Fridge compressor advice needed

James

Jun 14, 2016, 4:55:34 AM6/14/16
to Reading Hackspace
Hi Everyone,

I have a fridge freezer (about 6 years old) which is being replaced as the insulation has failed and is not economical to repair.

The compressor is still working fine and my question is is it possible to easily remove the compressor?

I don't know anything about the venting/removing/disposing of the refrigerant and if there are any legal issues/things to look out for?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers,

James

Rupert Edgar

Jun 14, 2016, 8:13:08 AM6/14/16
to Reading Hackspace
Hi,

A bit devil in the details - first find out what gas is in it.  If you look somewhere there will be a sticker detailing which gas it has in it.

Rupert

Tom Allen

Jun 14, 2016, 8:35:43 AM6/14/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

All gases in fridges are covered by f gas regulatotion and should never be vented to atmosphere unless you are 200% sure which one it is (and the vast majority shouldn't be)

There are loads of guides online as to what you can turn them into (vacuum or pressure) but little info on disposing of the gas responsibly unfortunately.

And yes even the small amount in one fridge does count.

Rupert Edgar

Jun 14, 2016, 8:44:12 AM6/14/16
to Reading Hackspace
Defo not - but I was going to suggest, going to a car aircon place and having it evacuated depending on which type it is. :)

Though a lot of them are basically propane and butane.  How ever if it's one of the Ammonia ones - would strongly say don't bother!

James

Jun 14, 2016, 9:08:23 AM6/14/16
to Reading Hackspace
Thanks guys - I will have a look to see what gas is in it.

Tom Allen

Jun 15, 2016, 4:44:07 AM6/15/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

It's unlikely to be ammonia or propane unless it's more than twenty years old. Most likely r then two or three digit code. Totally forgot that all car air con places have waste gas tanks. Phone around and find a friendly one to Degas it. Pls do ensure they have a waste tank and aren't just venting to air though unless you've checked the code and a valid source to say that's ok :)

James

Jun 25, 2016, 11:30:30 AM6/25/16
to Reading Hackspace
hi all,

so i have got the fridge out and and it has r600a (isobutain) refridgerent. From what i have read so far it looks like it is safe to vent to atmosphere. i cant find an official source stating this though.

Anyone have any advice?

thanks,
james

Yossi

Jun 25, 2016, 1:06:53 PM6/25/16
to Reading Hackspace

Tom Allen

Jun 25, 2016, 7:01:09 PM6/25/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
looks fine to me

http://www.boconline.co.uk/en/products-and-supply/refrigerant-gases/natural-refrigerants/care10-r600a/care10-r600a.html
> --

Tom Allen
+44 7939 025 131

Mr E

Jun 26, 2016, 5:45:37 AM6/26/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Ok - Chatted to my sister who's a fully qualified Environmental Scientist.  Agree, it's fine to vent, but if you want to be "good", nick a hole in it somewhere (outside!), and then light it, as it vents - obviously taking precautions for things catching fire.

Then you convert it's "Global Warming Potential" to that of just Carbon Dioxide, which is as low as you can get it.

Once vented, cut the pipes off, leaving plenty spare, and remember it'll have oil in it's sump.

Good luck :)

Rupert

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Yossi <jos...@gmail.com> wrote:

James

Jun 26, 2016, 6:32:45 AM6/26/16
to Reading Hackspace
Thanks for the advice everyone, sounds like im good to go! Very pleased as would be a shame to take the whole thing to the tip when there are decent/useful parts to salvage.

yossi - yes, vacuum table pump or maybe a chip blower for the boxford mill if it has enough puff.

I know nothing about compressors so it will be a interesting project for me :)

thanks again,
James

Yossi

Jun 27, 2016, 2:01:44 AM6/27/16
to Reading Hackspace
James,

You might need to consider lubrication, refrigeration compressors have oil in the gas loop, so they get a constant supply of oil.

One way of solving this is to add an air tool service unit with an oilier upstream. The oil can be scrubbed downstream after the compressor, if you fit a particulate filter on the inlet you will be able to reuse the oil.
Message has been deleted

Chris Beresford

Jun 27, 2016, 2:08:02 AM6/27/16
to Reading Hackspace