, 11:46:11 AM9/7/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Considering bandwidth only, from a few angles:

Important to consider the different use cases per camera for bandwidth.  I think a camera on the 3 week shelves (and even on other storage areas) would be worth having, long term – especially given the level of debate around this.  However a snapshot per hour would be plenty to make this as useful as it can be in my opinion.  So the bandwidth cost is negligible, we’ve already sunk the cost of the software stack from the other cameras, so when considering if it’s worth having, it’s versus just the cost of a pi and a little more of the same maintenance.

I assume we can set the broadcast framerate independently of the capture to disk storage?

It should be possible for each pi to throttle its frequency of frames broadcast and/or captured if the measured amount of movement in front of the camera is below a set threshold indicating no people are present.  Doing this may allow us to more freely ramp up the frame rate when things get interesting, within the same bandwidth budget.

Similarly, especially if we have access controlled via password, we can do useful things to control bandwidth usage – no point broadcasting at high bandwidth if zero people are watching.

Finally, if the bandwidth cost of having the kind of live video framerate that gives a sense of ‘being there’ is hugely higher than the cost of providing snapshots, we could implement micropayment to fund it directly (paypal donate button honesty box is a minimum viable product suggestion).

Sep 7, 2016, 11:50:09 AM9/7/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Yep, all that is possible, and along the lines of what I was thinking.

Cool, let's make it go! 99% of the infra is already there, methinks management via puppet/ansible and proper dns/firewall/ip config is needed, plus the actual video bits.

Norro

Sep 11, 2016, 1:53:10 PM9/11/16
to Reading Hackspace
I don't think its just a cost issue. Video is a lot more invasive as a privacy issue than a regular snapshot.

Ryan .

Sep 28, 2016, 7:44:36 PM9/28/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hey all, got two new IP cameras and started testing one of them.

Very interesting bit of kit.

Very good quality image, even in low light.

Definitely phones home, but seems to work without an internet connection, at least after initial configuration.

The WiFi config on it is done by installing an app on an eg. android device and placing the speaker of the android device close to the microphone of the camera. It then squaks some kind of tone at the camera microphone and the camera sorts itself out.

Oh yeah, and you can talk back over it using the android app!

So, yeah, anyone who wants to have a play with it let me know. I think we should probably make it so it doesn't 'phone home' somehow, not quite sure how, but...promising at least, at least with the android app.

Neat toy.

bar...@iware.co.uk

Sep 29, 2016, 1:28:23 AM9/29/16
to Reading Hackspace

Laurence Rochfort

Sep 29, 2016, 2:16:43 AM9/29/16
to Reading Hackspace

Best way to prevent it phoning home is to set its default gateway to NULL and/or block its MAC on the firewall.

Oh, and not allowing it access to a speak-and-spell, rotary phone, turntable, sawblade and an umbrella of course.

gavi...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2016, 2:24:50 AM9/29/16
to Laurence Rochfort, Reading Hackspace

😊

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

Best way to prevent it phoning home is to set its default gateway to NULL and/or block its MAC on the firewall.

daprigoo

Sep 29, 2016, 2:27:28 AM9/29/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

umbrella?

daprigoo

Sep 29, 2016, 2:28:19 AM9/29/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Oh bog - ignore that, I recognised the reference as soon as I had pressed send..

Ryan .

Sep 29, 2016, 6:09:57 AM9/29/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Wow! V cool hack. Was wondering how long it would be before something like this.

That's why I'm worried, for sure. The reason I was asking about the AP creds last night was to see if I could make a second SSID on it. If not, then what I suppose I should do is add another AP on a separate SSID, put it on a separate VLAN or something (??? I only just learned that word) and lock it the hell down, connect the cameras to that and make them go through something else to clean them up to get the streams back on the interwebs?

That's the sorta thing I'd like to get some gear and a crew together and hack at one evening. Might be nice to learn more about the camera itself as well, and maybe publish some info about it online, it's quite a nice and very cheap indeed PTZ.

Another interesting thing is there's no antenna in the antenna, it's only there for show...

David Zilberberg

Sep 29, 2016, 8:12:05 AM9/29/16
to Reading Hackspace
good learning curve mate.
As vLAN goes, without proper physical separation you still at risk ;)
google for vlan hopper , yersinia etc.

Happy to lend a helping hand when you have access to the boxes.
dz

Ryan .

Sep 29, 2016, 8:23:34 AM9/29/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
So would we need another interface on the vHost?

Paul Lettington

Sep 29, 2016, 8:37:49 AM9/29/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
No, there are no possibilities for traffic to jump between vlans unless
you have misconfigured your switches.

Paul.

Ryan .

Oct 5, 2016, 8:16:04 PM10/5/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
OK, hardware is all together. I've got a PC at the space with ESXi installed on it and a 4-port NIC, a decent wireless access point, the camera and a tablet to squak the config at it.

Now I (we?) need to sketch out the system design for this.

How does it all connect together? What VMs need to be built? What software goes on them?

Ryan .

Oct 6, 2016, 8:42:14 AM10/6/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Any comments or expansion on that crappy network diagram from our resident experts or should I JFDI?

Ryan .

Oct 6, 2016, 11:11:35 AM10/6/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Anyone good at translating chinese SDKs? Here's the one for the camera

Mark Robson

Oct 6, 2016, 12:21:14 PM10/6/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Which host runs the DHCPd for 192.168.x ?

Is it the same host as the public IP one?

Maybe we can just have one host connected to both networks which also publishes the pictures (keeps everything simple), but does not provide any routing (phone-home) capability for the ip cams?

Maybe just one VM which does the DHCP for the 192.168 net, and also runs the webcam software. Can we reverse-proxy a public-facing web server into the ipcams' web servers (using nginx or something)? Bonus points for TLS configuration and authentication.

Mark

David Zilberberg

Oct 6, 2016, 3:05:34 PM10/6/16
to Reading Hackspace
you around tonight, can pop in after dinner
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to reading-hacksp...@googlegroups.com.

Ryan .

Oct 6, 2016, 8:54:48 PM10/6/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, yeah, I was.

So I've made some progress, all the hardware is set up and talking, but the network is not in the right configuration.

Anyone who's interested is welcome to play. Remote access is possible, just send me your ssh key and I'll sort it.

The diagram is up to date with the current state of affairs, if anyone is interested in helping, let me know. I'm running out of knowledge v. quickly.

Stuart Ward

Oct 7, 2016, 12:57:51 PM10/7/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Sent

Marcus

Oct 13, 2016, 12:27:49 PM10/13/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I'm a bit late to the party here.

I note that we're giving out publicly routable IPs on the wifi; is it worth changing that to a NAT network for security, or are we confident in the firewall on that network?
The security benefit would be not exposing people's unsecured machines to the internet.

We could set up a separate DMZ network (and Wifi SSID if needed) to allocate those public addresses.

I'm happy to help out with this stuff!
Marcus

PS: Also, I'm keen to sort the DNS funnies mentioned in the other thread!

Norro

Oct 13, 2016, 2:50:50 PM10/13/16
to Reading Hackspace
Technically using NAT is not any more secure. If you arn't confident in the firewall why would you assume that there are no ports forwarded on a NAT?

I believe the point of giving out public facing IPs is that eventually whenever the mainstream finally get shoved onto IPv6 all IPs will be public facing, there won't be any NAT, so use this to get used to it.

Laurence Rochfort

Oct 13, 2016, 4:25:36 PM10/13/16
to Reading Hackspace

Im not at all convinced that when IPv6 is the norm that all IPs will be public facing.

Even if you trust your firewall config you increase your attack surface by exposing your IPs and information associated with them.

NAT and the obfuscation it provides isn't security by itself but it is abstraction and there are admin and security advantages to that.

Also it makes for an admin headache when you get beyond Tonka Toy SME scale setups.

Besides if you take away all the unnecessary complexity how will people justify their pointless overpriced Cisco qualifications?!

Marcus Cobden

Oct 13, 2016, 4:53:41 PM10/13/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I expect once mainstream does go ipv6 we’ll see the v6 home firewalls do nat-like things minus the rewriting, perhaps just blocking inbound connections, because that’s what people have come to expect.

I’m aware of the technicality, but I was kind of approaching this from a different angle
When you have the option of “just connecting to the wifi” you kind of assume that it’s like all other wifi networks.

At this point I know nothing about the rlab network, other than it a) gives out public addresses b) has some kind of firewall c) someone suggested in an offhand way that I make sure my machine is secure.

If the network is firewalled from the internet nicely then I don’t need to overly worry about attack from the internet, the rest of this email is pointless/hypothetical, and we probably don’t need to split off a DMZ network.

Now, I’m sure those of us interested in the network at rLab can investigate the firewall and secure our own machines, but I’m sure there are some members who really couldn’t care less, or would rather be doing other things with their time.
Certainly we should probably tell people it’s not your average wifi network.

That’s the idea behind having the public IPs in a DMZ network; If you just want to do the wifi and not care, then you’re not getting yourself in any trouble, and if you know what you’re getting yourself in to it’s just as simple as it was before.

Mark Robson

Oct 13, 2016, 4:54:08 PM10/13/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Laurence,

Mobile devices are now the norm. When you connect to a shared network, NAT won't protect you against malicious actors on the local network. Moreover, the network itself can't really be trusted.

So I disagree, NAT provides only the thinnest veneer of perceived security.

Mark

Laurence Rochfort

Oct 13, 2016, 5:52:27 PM10/13/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

I think i probably wasn't that clear. I'm watching Breaking Bad and typing :)

I completely agree that NAT isn't security but I do think that even with IPv6 its still a useful admin tool and component in a larger security setup.

It won't help my device on a public network, but on the other side of the coin if Im running a large network then its still useful.

Norro

Oct 14, 2016, 9:53:15 AM10/14/16
to Reading Hackspace
Technically theres not much difference between a firewall with rules to do NAT (inc forwarded ports) and a routed firewall only allowing certain ports. They both should secure by default and both only allow in connections on ports that have been added specifically. Someone could let in any port on your public IP, but likewise someone could port forward every port to your NAT'd 'internal' IP. Either way you would be completely exposed.

So the perception that NAT provides greater security is really based on common but false assumption that a firewall steps in to block things rather than blocks by default.

Marcus

Oct 14, 2016, 10:34:43 AM10/14/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Right, so what is the rlab firewall actually configured to do?
If it blocks everything by default and has no exceptions then we don't need to carry this discussion on further.

The slight difference between opening ports with NAT and non-NAT firewalls is that you have to pick a destination IP for any ports you open, where you could (accidentally?) open it up for all IPs without nat.
So if someone thinks they'd like to run a public webserver only one IP is affected if they get the config wrong.

Stuart Ward

Oct 14, 2016, 10:55:24 AM10/14/16
to Reading Hackspace

On 13 October 2016 at 19:50, Norro <st...@tuuk.co.uk> wrote:
I believe the point of giving out public facing IPs is that eventually whenever the mainstream finally get shoved onto IPv6 all IPs will be public facing, there won't be any NAT, so use this to get used to it.

rLab is fully on IPv6 now, as we are using Andrews & Arnold, you will get an IPv4 Public address and provided your machine is IPv6 capable it will generate a IPv6 Address that is routable. I seem to have about 50% of my home traffic IPv6 at the moment.

Stuart

--
Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143

Laurence Rochfort

Oct 14, 2016, 11:03:33 AM10/14/16
to Reading Hackspace

Ted,

This is fantastic.

Preliminary testing shows automatic kmalloc alignment changes according to ccNUMA context.

In particular, this reduces the likelihood page allocation starvation (not failure) on very high order NUMA systems thanks to more accurate page size resolution.

However, on SPARC64 I'm seeing a bug where the mobo DRAM boundary is being applied to the CPU card DRAM *only after* the first NUMA boundary interrogation occurs for mobo DRAM. The boundary is correctly applied to CPU DRAM up until this point.

I noticed two things.

__asm_numa_ctx is no longer reentrant.

The above is now used instead of the get_numa_env macro, which of course makes sense.

I can only trigger this on our boxes with 128 CPU threads and 512GB RAM or less. I don't run into it on our M8000 or M9000. I don't have an M7 based system to test against. The entry level M7 super has 1024 CPU threads and 4TB RAM.

We need to come up with a stress test for those.

Would you please try to reproduce on an M7 super and pull my branch to test my asm patch?

Ta!

mikethebee

Ryan .

Oct 15, 2016, 5:49:55 PM10/15/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Dude, who's Ted, wtf is numa and where TF do I get a M7?!?!!!??

Hugo Mills

Oct 15, 2016, 5:59:06 PM10/15/16
On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 10:49:52PM +0100, Ryan wrote:
> Dude, who's Ted, wtf is numa and where TF do I get a M7?!?!!!??

I can tell you what NUMA is, at least. :)

It's Non-Uniform Memory Architecture. Basically, it's a computer
where all the RAM isn't accessible in the same way. The most common
implementation you're likely to encounter is on a modern multi-socket
x86 system, where each CPU has some of the RAM attached to it. So CPU0
can reach its own directly-attached RAM through its own internal MMU,
but it has to send a message (over some kind of internal CPU-to-CPU
bus) to another CPU if it wants to read the RAM attached to that.

NUMA systems tend to be on the larger end of the range.

Hugo.
Hugo Mills | Unix: For controlling fungal diseases in crops
hugo@... carfax.org.uk |
http://carfax.org.uk/ |
PGP: E2AB1DE4 |
signature.asc

Laurence Rochfort

Oct 16, 2016, 4:20:01 AM10/16/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Hmmm.

I should stop reading the forum at work I guess? Its just more interesting than work email.....

Bright? Kinda. That's the great thing about kernel stuff it makes you sound like a wizard :) I couldnt build a decent website if my life depended on it though!!!

Ryan, the power consumption of one of our M7 systems would make Stan look positively frugal!

Ryan .

Oct 16, 2016, 4:45:11 AM10/16/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Stan takes up to 30 kW, you serious?

Laurence Rochfort

Oct 16, 2016, 4:57:48 AM10/16/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Aaaaah, Stan wins!

A nominal load out for an M9000 is 14kw, but we just moved all our new M7 engineered systems over to PCIe NVME cards so removing all the those rotational HDDs should drop that a lot.

Toby is exactly correct about NUMA. Its all to do with managing different memory speeds, bucket sizes and physical distances from tje CPU.

In the case of SPARC you often have several gigs of dedicated DRAM directly on a Pentium II CPU card. This us much more than intel and managing this stuff for multiple architectures is proving hard.

Anyhoo, Ill stop hijacking this thread.....

Ryan .

Oct 16, 2016, 5:01:39 AM10/16/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Pentium II?

Computers are complicated.

As for picams, let's hack all the things when I'm back from Rome :)

Laurence Rochfort

Oct 16, 2016, 5:02:50 AM10/16/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Pentium II style card :)