Board Stupid II

Gavin

Aug 30, 2017, 6:29:58 PM8/30/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Following a discussion at last week’s Tues evening Hardware Hacking, we have decided to re-run Board Stupid - our three(-ish) week introduction to PCB design with KiCad. Over the course of three consecutive Tuesday evenings from 12th September, you’ll learn everything you need to go from a basic circuit design in schematic form to a set of files that you can send to a PCB house for manufacture.

This time we will be making Arduinos - we can provide a basic schematic for you to copy and modify with sensors, LEDs etc, and then you will be free to design your PCB in whatever form you please - with or without Arduino compatible headers etc. If you would like to make something else, that’s cool, though we cannot guarantee to offer you the same level of support as the rest of the group.

At the end, we’ll have the option of sending the designs off as a group to PCBWay (who have offered us a discount as a group) and split the costs of P+P and any duty. We could also do some follow-up sessions on surface mount soldering if  there’s demand.

To register interest - simply reply to this email

Gavin + Jeremy

Amrit Dhanjal

Aug 31, 2017, 5:45:01 AM8/31/17
to Reading Hackspace
Count me in Gavin.

Thanks.

Alex Gibson

Aug 31, 2017, 5:58:23 AM8/31/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Sounds great – please count me in for at least the first 2 sessions, will be in  Birmingham on 26th… could skype in!

Keegan Neave

Aug 31, 2017, 6:33:11 AM8/31/17
to Reading Hackspace
I'd be interested in this please!

Andrew Harvey

Aug 31, 2017, 7:43:36 AM8/31/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested but it does depend on the start time.
Thanks!

Jesús Ramírez Fernández

Aug 31, 2017, 7:54:02 AM8/31/17
to Reading Hackspace
I would like to attend but i'm not in Uk the 26th. Would that be a problem?

Thanks

Jeremy Poulter

Aug 31, 2017, 8:00:18 AM8/31/17
to rLab List
To follow up on this, the basic schematic we will be using is the Arduino Uno R3; https://www.arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/Arduino_Uno_Rev3-schematic.pdf. All the components are available in either thru-hole or SMD. However if there is desire we could look at something based on the Arduino Zero, https://www.arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/ArduinoZero-schematic.pdf, but this will require SMD components and is also 3.3V only.

Jeremy

Alex Gibson

Aug 31, 2017, 8:16:45 AM8/31/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

That’s perfect.

Last time I brought a project I had already started in KiCAD, which was too complicated to progress in a few sessions.

This time I will be playing along 100% and tryingto better follow how to start from scratch, properly link the schematic, board layout etc and end up with a complete, manufacturable board in KiCAD.

Cheers

Alex

Alex Gibson

Aug 31, 2017, 8:21:23 AM8/31/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

We have a screen on the wall attached to a computer – suggest you and I get together after the 1st session and check what our webcam situation is, so we could both skype in to the last session!

Pete T

Aug 31, 2017, 8:27:23 AM8/31/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hi Gavin & Jeremy,

This is good news. Please add me to your list. Currently I have a commitment on the middle Tuesday of the 3, I'll try and move that though it may not be possible.

Its great that you're prepared to run this.

Cheers,
Pete

Richard Ibbotson

Aug 31, 2017, 8:35:36 AM8/31/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

You might consider using the Leonardo schematic, it is simpler to layout and build.

The proper Arduino Zero with EDBG does not seem a good idea (BGA!). There are some EDBG less designs, but you are probably best with a 5V design for the course.

Richard

gavi...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2017, 9:03:43 AM8/31/17
to Richard Ibbotson, reading-...@googlegroups.com
  1. Wow! Wasn't expecting quite such a strong response. We will need to think about room layout and how to structure the sessions to make it work.
  2. Richard, I take your point about the Leonardo being simpler but how do people feel about having a surface mount chip? If everybody is up for it then seems like a good idea. The ATmega32u4 comes in a 44pin TQFP package (ie with 0.8(?)mm pitch legs).
  3. I think the 5v point is a good one. I was thinking about adding 3v3 / 5v switching to mine – Adafruit Metro style but with an actual switch

Gavin

I was going to leave off the EDBG if there was a desire to go down the Arduino Zero route, it will probably be something more like Adafruit's M0 offerings. The Leonardo is also possible (https://www.arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/arduino-leonardo-schematic_3b.pdf for those playing at home). I will put together a comparison of the various options and see what folks think on the night.

On 31 August 2017 at 13:35, Richard Ibbotson <richard....@btinternet.com> wrote:

You might consider using the Leonardo schematic, it is simpler to layout and build.

The proper Arduino Zero with EDBG does not seem a good idea (BGA!). There are some EDBG less designs, but you are probably best with a 5V design for the course.

Richard

Richard Ibbotson

Aug 31, 2017, 9:36:00 AM8/31/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

The ATMega16U2 on the UNO is SMT only too, so you will have SMT anyways. TQFP Best.

Happy to do SMT workshop for people.

Keegan Neave

Aug 31, 2017, 9:42:47 AM8/31/17
to Reading Hackspace
I use a lot of Pro Micro boards and Leonardos so I'd be happy with that, happy to go with the flow though.  We've a fancy soldering station at work I've been looking for an excuse to learn to use too so this is ideal timing!

Alex Gibson

Aug 31, 2017, 10:04:29 AM8/31/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com, Richard Ibbotson

Happy to help with room configuration and making a robust skype session in advance.

Personally I am positively keen to go SMT as my future (current!) projects all will be.

I would prefer the Arduino Uno R3 as a good choice to start with.  Uno R3 is probably the most compatible of all the Arduinos across the most projects.

From Leonardo’s page [https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-leonardo-with-headers]:

The Leonardo differs from all preceding boards in that the ATmega32u4 has built-in USB communication, eliminating the need for a secondary processor. This allows the Leonardo to appear to a connected computer as a mouse and keyboard, in addition to a virtual (CDC) serial / COM port. It also has other implications for the behavior of the board; these are detailed on the getting started page.

The main advantage claimed for the Leonardo is it’s all on one chip – but to learn KiCAD I would positively prefer to be hooking up two QFP chips as it’s similar to the Mega 2560 which I will use.

But I am up for anything that teaches me to get it all together in KiCAD!

5v0 and 3v3 switching would be really nice though – I would be very keen as I am often hooking up Raspberry Pi (3v3) and Arduino (5v0).

Keegan Neave

Aug 31, 2017, 11:06:15 AM8/31/17
to Reading Hackspace, richard....@btinternet.com
Fair point, the switching would be a wonderful feature to!

David Price

Sep 1, 2017, 12:26:21 AM9/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
Definitely interested. Personally I would prefer an SMT based project.

My suggestion would be to start with the Uno or Leonardo since this would be immediately comparable to working examples and would allow the focus to be on workflow through to the finished, working device with established software. The SMT aspect could be then covered by a discrete workshop and at a later date a follow-on activity to add complexity, eg Ethernet/Esp8266 or even duplicate the Nordic Primo (https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-primo)
David

Mark Robson

Sep 1, 2017, 3:53:04 AM9/1/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,,

You do know, that the12th of September is Reading Geek Night, (local renewable energy special)

https://rdggeeknight.wordpress.com/2017/08/16/reading-geek-night-tuesday-12th-september-2017/

Otherwise, I might be interested.

Cheers,

Mark

Ashish Passi

Sep 1, 2017, 11:22:44 AM9/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
+1 on attending this if you still have spaces.
Br
Ashish

Miguel Serafim

Sep 1, 2017, 11:59:07 AM9/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
I will also show up! =)

Pete T

Sep 1, 2017, 1:56:26 PM9/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
Gavin / Jeremy,

Just to mention I've moved the clash I had for the middle Tuesday, can now make all three sessions.

Cheers,
Pete

Jeremy Poulter

Sep 1, 2017, 4:08:55 PM9/1/17
to rLab List
Hi,

Just in time for Board Stupid, KiCAD 4.0.7 has been released: http://kicad-pcb.org/post/release-4.0.7/

Jeremy

Jesús Ramírez Fernández

Sep 5, 2017, 4:04:02 PM9/5/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hi,

I will not be able of the skype :(.

And about the projects to do, I'm quite new on all this. Is there something that I need to bring to start with? My knowledge is 0.

Jeremy Poulter

Sep 6, 2017, 7:03:15 AM9/6/17
to rLab List
Just a bit of homework, here is a video of how PCBs are manufactured: https://youtu.be/rEB0pl8a5C0

Jesús Ramírez Fernández

Sep 6, 2017, 8:12:01 AM9/6/17
to Reading Hackspace
Thanks for it!

It makes a more sense now, in the next weeks I will be able to learn to design basic circuits as well, wouldn't I?
Because I have not experience neither in design circuits but I would like to learn about Arduinos. That is why I meant if I need to bring something.

Thanks again for the video!.

Jesus.

Jeremy Poulter

Sep 6, 2017, 8:23:44 AM9/6/17
to rLab List
This will be more about building an Arduino (initially) rather than programming/using an Arduino. That being said, depending on the abilities of the people that show up we could start with some basic electronics/Arduino background.

The only thing you will need is a laptop Windows, Linux or Mac) to run KiCAD on.

Jeremy

Arthur

Sep 6, 2017, 9:15:18 AM9/6/17
to Reading Hackspace
I'm in the same boat as jesus (I enjoyed writing that sentence). I'm happy to go if you are jesus, we can be ignorant together. But obviously only if people with more knowledge don't mind a couple of tagalongs.

Richard Ibbotson

Sep 6, 2017, 10:15:06 AM9/6/17
to Reading Hackspace
We think this course can work for all levels of electronics skills and are determined to try. The course is focused on KiCAD and PCB design, so we really want to avoid turning it into an electronics design course. Everyone should be able to enjoy the course and create something. KiCAD success demands little more than knowing the difference between a conductor and an insulator, and being willing to treat components as black boxes to start with. PCB layout in industry is often done by draftspersons and not engineers.

There is concern that the KiCAD objectives might be compromised if people (both newbies and more experienced) ask too many electronics design questions. So please consider this during course

We have identified 3 areas where additional individual or group tuition might be useful. These are Electronics design, SMT soldering and Arduino Programming. We have people willing to do these, please raise a request here if anyone wants this one on one, or if anyone is willing to organise a group session.
Richard

Pete Torkington

Sep 6, 2017, 10:33:15 AM9/6/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to this and appreciate the work being done to make it happen.

Just to mention I can get to rLab early-ish on Tuesdays and can help with such things as re-arranging the room in prep for the course.

Pete

Oliver Williams

Sep 7, 2017, 4:47:43 AM9/7/17
to Reading Hackspace
Spotted a page on Bristol Hackspace's Wiki about stencil creation using their vinyl cutter. We tried this a while ago with the laser (with some success).

Might be useful if the course covers SMT soldering.

Jesús Ramírez Fernández

Sep 7, 2017, 8:02:22 AM9/7/17
to Reading Hackspace
Richard,

I'm in for the Electronic design and Arduino Programming if that happens, and for this one with KiCAD, I would like to go to see what all is about and if I can achieve something (I will try not disturb with mine questions).
In any case, for me electronics is a totally new world which I don't know from where to start or how to approach to it, so if there is something basic level about KiCAD or the electric design that would be useful for that day I'm totally happy to make a little of homework.

Cheers.

Jesus.

mikethebee

Sep 10, 2017, 6:47:15 AM9/10/17
to Reading Hackspace
If there is space I will be available this time. As I have several projects I would like to get started on how to do them properly. They will need SMD, and 3.3v to 5v data shifting maybe needed, I understand that data speed is a consideration with level shifting circuits, something we came across with the EDSAC project this week.
-Mike

Richard Ibbotson

Sep 11, 2017, 6:20:50 AM9/11/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

I am down tonight (Monday) and willing to go through some electronics basics, or specific help needed in a planned design.

Can also get an idea if a more formal session is needed.

Richard

Sep 11, 2017, 6:45:46 AM9/11/17
to Reading Hackspace
Is the intention we bring a design along for the Tuesday KiCad sessions or will we be working on a common schematic?
David

Chris Bingham

Sep 11, 2017, 7:24:59 AM9/11/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hi,

I can't make tomorrow due to an immovable family commitment meaning I'm unlikely to be able to get to Reading before 10pm but would love to be squeezed in for the other sessions if at all possible even if only as a lurker with no desk!

It looks like the sessions may already be oversubscribed though.

Let me know what the space is looking like & start time and I'll try to get up to speed in time for next Tuesday if you're willing to let me try to catch up. I have a project on the go which I'd love to use as a design and is possibly a bit simpler than the Leonardo since it's based on a Particle Electron so might help me catch up a bit quicker due to cheating and mounting an already fabricated solution onto another board to allow use of the pinouts etc.

Thanks

Chris

Jesús Ramírez Fernández

Sep 11, 2017, 10:47:29 AM9/11/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Richard,

Which time are you thinking to be there? I might be able to go today.

Jesus.

Jesús Ramírez Fernández
Graduate in Architecture and Urban planning / Master and Degree of Techincal Architect

Mobile Phone: +44 7895 336539 (UK)
Blog personal: http://hiddenwaterlily.tumblr.com/

Richard Ibbotson

Sep 11, 2017, 11:06:26 AM9/11/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

I will be down around 19:30.

I will also bring some built Arduino Leonardo, in case people want to try some Arduino stuff beforehand.

Richard

Alex Gibson

Sep 11, 2017, 11:09:14 AM9/11/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great.  Turns out I can't attend in person on any of these Tuesday nights.  So, will pop over to rLab and check out what our Skype capability looks like. I would love to play along at home!
Alex

Tapped on my mobile phone.

On 31 Aug 2017, at 10:45, Amrit Dhanjal <amrit.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

Count me in Gavin.

Thanks.

Jesús Ramírez Fernández

Sep 11, 2017, 11:27:44 AM9/11/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Oks!

I will try to be there, if I can't I will let you know.

Cheers

Jesus.

Jesús Ramírez Fernández

Graduate in Architecture and Urban planning / Master and Degree of Techincal Architect

Mobile Phone: +44 7895 336539 (UK)

Blog personal: http://hiddenwaterlily.tumblr.com/

mikethebee

Sep 11, 2017, 1:45:22 PM9/11/17
to Reading Hackspace
I'll be along tonight too. Turns out ReadingGeek has a special visitor I should meet tomorrow, so I will have miss this weeks BSII, most annoyingly. -Mike

Alex Gibson

Sep 12, 2017, 11:01:15 AM9/12/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Board Stupid-goers

Would anyone attending be willing to set up any form of internet broadcast for this please?  Skype/Hangouts/Periscope/Youtube, whatever works for you?

I planned to take a laptop down there and leave it set up with Hangouts ready to go, but in the middle of what was a nice long chunk of time I now have to drop my daughter at an event miles away.

If not, I’ll just fire up KiCAD this evening and single-player it!

Cheers

Alex

Jeremy Poulter

Jesús Ramírez Fernández

Sep 12, 2017, 12:47:56 PM9/12/17
to Reading Hackspace
It will not be possible for me to go today finally,

But thanks to Richard I have clarify my mind about what I want to learn and to do with boards.

So I wish a lot of fun today, and hopping to see the designs that will happen on these 3 weeks.

Cheers

Jesus.

El martes, 12 de septiembre de 2017, 17:07:47 (UTC+1), Jeremy Poulter escribió:
If it is ok with the other folks there I will try and get something setup.
On 12 September 2017 at 16:00, Alex Gibson <al...@alexgibson.net> wrote:

Hi Board Stupid-goers

Would anyone attending be willing to set up any form of internet broadcast for this please?  Skype/Hangouts/Periscope/Youtube, whatever works for you?

I planned to take a laptop down there and leave it set up with Hangouts ready to go, but in the middle of what was a nice long chunk of time I now have to drop my daughter at an event miles away.

If not, I’ll just fire up KiCAD this evening and single-player it!

Cheers

Alex

Hubert

Sep 12, 2017, 1:01:39 PM9/12/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hi
What time you plan to start today? I couldn't find any info about it in this thread.
I hope to get there this evening and attend if possible.

Cheers

Gavin

Sep 12, 2017, 1:30:03 PM9/12/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
8pm I think

Keegan Neave

Sep 12, 2017, 1:41:26 PM9/12/17
to Reading Hackspace
Sorry to say I'm a bit wiped out and not going to make it this eve, if there are any slides or files that could be shared afterwards so I can get a head start on next week that world be great thanks :-)

Alex Gibson

Sep 12, 2017, 1:50:36 PM9/12/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Brilliant, thanks!!

Alex Gibson

Sep 12, 2017, 2:31:55 PM9/12/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

I’m on KiCAD 4.0.1 – it’s up to 4.0.7 now – necessary to upgrade for tonight’s?

Cheers

Alex

Jeremy Poulter

Sep 12, 2017, 4:01:21 PM9/12/17
to rLab List
The schematic for the Leonardo

On 12 September 2017 at 19:31, Alex Gibson <al...@alexgibson.net> wrote:

I’m on KiCAD 4.0.1 – it’s up to 4.0.7 now – necessary to upgrade for tonight’s?

Cheers

Alex

Alex Gibson

Sep 12, 2017, 4:11:20 PM9/12/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks!

I’m on KiCAD 4.0.1 – it’s up to 4.0.7 now – necessary to upgrade for tonight’s?

Cheers

Alex

Keegan Neave

Jeremy Poulter

Sep 13, 2017, 3:41:59 PM9/13/17
to rLab List
Hi, yes, it is the Leonardo we will be doing.

Keegan Neave

Sep 14, 2017, 9:02:13 AM9/14/17
to Reading Hackspace
Excellent, thanks!

Jeremy Poulter

Sep 19, 2017, 2:08:07 AM9/19/17
to rLab List
I hope to be down at around 7:30 tonight. The plan is to spend 30 mins going over any troubles people may have had and then get in to the main topic of selecting the components and assigning footprints.

The presentation from last week can be found in the new Board Stupid repository:  https://github.com/reading-hackspace/Board-Stupid/raw/master/Presentations/Basic%20anaomy%20of%202%20layer%20PCB.pptx

Also don't worry if you did not get a chance to finish (or start) the schematic, a finished one can also be found in the repository: https://github.com/reading-hackspace/Board-Stupid/tree/master/Leonardo

All the files can be downloaded as a Zip here:

See you all tonight,

Jeremy

[...]

Message has been deleted

Keegan Neave

Sep 19, 2017, 9:59:17 AM9/19/17
to Reading Hackspace
I've had a last minute project land on me at work so will likely be working this eve, thanks for the notes though I'll go through them once the dust settles. :)

Alex Gibson

Sep 19, 2017, 1:40:38 PM9/19/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone want tonight's recorded/cast?

In a twist of fate I can make it tonight, will have laptop and webcam.

Tapped on my mobile phone.

El jueves, 31 de agosto de 2017, 13:21:23 (UTC+1), Alex Gibson escribió:

We have a screen on the wall attached to a computer – suggest you and I get together after the 1st session and check what our webcam situation is, so we could both skype in to the last session!

Jeremy Poulter

Sep 19, 2017, 1:45:47 PM9/19/17
to rLab List
Might be nice, will check with the folks there tonight.

Alex Gibson

Sep 19, 2017, 5:02:45 PM9/19/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Note:  Gavin's magic 2.1/2.5mm Barrel Jack connector is:

RS part no: 805-1699

Andrew Harvey

Sep 19, 2017, 5:06:03 PM9/19/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Gavin

Sep 20, 2017, 5:16:46 AM9/20/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Yes- same part

David Price

Sep 24, 2017, 2:48:09 AM9/24/17
to Reading Hackspace
I am tinkering with component selection and have a couple of questions;

LED resistors
I am looking to use 0805 LEDs and these appear to have typical characteristic of forward voltage 2.1v and current of 20mA. Using the Resistance calculator at http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/led-resistor-calculator suggests a series resistor of 145 ohms for a 5v source. However, the Leonardo schematic specifies a resistor of 1K (and the Adafruit Feather a value of 2.2K). This seems very high and would result in a very low current, around 2mA rather than the 20mA. Should I change the resistors to around 145?

Crystal
The smaller SMD crystals have legless SMD footprints where the pads are underneath (see image for Epson TSX-3225, how tricky/easy are these to solder?

Condenser
I've decided not to use the Vathermin tube (Indium complex of +4) but am having trouble locating the bead condenser AB-619.

David
Crystal Epson TSX-3225.jpg

Richard Ibbotson

Sep 24, 2017, 4:24:01 AM9/24/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

For the resistors, stick with 1K, or 2.2K if the LED are high efficiency ultra bright type. If these are the on board indicators, you just want them sufficiently bright, and certainly not uncomfortably or distractingly bright. The processor can manage the 20mA, but you are biting into your overall available processor and power supply current in a big way, so very bad if battery power!

For the SMD crystal, it depends on how you want to build it. That crystal does appear to have some gold tabs on the side as well as the bottom, which should make it simpler. If you want to build with a solder iron, do make sure there is enough pad exposed when the crystal is placed to get your solder iron on to heat the pad. For oven, then no exposed pad needed. Hot air, I would expose some pad, so you can see when solder has flowed.

For the condenser, try a Leyden jar or Grahams, though not in surface mount. Flux capacitors are available in stock at RS in 2047, buyers collects. Also available on Amazon with Prime Minus delivery, but they deliver the day before yesterday, and I was out, so won’t order.

Richard

Sep 24, 2017, 4:46:32 AM9/24/17
to Reading Hackspace
Thanks Richard, all makes sense.

With 1K it looked like the current would be 2mA so concerned that the LED would wouldn't light at all, but I guess it would be easy enough to change the resistors if that were the case.

Will try a Leyden, it may be OK as I'm using a 3.8W laser diode instead of the Vathermin tube. Just in case I will ensure I have some of Graham's Nervous Aetherial Balsam to hand.
David

Jeremy Poulter

Sep 26, 2017, 8:52:34 AM9/26/17
to rLab List
Hi,

Week 3, we will finally be getting on to the actual PCB layout, yay. As with last week I should be down for 7:30 to go over any problems with the footprint/component selection and we will get going with laying out the PCB from about 8.

I updated the GitHub repository with a completed footprint list for anyone that did not get a chance to finish selecting the components.

See you all tonight.

Jeremy

Jeremy Poulter

Sep 29, 2017, 1:49:09 PM9/29/17
to rLab List
Hope you have all found Board Stupid useful. The next session will be on October 10th when we will be reviewing and trouble shooting you PCB layouts with a view to getting the boards ordered.

Jeremy

Richard Ibbotson

Oct 3, 2017, 6:54:43 AM10/3/17
to Reading Hackspace
I will be at rLab this evening Hardware Hacking. I guess others will be there too.

Come down if you need help personalising the electronics on your boards.

Richard

David Price

Oct 9, 2017, 12:23:52 PM10/9/17
to Reading Hackspace
Is the Board Stupid II session still planned for tomorrow & what time?

I've finished laying out traces and would appreciate reviewing the pcb and going over the rest of the workflow.

One question I have is how to set up traces to pad footprints I imported within pcbnew that don't appear on the schematic.
David
MyLeonardo pcb 1.JPG
MyLeonardo pcb 2.JPG

Jeremy Poulter

Oct 9, 2017, 2:45:50 PM10/9/17
to rLab List
Hi,

Yes, Board Stupid is still planned for tomorrow. As it will be a bit more of a workshop session I think we can start at 7:30.

I am not totally sure I understand your question we can maybe go over it tomorrow, however it tends to be bad practice to just have the footprints in Pcbnew. You should really add the component to the schematic and export/import the netlist to Pcbnew.

Jeremy

Jeremy Poulter

David Price

Oct 11, 2017, 1:19:06 AM10/11/17
to Reading Hackspace
Gavin & Jeremy - Many thanks for you efforts and help, I managed to get to the end of the workflow and order 10 boards from PCBWay last night.
David

David Price

Oct 17, 2017, 2:06:44 AM10/17/17
to Reading Hackspace
After 6 days the 10 boards have been manufactured and arrived in the DHL Reading depot for delivery some time this week. For info find attached the PCBWay technology process log and of the DHL tracking summary which how long things take. The 10 boards cost $5 plus shipping to the UK ($25 in the case of DHL), about £22 total compared to UK board houses which charge twice as much for 1 board.

David
Pcbway technology process.jpg
DHL - PCB shipment.jpg

David Price

Oct 19, 2017, 6:27:37 AM10/19/17
to Reading Hackspace
Kicad - The boards arrived Tuesday (pic) along with some components from Farnell.

I am very pleased with the quality of the PCBWay work and once the euphoria of my first board died down it was time for recriminations ...

1. I assumed there would be a suitable 0805 SMD diode for D1 (polarity protection on the power input). I somehow ordered an 1N914bws which has a SOD323 package, this looks like it might just fit the pads - it will be the first thing I check. Also, the forward current is only 150mA so it may blow if I do reverse the power connections so an M7 might be a better option with it's higher current.
2. I messed up the holes in both the socket strips and the prototyping area !!
3. The footprints for C1, 3 and 6 are way too big, I spec'd Tant case-D (7343-31) but should have gone for Case-A (32-16) or Case-B (3528)
3. my component labeling needs vast improvement
4. White is not an ideal colour to contrast with the solder pads - red or green would be better

I am very tempted to re-spin the board after making changes from these observations rather than assemble this board. This might sound wasteful but getting 7343-31 caps from Farnell would cost £10 alone for 5, compared to £2.50 for 5 x 3528 (1210) caps.
David
171017 pcb.jpg

Jeremy Poulter

Oct 19, 2017, 3:28:46 PM10/19/17
to rLab List
Good progress, my boards should be arriving soon.

Gavin

Oct 20, 2017, 3:04:42 AM10/20/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
David

- how are the holes wrong? I have made holes too small in the past (by not realising my strips had square pins and not sizing them for the diagonal) but have still got away with it with a little percussive force
- it’s old school, but I recommend green as a soldier mask - by far the easiest I’ve worked with

Oct 20, 2017, 6:57:52 AM10/20/17
to Reading Hackspace

The proto holes aren't 0.1" pitch so not useful for ESP8266 etc breakouts (I don't know how I missed this !)

The I/O sockets are not a continuous 0.1 pitch so a single strip won't fit. I changed the grid pitch to move things more precisely, forgot and misplaced two of the socket strips. I don't want to plug shields in so not the end of the world, but messy.

In my revised design I don't have separate 6, 8 and 10 socket strips, I have two 18 pin strips which includes a strip to route on board from the proto to the edge sockets (pic).

I'll use green or red in my next run.

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

mikethebee

Oct 20, 2017, 8:37:20 AM10/20/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hello David, Thank you for posting these experieces in detail. I am sure it will help others, like me, who haven't been able to follow the course practically, but are following your path with great interest. -Mike

David Price

Oct 20, 2017, 8:55:29 AM10/20/17
to Reading Hackspace
thanks Mike ... I hope people do find the warts and all useful and others learn from my mistakes.
David

Jeremy Poulter

Oct 20, 2017, 1:59:04 PM10/20/17
to rLab List
Got my boards back today: rLab Leonardo, solder paste stencil, new Hotstick boards and some free prototype PCBs.

Jeremy

IMG_20171020_154016.jpg

Oliver Williams

Alex Gibson

Oct 23, 2017, 10:00:07 AM10/23/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Cool.  Can we haz photos?

Cheers

Alex

Alex Gibson

Oct 23, 2017, 10:04:28 AM10/23/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Mail threading fail – I am looking at your photo now.

Duh.