Replicate heatsink retention bracket with 3D printer

Steven Wallis

May 11, 2017, 12:20:39 PM5/11/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hey guys, is anybody able to replicate a bit of plastic I have with a 3D printer? (obviously willing to pay!)
It's a heatsink retention bracket for an Intel socket B motherboard. The one I had broke, so I bought a whole identical heatsink and fan set, as I couldn't find just the bracket on eBay. So now I have a new set, I'd like to replicate the new bracket, so I can use it with my old heatsink and fan.
Thanks!

Tony Short

May 11, 2017, 12:53:12 PM5/11/17
to Reading Hackspace
Well tonight is 3D Thursday at rLab, so you could come along and learn how to do it yourself?

Steven Wallis

May 11, 2017, 2:24:05 PM5/11/17
to Reading Hackspace
Ah damn, would love to but I have people round for a LAN gaming session, when's the next one?

Tony Short

May 11, 2017, 4:47:59 PM5/11/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Every Thursday, though I won't be able to make  next week. So next guaranteed date is 25th

Alex Gibson

May 12, 2017, 2:31:50 AM5/12/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I do this professionally and would be happy to talk to you about this today if you would like to get it fixed now - let me know.  I am based at Grow @ green park, my number is 06713 810 765.

Do also come along to rLab on one of Tony's 3D nights to learn more about the process!

Kind regards

Alex Gibson

Tapped on my mobile phone.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Reading Hackspace" group.

Alex Gibson

May 12, 2017, 2:32:45 AM5/12/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
That number corrected- 07 813 810 765

Tapped on my mobile phone.

On 11 May 2017, at 21:47, 'Tony Short' via Reading Hackspace <reading-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Reading Hackspace" group.

Steven Wallis

May 12, 2017, 4:59:36 AM5/12/17
to Reading Hackspace
Thanks Tony, will come along on 25th

Steven Wallis

May 22, 2017, 6:41:09 AM5/22/17
to Reading Hackspace
What time do you think you'll be around from, Tony?

Tony Short

May 22, 2017, 6:54:53 AM5/22/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Usually starts 7pm

Tony Short

May 27, 2017, 5:42:18 PM5/27/17
to Reading Hackspace

Here is the result of last Thursday's 3D workshop. Was fun, and enjoyed introducing Steven and his friends to the hackspace.

STL is attached, and the Fusion 360 file is available here: http://a360.co/2qnwASH

If you have a 3D Design project in mind and would like some help to get started (or finish) pop along for 3D Thursdays @ rLab.

On Thursday, 11 May 2017 17:20:39 UTC+1, Steven Wallis wrote:
Intel Cooling Bracket.stl

Tony Short

May 29, 2017, 8:43:21 AM5/29/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
And here is a 3Dprint of the bracket. I used a translucent filament so you can see the infill pattern of hexagons.

Stuart Ward

May 31, 2017, 10:07:22 AM5/31/17
to Reading Hackspace

On 29 May 2017 at 13:43, 'Tony Short' via Reading Hackspace <reading-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
And here is a 3Dprint of the bracket. I used a translucent filament so you can see the infill pattern of hexagons.

Nice bridging, neat. Are you now going to cast it in aluminium for a production use.

--
Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143

Tony Short

May 31, 2017, 12:34:41 PM5/31/17
to Reading Hackspace
The original was plastic, just a bit flimsy.

Alex Gibson

May 31, 2017, 7:00:23 PM5/31/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Should be AOK in ABS.

PLA, while it’s my go-to for most uses, I would be concerned about long term reliability – the ‘glass transition temperature’ is only 55 degrees but even that is a zone not a sharp cut-off, anything over 50 degrees for a sustained period and especially if there is any lateral load on the part, can just gradually warp and ease with any mechanical force exerted on it…

The original was plastic, just a bit flimsy.