Water softener insulation?

Gavin

Feb 18, 2018, 4:16:14 PM2/18/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I went into the cupboard under the stairs this evening to find that the carpet was soaking wet. Having ruled out leaking pipes, it seems that the cause is condensation on the outside of the water softener. This sort of makes sense, it’s the first stop for cold mains water and this part of the house has been warmer since we fitted a new radiator and changed the boiler.

As an emergency measure, I am going to stand it in a tray. On the internet, I have read about people insulating their water softeners. Does this make sense? Surely by insulating the cold thing, I am just going to make the temperature differential even greater and the condensation will increase.

Confused

Gavin

Richard Ibbotson

Feb 18, 2018, 4:29:26 PM2/18/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Condensation will happen when the warm damp air meets a lower temperature surface. By insulating the cold object, you raise the temperature differential across the insulation, so the outside surface will be at a higher temperature as it is heated by the warm air.

Is there any reason why the air is especially damp? Do you have other condensation related problems?

At least the water in your tray should be soft

Alex Gibson

Feb 18, 2018, 5:32:01 PM2/18/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
If there is a problem of damp in the air, you could almost use the condensation the water softener is causing to your advantage. It's essentially acting as a very low rent dehumidifier - perhaps once you've solved the problem of it causing damp carpets, it could be seen in that light! Your first step of standing it on a tray gives you somewhere to collect that moisture, can you devise a low maintenance way to remove the water?

Cheers,

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765 @alexgibson3d 37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

• Project management
• Operations & Process improvement
• 3D Printing

Gavin

Feb 19, 2018, 3:49:04 PM2/19/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I think I get it now. The bit of insulation that is touching the softener is similar to the temperature of the softener; the outside of the insulation, similar to the air temperature; and providing the insulation is closed, the softener doesn’t come into contact with warmer moist air, hence no condensation.

Not sure why we have such moist air - we like our baths and use an iron that generates a lot of steam. Somewhere we have quite a large dehumidifier- I’ll pop that in he cupboard too.

Thanks for advice

Gavin

Feb 20, 2018, 3:05:53 PM2/20/18
to Reading Hackspace
Dehumidifiers don't necessarily solve the issue either what looks good are the whole house positive pressure units that push filtered air from loft cavity in to the rest of the house taking water laden air with it as it exits the building.

Modern houses, central heating, drying clothes etc... Has made damp air a real issue.

Ben

Mr E

Feb 20, 2018, 5:53:27 PM2/20/18
to Reading Hackspace
If you do get a dehumidifier (total god send IMHO), it's not a bad idea to put them on the first floor landing, as the moisture will tend to rise.  There are 2 types - Desiccant and Refrigerant.   Refrigerant ones don't do nearly as well anywhere that gets cool, but can be more powerful for their size and cheaper to run (slightly), as long as it's warm.

Is it a new or an old house?  Old ones tended to never really be that air tight, so you get damp getting through the brick work, and modern ones are so well sealed you never let it out.

Also - check your gutters - very easy for a blocked or not right one, to get a wall damp, and they soak up water like you wouldn't believe, which then slowly boils off into the nice warm inside.

In terms of insulating the water softener - yes it's a good idea - water from the air can only condense on the first surface it meets, so insulating it will allow a bigger heat difference and it'll be less cold - so less pooling.

Rupert