Stationary bed 3dprinter.

Richard / rgproduct

Jul 2, 2015, 6:05:33 AM7/2/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Does anyone have an ultimaker or similar i might borrow or hire please?

Looking for a stationary (in the x,y) machine with a fairly large print area.

Alex Gibson

Jul 2, 2015, 9:17:54 AM7/2/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
How soon do you need it, and what's the priority for the static Y - straightness of angles compared to moving Y table printers?

I am building exactly that right now - z drops, core xy static.

Machine design by 'smartfriendz'.

Tapped on my mobile phone.

Richard / rgproduct

Jul 2, 2015, 1:41:46 PM7/2/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Fairly soon. A week maybe. Woukd like to film it for a promo.

Stuart Livings

Jul 3, 2015, 2:14:02 AM7/3/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

I presume you want to do a 'stop motion' capture of a print?

Could you use a moving bed printer and synchronise your photos to the
bed being the same position each layer? Would need some software tweaks
or extra hardware... maybe an Arduino project to track the stepper motor
positions and trigger the camera shutter each time the bed hits the
desired photo position? The print head would appear to teleport around,
but I think that's ok...

Richard / rgproduct

Jul 3, 2015, 2:40:22 AM7/3/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Erm, Stu, i think borrowing a different printer night be simpler. For a music video.

Video, not stop frame.

Stuart Livings

Jul 3, 2015, 2:47:22 AM7/3/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

I didn't realise there was anyone on this list who did things the simple
way :D

Richard / rgproduct

Jul 3, 2015, 3:14:37 AM7/3/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
To be fair, what you guys consider as a tricky problem that needs a solution is my daily job, I like to simplify everything just to make it possible in any given timescale.

However simplify is a relative term. Tricky projects are by definition tricky.

There is enough complexity without adding to it IMO.

:-)

Does that make me bad?

Matthew Daubney

Jul 3, 2015, 4:58:18 AM7/3/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Can you not just make amount to attach the camera to the bed? Or are you using silly big cameras?

Richard / rgproduct

Jul 3, 2015, 5:47:48 AM7/3/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
A gopro would work and I offered client same, a good suggestion. They want the BG to stay static too.

Hmm.

Matthew Daubney

Jul 3, 2015, 5:53:18 AM7/3/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Green screen it then just overlay the print? Makes post a bit more complex I suppose. Must be someone with a delta printer around?

Mark Robson

Jul 3, 2015, 5:55:40 AM7/3/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
The "Octoprint" software has the feature to trigger a web cam (or possibly a Picam, if on a Pi) at the same point on each layer. This should mean minimal Y axis shifting (although it will depend on the model and tool paths, of course).

I haven't tried it, but it sounds cool.

Mark

Richard Ibbotson

Jul 3, 2015, 6:08:41 AM7/3/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

I think people often don't know that you are working on a commercial project. So don't realise that you have commercial constraints  and commercial opportunities. The are often important design parameters relating to timescale, cost, and license, so are best shared up front.

"Does that make me bad?"

I think commercial work involving  rLab is great, and we should do everything possible to create a blended environment, both on the mailing list and in the physical environment. I think if commercial works are clear up front on their eventual ownership and license, then few people would change their contribution. I think it will find its own level. Where financial gain can be attributed to ideas or work from rLab members, then some fair recompense would be expected. The only dissapointing thing for me is that we get very little feedback from contributions to commercial projects, I realise there are ownership issues with comercial clients, but would like to see more.

Richard / rgproduct

Jul 3, 2015, 6:12:29 AM7/3/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all,

regarding commercial project, it is more of an inquiry/favour at the moment. IF, and it is an if the budget gets approved it'll firm up.

Just sounding out availabilit at the mo.

Alex Gibson

Jul 3, 2015, 6:18:00 AM7/3/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Actually, been there and done it the way Stuart describes :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsP0Nlt7bA8

The video quality could be much higher, the raw photos came from a DSLR

Cheers
Alex

Richard / rgproduct

Jul 3, 2015, 6:54:13 AM7/3/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Great Alex.

Will see what pans out. appreciate the ideas and comments.

Arduino next...