Shaper Preorder

Ryan .

Aug 25, 2016, 10:25:01 AM8/25/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Anyone else want to pledge for a shaper preorder?

I'll arrange getting it here from the states and stuff.

$1499 at the moment. I'm in for at least $200.

Ryan .

Aug 25, 2016, 10:28:36 AM8/25/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Bear in mind when Americans sell stuff in the UK, the usually only change the symbol in front of the price, not the numbers, so now is the time methinks. 240-110 site transformers are cheap.

Ian Petrie

Aug 25, 2016, 10:47:21 AM8/25/16
to Reading Hackspace

Ian Petrie

Aug 25, 2016, 10:48:07 AM8/25/16
to Reading Hackspace
We have a 110 yellow box.

Andy Noyes

Aug 25, 2016, 11:05:23 AM8/25/16
to Reading Hackspace
The handheld CNC router, or one of these?

bar...@iware.co.uk

Aug 27, 2016, 7:13:27 AM8/27/16
to Reading Hackspace
They do look so cool. But for clarity September 2017 at the earliest (they demoed working models in 2012), and ~$10 per 8x4' in consumable tape. They also say they won't provide support with 50Hz.

I could probably could go $100.

http://www.alecrivers.com/positioncorrectingtools/files/Position-Correcting%20Tools%20for%202D%20Digital%20Fabrication.pdf

Ryan .

Aug 27, 2016, 7:49:59 AM8/27/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure we could hack it to work at 50 Hz, or we could rig up an inverter, I'm sure it's no more than 2000 Watts.

Thanks B!

Mat Lifford

Aug 28, 2016, 9:16:24 AM8/28/16
to Reading Hackspace
What is a Shaper? I had a look at the website and it just looks like a router.

bar...@iware.co.uk

Aug 28, 2016, 10:51:54 AM8/28/16
to Reading Hackspace
It uses computer vision to track where it is. So you load a CnC file, then if you get within 1" of where you want the cut, it moves the bit that last 1" then plunges.

This gives you CnC with much easier clamping and bed side restrictions.

Mr E

Aug 28, 2016, 11:24:21 AM8/28/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
This shows off quite well the kind of things you can do with one:

Rupert

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 3:51 PM, <bar...@iware.co.uk> wrote:
It uses computer vision to track where it is. So you load a CnC file, then if you get within 1" of where you want the cut, it moves the bit that last 1" then plunges.

This gives you CnC with much easier clamping and bed side restrictions.

Tara Martel

Aug 29, 2016, 8:02:09 AM8/29/16
to Reading Hackspace
Looks like a handy gadget.