Boxford 260 vmc

Jesús Ramírez Fernández

Nov 24, 2016, 6:03:51 PM11/24/16
to Reading Hackspace
Hi,

I´m in the middle of a project and I would need to use the CNC for finish it.

I have two pieces of timber and I want to "empty them" something like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/71/2c/ee/712cee8fdc6abbfc36f42d9a5410ba70.jpg

I think should be quite easy with the CNC, as Ian said to me.

But maybe I misunderstood Ian when he refered to the CNC.

I have found the tutorials of the machine Boxford 260 vmc, but I don't know if it works just for turning. So I don't know if there is another CNC that maybe will be the one that I need to use?

What I have to do is quite simple, it is just to remove a rectangular shape from the timber.

So if someone knows which CNC is the right one for it and if it is necesary to do the training first (for the Boxford 260 vmc the wiki sayd that is needed), would be nice to learn about it :).

Regards.

Jesus.

Ryan .

Nov 25, 2016, 4:26:06 AM11/25/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to get that CNC documented. Simon, Ian and James are the three best folks, they've actually had it up and running before.

Jeremy Poulter

Nov 25, 2016, 5:09:45 AM11/25/16
to rLab List
There are some unedited clips of the session Simon did on the Boxford and Thermoforming center at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/03lfsawaak7gt3s/AAAP_O-OhU-05yHfqE5-vZLea?dl=0

Richard Ibbotson

Nov 25, 2016, 5:22:30 AM11/25/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
One thing to decide is if you want a piece of equipment to be used for wood. Most engineering workshops will not allow precision metalworking tools to work wood.
This is due to wood dust soaking up oil, depositing moisture, and containing abrasives like sand in the cells.
For low use equipment of less precision these may not be such a big concern for rLab.
First you must assess and decide. If you do wood, make sure you make protectors where possible and train well on protection during use, cleanup and lubrication training.
So far we said no wood on the metal lathe.

Sent via Richard's Phone
07871 256772

Ian Petrie

Nov 26, 2016, 3:52:53 PM11/26/16
to Reading Hackspace

My approach is that using a lathe or mill occasionally for wood is not detrimental - and generally gives the machine a good clean. The oil film on a metalworking machine commonly holds fine metal particles - particularly when the machine is used for cast iron - which become an abrasive paste. When used for wood the dust and shavings, as Richard says, soak up the oil - but also help to pick up other abrasive particles. This gives an opportunity to clean more deeply than usual. The wood is easily swept or vacuumed and takes the oil and metal dust with it. If the machine is then given a fresh coat of lubrication the end result is generally positive.
Using a metal working machine exclusively for wood is a bad move - for all the reasons Richard states - but an occasional wood project can have benefits.

Ian

Ian Petrie

Nov 29, 2016, 6:19:12 AM11/29/16
to Reading Hackspace

Further thoughts on this issue:

1.
If a metalworking machine is used for wood it should not be sanded on the machine - I suspect that's the most likely source for the sand that Richard talks of. ( Though there are woods with a reputation for rapidly blunting tools that would probably have abrasive shavings)

2.
It would be a good idea to get the suds pumps working on the lathe and the Boxford. I suspect that the sticky amalgam of oil and swarf that currently coats the machine where we have been using spot lubrication will be quite abrasive. Flooding the machine with lubricant when turning steel would wash all that away.

Andy Noyes

Nov 29, 2016, 8:35:15 AM11/29/16
to Reading Hackspace
The best thing for the lathe is probably a simple cover or tarp over it to protect it when not in use and stop it gathering a thin film of wood dust. In the past I've also seen it showered with sparks by somebody using an angle grinder at the bench vice.

The mill would benefit from flood coolant, but wood dust in it would make the coolant turn rancid due to bacteria in the wood.

Toby Williams

Nov 29, 2016, 10:36:43 AM11/29/16
to Reading Hackspace
Happy to help where I can with tool maintenance, I'm no expert and so won't dive in by myself.

I've looked before at the dirt up the wall behind the lathe and wondered if we should have a team hack to build some kind of backboard/enclosure? Could make it awesome with tool storage and stuff.

Ryan .

Nov 29, 2016, 10:38:02 AM11/29/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
need to be safety conscious about tools behind many kw many rpm lathe

On 29 Nov 2016 3:36 p.m., "'Toby Williams' via Reading Hackspace" <reading-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Happy to help where I can with tool maintenance,   I'm no expert and so won't dive in by myself.

I've looked before at the dirt up the wall behind the lathe and wondered if we should have a team hack to build some kind of backboard/enclosure? Could make it awesome with tool storage and stuff.

Jesús Ramírez Fernández

Dec 10, 2016, 5:42:07 AM12/10/16
to Reading Hackspace
Hi,

thanks all for the feedback.

I have been taking a looking and taking in consideration all what you have said, but still I think I would need a minimum training then.

My worry is that the wood that I have is quite hard, so I don't know how it will affect to the machine.
The shape to generate is quite simple, so for sure the machine could work for that, but following all the conversation, I'm not quite sure if in the end, my project will clean or destroy the machine.

I think that in any of the cases if there is someone around with knowledge about the topic would be benefitial for the maintenance of the machine.
If is someone avaible this weekend I could go there and take a look how to do it :).

Sorry if I'm asking to much, but I'm really new with these machines and I don't want to break something or put me and other under risk.

Regards.

Jesus.