ABS & Nylon plastic repair

Manoel Trapier

May 3, 2016, 1:23:09 PM5/3/16
to Reading Hackspace
I have two things to repair,

An old laptop case made of ABS where all the stands for the screw are broken, I have all the bits (or most of them) but of course I can't use standard glue because ifs not strong enough

The other one is a nylon cog used for an old alps plotter mechanism. Some people give a way to repair them, but I don't feel confortable with this method.

So is there is anyone in the space that could give me help or advice about all of this?

(I will bring the laptop today as I want to check it's current condition)

Cheers,
Manoel

Andy Noyes

May 3, 2016, 7:12:11 PM5/3/16
to Reading Hackspace
When you say 'cog' is it actually a gear/toothed pulley or just a plain pulley/drum? Is this like the Commodore 1520 plotter from the 80's?

Manoël Trapier

May 3, 2016, 7:13:55 PM5/3/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, sorry gear, not cog.
It's the same mechanism as the Commodor 1520 plotter and one of the small gear is broken

Andy Noyes

May 3, 2016, 7:19:45 PM5/3/16
to Reading Hackspace
Do you have a picture? And could you count the teeth and measure the OD accurately?

Manoel Trapier

May 3, 2016, 7:25:51 PM5/3/16
to Reading Hackspace
I will try to make one picture of it.

What is OD?

Stuart Livings

May 4, 2016, 1:21:13 AM5/4/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
OD = outside diameter

Alex Gibson

May 4, 2016, 1:39:26 AM5/4/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
You may be able to weld the laptop case using a slurry of ABS dissolved in acetone.  Suggest practice on an expendable item first!

Tapped on my mobile phone.

Andy Noyes

May 4, 2016, 3:47:03 AM5/4/16
to Reading Hackspace
Sorry yes, Outside Diameter. If it's hard to measure the small gear because it's broken, you could measure the diameter of the larger gear it meshes with and count the teeth on both. From this you can approximate the size of the teeth and source/make a replacement which will work better than trying to repair such a small gear.