Metal Lathe Santa's Workshops Availability

Tony Short

Nov 30, 2017, 10:34:04 AM11/30/17
to Reading Hackspace

Hi there

Materials for the Metal Lathe Spinning Top workshops have finally arrived, so we are able to offer some time slots for people.

You can see the current availability here:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=8drlr1ka19f5d7v5u9dce123lc%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/London

More will be added when Steve is back in Reading in a week or so.

Slots are on a first come first served basis 1 slot per person. Wear clothes you don't mind getting messy/greasy. There is a £5 cost to cover the materials (brass and steel) but you do get a top to take away at the end. You should expect session to take a minimum of 2 hours, but do count as a level 1 induction on the metal lathe.

Let me know if you want a slot and I will update the calendar ASAP to avoid disappointment.

Any questions, please shout!

Tony

Robert Pryde

Nov 30, 2017, 11:57:05 AM11/30/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
If there is still one available. I would like to attend the 19:00 slot tonight.

Rob

Tony Short

Nov 30, 2017, 12:37:31 PM11/30/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com, Steve Rodway
It's free as of now. Have cc'd Steve so you can liaise as needed.

Robert Pryde

Laurence Rochfort

Dec 1, 2017, 2:23:39 AM12/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hi Tony,

Could I please take the 1900 slot for today, 1st Dec, if still available, please?

Cheers,
Laurence.

Ashish Passi

Dec 1, 2017, 4:32:34 AM12/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
Any slots still available for tomorrow 6pm (02/12)?
Br
Ash

Robert Pryde

Dec 1, 2017, 4:45:04 AM12/1/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I really enjoyed my santa's workshop last night.

See the attached spinning result.

--
20171201_094210.jpg

Steve

Dec 1, 2017, 5:29:27 AM12/1/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Laurence,
Sorry but that slot has been taken now, the only remaining slot left
before I head away next week is today at 2pm. If that's no good for you
I'll be adding at least 10 more slots before xmas once I get back to reading

Steve

Steve

Dec 1, 2017, 5:30:28 AM12/1/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
OK Ash, you're booked for saturday 6pm, calendar will update as soon as
tony sees this.

Steve

Andrew Harvey

Dec 1, 2017, 5:39:17 AM12/1/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

If 2pm is no good for Laurence, could I jump in, please?

Thanks,

Andy

Tony Short

Dec 1, 2017, 6:02:29 AM12/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
I will give Lawrence until 12.30pm to take up the 2pm slot today, otherwise Andy can have it.

I've updated the calendar accordingly, and as Steve says more slots will be added when he is back in Reading.

In the meantime I'm organising some other workshops, and will let people know as soon as they are available.

Tony

Laurence Rochfort

Dec 1, 2017, 6:02:40 AM12/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
On Friday, December 1, 2017 at 10:29:27 AM UTC, Steve wrote:
Hi Laurence,
        Sorry but that slot has been taken now, the only remaining slot left
before I head away next week is today at 2pm. If that's no good for you
I'll be adding at least 10 more slots before xmas once I get back to reading

That sounds good to me. Could I please take that slot?

Tony Short

Dec 1, 2017, 6:04:49 AM12/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
I've added you for the 2pm slot today.

Andy (and others) I will post here as soon as new slots become available.

Tony

Laurence Rochfort

Dec 1, 2017, 6:07:25 AM12/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
Thanks, Tony.

I'll see you this afternoon, Steve!

Andrew Harvey

Dec 1, 2017, 6:10:39 AM12/1/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks!

Ashish Passi

Dec 1, 2017, 3:16:43 PM12/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
Many thanks.

Tara Martel

Dec 1, 2017, 4:41:13 PM12/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
Can I have one tomorrow evening some time?

Tony Short

Dec 1, 2017, 4:49:19 PM12/1/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I'm afraid all the slots are taken now. Will post when more are available.

On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 at 21:41, Tara Martel <prof...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can I have one tomorrow evening some time?

Tara Martel

Dec 2, 2017, 8:01:26 AM12/2/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
No worries...

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 9:49 PM, 'Tony Short' via Reading Hackspace <reading-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I'm afraid all the slots are taken now. Will post when more are available.

On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 at 21:41, Tara Martel <prof...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can I have one tomorrow evening some time?

Ashish Passi

Dec 2, 2017, 12:10:17 PM12/2/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hi Tony,
I will be there by 6.30.
Am in A&E with one of my kids.

please start without me..and will catchup whatever i miss later in the night.

Tony Short

Dec 2, 2017, 12:30:24 PM12/2/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Sessions are one-to-one, so if you cannot make them, then nothing happens.

Best to look after your kids, we can always fit you on a later session in a week or so.

Jefferson Peak

Dec 2, 2017, 5:02:18 PM12/2/17
to Reading Hackspace
Thanks to Steve for running a great workshop. It was really fun and look forward to working with the metal Lathe more in the future. Would be great if you have the materials details and instructions for these if you could post them online somewhere. I would love to take another attempt on my own and see what I can do.

Steve

Dec 3, 2017, 2:13:45 AM12/3/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
There's a copy of the Induction/Basic training notes that I was using
available at http://rlab.org.uk/wiki/Tooldocs/lathetraining - The
materials used for the top are 30mm diameter CZ121 easy-machining brass
and 10mm diameter 303-grade easy-machining stainless steel. Feel free to
experiment with other materials though if you'd like different effects!
There are other grades of stainless, 304 especially will take a very
high polish if you have the time to work on it with the emery paper. For
the bob you could look at making that out of stainless steel if you
wanted, or solid copper for it's colour. 304 stainless is a little
tougher than 303 so use cutting fluid/lubricant regularly and don't be
surprised if it gets hotter, take special care with the parting-off,
Copper machines a lot like brass ( same speeds ) but is a sticky metal
like aluminium so again use cutting fluid. If you're ordering materials
then remember that the length you need is at least 40mm more than the
size of the part you want to make because there needs to be enough extra
on the end to grip in the chuck securely.
I'll see about sorting out a technical drawing and step-by-step guide
for making the top when I get a little spare time, but at this point
that might not happen till after xmas because I'm getting very busy now
so I'm prioritizing making sure that everyone who's signed up at least
gets the initial session and a chance to make one top.

Steve

Jefferson Peak wrote:
> Thanks to Steve for running a great workshop. It was really fun and look
> forward to working with the metal Lathe more in the future. Would be
> great if you have the materials details and instructions for these if
> you could post them online somewhere. I would love to take another
> attempt on my own and see what I can do.
>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/CcZURZb8krW-LVErL2IlzwzY1tSLamwuHHgby6LbVK3BXfj_1akQ0zrWMMUqsU0_XrH8F-Z3DcC0P1NeiYd1cZI7b59igky_5UiSZZ1OpYlz9shGcJbRhE79Q-FrqYb1f4rg0nmtBhMcHX9AZQ8qOTBw9lrfLkMQA0lXhuKPLE-HEfC74wdJjsNlLg3LfzhkeTKp6E0_vpND8ORf9UiZ4bePBvt41FXqsla28pZq2gzc6AkGjArX6PkvJmrlu19qbbvyMx0L1zNjSI-YqT6yykI123aiJPlk23Es0QhHKA_HiYfeYjxNIMnjkQ-Um9CjhBpLe8R9bcqZKnYadUM3TULaBmNBbNjAPuCCLkDlJYmqzONJpkXxm47yvx_M921A1zA7xQRab13lc7thW362hlYrckAYf78wE2HSjxHeY984D3B6jmaipkSpl5Tp8Y_-_yfpCGhxUYJaWo0gxLCX3bdlEnSfWqIPyssOocO87PoEAHZlLhRu4iPNIQ6wk21PTjdXu6u-vTROD4BsbSDe8lA6WDeL4qAI0RJhh6t_gRYEy2IOOgGgwMLaro7bQ9leqsOY4Q1XCyoRcadYPA_t2Jtt02DNI86k1CcDSFgwuGk=w1876-h1406-no>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-a2RycQHWrxY/WiMAzE8oYgI/AAAAAAAAVo8/Bug8gIa_FXMc3dVOeDnkja5o2DKkmRikgCL4CGAYYCw/s1600/2017-12-02.png>
>

> On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 3:34:04 PM UTC, Tony Short wrote:
>
> Hi there
>
> Materials for the Metal Lathe Spinning Top workshops have finally
> arrived, so we are able to offer some time slots for people.
>
> You can see the current availability here:
> https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=8drlr1ka19f5d7v5u9dce123lc%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/London
> <https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=8drlr1ka19f5d7v5u9dce123lc%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/London>
>
> More will be added when Steve is back in Reading in a week or so.
>
> Slots are on a first come first served basis 1 slot per person. Wear
> clothes you don't mind getting messy/greasy. There is a £5 cost to
> cover the materials (brass and steel) but you do get a top to take
> away at the end. You should expect session to take a minimum of 2
> hours, but do count as a level 1 induction on the metal lathe.
>
> Let me know if you want a slot and I will update the calendar ASAP
> to avoid disappointment.
>
> Any questions, please shout!
>
> Tony

Ashish Passi

Dec 4, 2017, 4:52:52 AM12/4/17
to Reading Hackspace
Many Thanks to Steve for the workshop. It was great fun to work on the metal Lathe.
Now to think of projects I can use it with :-)

Br
Ash

Toby Williams

Dec 4, 2017, 5:45:09 AM12/4/17
to Reading Hackspace
Enjoyed my workshop a lot.

Richard Ibbotson

Dec 4, 2017, 9:23:59 AM12/4/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I like the training notes a lot. They set a high standard that it would be good to have as a template for all tools requiring induction. This is work that might be shared with other hackspaces too.
It clearly sets the scope and provides a recap in case people forget later. Also makes it clear why hands on induction is necessary.

Massive thanks for doing this, and the training, and the Xmas workshops.

Richard

Tony Short

Dec 7, 2017, 12:26:01 PM12/7/17
to Reading Hackspace
Steve has just added 18 new slots for the Metal Lathe Spinning Top workshops:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=OGRybHIxa2ExOWY1ZDd2NXU5ZGNlMTIzbGNAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ

If you are interested in booking a slot, please reply here, or email me and I will update the calendar accordingly!

Thanks! (and special thanks to Steve for being so generous with his time!)

On Thursday, 30 November 2017 15:34:04 UTC, Tony Short wrote:

Hi there

Materials for the Metal Lathe Spinning Top workshops have finally arrived, so we are able to offer some time slots for people.

You can see the current availability here:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=8drlr1ka19f5d7v5u9dce123lc%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/London

More will be added when Steve is back in Reading in a week or so.

Message has been deleted

Tony Short

Dec 7, 2017, 6:07:41 PM12/7/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Pete, I've added you in for the afternoon slot as requested.

On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 at 17:50, Pete Torkington <pe...@torkington.me> wrote:
Hi, if the slot for next Tue (12th) afternoon is still free, I'd like to come in for that.

Thanks Steve & Tony.

Andrew Harvey

Dec 8, 2017, 6:34:57 AM12/8/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony, Steve,

If it's not already gone, could you put me down for Thursday 21st at 19:00, please?

Cheers,

Andy

On 7 December 2017 at 17:26, 'Tony Short' via Reading Hackspace <reading-hackspace@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Tony Short

Rob Sainsbury

Dec 8, 2017, 9:03:49 AM12/8/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hi Tony
could I book the 14 Dec at 1pm please?

Many thanks

Rob

Tony Short

Dec 8, 2017, 9:05:15 AM12/8/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Done!

Andrew Harvey

Dec 8, 2017, 12:56:02 PM12/8/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks!

Rachael Clark

Dec 9, 2017, 8:11:49 AM12/9/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hey Tony. Could I sign up to the metal lathe workshop for the 17th? Thanks, Rachael

Tony Short

Dec 9, 2017, 8:14:40 AM12/9/17
to Reading Hackspace
Yep! You are all signed up!

Rachael Clark

Dec 9, 2017, 5:15:43 PM12/9/17
to Reading Hackspace
Thank you!

lee Turner

Dec 10, 2017, 8:49:58 AM12/10/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hi Tony,

If no one else claimed it could I have the 7pm 12/12 please?.. lee

Tony Short

Dec 10, 2017, 10:33:55 AM12/10/17
to Reading Hackspace
All yours! Added to calendar, have fun!

lee Turner

Dec 10, 2017, 5:04:15 PM12/10/17
to Reading Hackspace
thankyou
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to reading-hacksp...@googlegroups.com.

Rob Sainsbury

Dec 11, 2017, 4:56:40 AM12/11/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hi Tony
Sorry but I now cannot make Thursday at 1pm, can I please cancel and rebook Monday 18th Dec at 1pm? Sorry for messing you about.

Rob

Tony Short

Dec 11, 2017, 9:15:31 AM12/11/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

No problem, I’ve made that change to the calendar.

Dec 14, 2017, 4:59:45 AM12/14/17
to Reading Hackspace
Can i sign up for the 22 December slot? if its still available.

Thank you

Miguel Serafim

Dec 14, 2017, 5:00:43 AM12/14/17
to Reading Hackspace
at 19:00...

Tony Short

Dec 14, 2017, 6:40:44 AM12/14/17
to Reading Hackspace
I've added you in that slot!

Miguel Serafim

Dec 14, 2017, 8:17:19 AM12/14/17
to Reading Hackspace
thank you

Richard Francis

Dec 15, 2017, 4:41:16 PM12/15/17
to Reading Hackspace
With regret I have to pull out of the metal one tomorrow, but I am very keen to the wood turning one on the 17th (it was showing as available)? Cheers - R

Tony Short

Dec 15, 2017, 7:04:39 PM12/15/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Both done, thanks for letting me know. Derek will see you at 10am on Sunday then!

Dec 19, 2017, 8:13:45 AM12/19/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hi Tony
I am really sorry as I now realise I rebooked the metal lathe workshop for yesterday but turned up for it today. Sorry for wasting everyone’s time I think I need to work out how the google group thing works before I book anything else.
Rob

Tony Short

Dec 20, 2017, 7:41:08 AM12/20/17
to Reading Hackspace
Not a problem Rob, these things happen!

I think Steve was grateful for the rest as he's been working very hard recently doing all these workshop / inductions!

Steve Rodway

Dec 24, 2017, 6:06:36 AM12/24/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Well the Metal Lathe workshops are done for the year, and a big
thank-you to all who attended and made them so sucessful! Hopefully the
spinning tops have all gone to good homes and you'll now think of how
the Lathe may help you in your future projects.

For those who weren't able to attend a workshop before xmas but would
still like to do one at some point, please contact me directly ( at this
email or in person ) and we can organise times in the new year.

Steve

Message has been deleted