Sewing Machines.

Tara Martel

Jun 25, 2015, 4:25:09 AM6/25/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I have just taken ownership of a pair of sewing machines.

One is a twin needle, wheel fed post (handy), and the other is a Singer 29K patcher (even handier). Obviously the idea is that they would be loaned to the space.

Obviously they are somewhat larger than a spanner or screwdriver and will need a little space...

Any objections/ideas?

I'm not sure if Ian's cabinets are going to accommodate them.

Richard / rgproduct

Jun 25, 2015, 6:15:48 AM6/25/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
These sound very useful. Looking forward to learning how to use them. R
Message has been deleted

Heather Gilligan

Jun 25, 2015, 3:16:32 PM6/25/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi - maybe one could temporarily replace the one that's there if it's easier to use.

Tara Martel

Jun 25, 2015, 3:40:24 PM6/25/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Er, they aren't really any easier to use. The post machine doesn't have a flat bed so unless you're experienced you will get wobbly stitching. The patcher isn't really a fabric type machine either in that it's very heavy duty and is really designed for leather.

Heather Gilligan

Jun 25, 2015, 3:48:28 PM6/25/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, I think we already have one for leather...haven't tried it out, though. Maybe someone would like to work on the other one as a project

Ian Petrie

Jun 25, 2015, 3:55:08 PM6/25/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

The other machine that can do leather is a Singer and currently lives downstairs.  It is a flat bed machine and can do conventional fabric work as well.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Reading Hackspace" group.

Tara Martel

Jun 25, 2015, 5:38:25 PM6/25/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I haven't played with it yet because on one hand I had other things to do and also I was waiting for my own machines to come.

Tara Martel

Jun 27, 2015, 4:50:50 PM6/27/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Right. I have now collected the machines and I will be bringing them down sometime after 9am tomorrow (could do with a hand but should be able to manage otherwise).

It seems that the patcher can stitch through anything up to 10mm thick (leatherwise) and the other machine is as good as it should be.

Ian Petrie

Jun 29, 2015, 4:04:48 AM6/29/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I think the first project should be a leather sofa.

Ian

Andy Noyes

Jun 29, 2015, 4:13:58 AM6/29/15

On Monday, 29 June 2015 09:04:48 UTC+1, Ian Petrie wrote:
I think the first project should be a leather sofa.

...made from old shoes.

Ryan .

Jun 29, 2015, 4:30:04 AM6/29/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

I'd love to make a sofa :)

Heather Gilligan

Jun 29, 2015, 5:38:01 AM6/29/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Maybe we could take the parts of unwanted sofas from Gumtree and put them together; we'd have to have new springs and lining, though, so we could find a newish sofa that's damaged for it

Ian Petrie

Jun 29, 2015, 5:55:42 AM6/29/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Please. The comment was ironic ( Tara has been gutting and skinning sofas for months ).

Though Andy's suggestion intrigues. How many pairs of shoes would we need?

Ian

Eric Rowen

Jun 29, 2015, 6:22:06 AM6/29/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Would these be shoes made from recycled car tyres?

Tara Martel

Jun 29, 2015, 2:55:18 PM6/29/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Why not skip the middle bit and make a sofa from old tyres? That would look sooooo cool!

Andy Noyes

Jun 29, 2015, 3:14:01 PM6/29/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Gavin

Jun 29, 2015, 3:46:13 PM6/29/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

[Not normally one to use those acronyms, but] rofl

Eric Rowen

Jun 29, 2015, 5:14:23 PM6/29/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Without shoes you would have to tread carefully............

Tara Martel

Jul 4, 2015, 7:05:03 PM7/4/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Just completed my first project on the 29K... Replacement zip in a colleague's riding boot.