Introducing 3D Thursdays at rLab

Tony Short

Apr 24, 2017, 1:02:59 PM4/24/17
to Reading Hackspace

Join us on Thursday evenings to explore all things 3D design

From 7pm every Thursday we will be discussing all things 3D design. How to start, what to use, projects, examples, troubleshooting, 3D printers, materials, and anything else you want to cover.
Come along to share your experiences, or to learn something new. All good preparation for any future 3D printer purchase, have your own models to print on day one!

3D printers will be available on the night, and any designs can be output over the following week, ready for the next 3D Thursday. Bringing your laptop, or tablet, will be useful, but not essential.

Any questions? Just ask!

Tony

Ryan .

Apr 24, 2017, 1:15:56 PM4/24/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Amazing!!

gavi...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2017, 1:37:54 PM4/24/17
to 'Tony Short' via Reading Hackspace

Cool!

Apr 27, 2017, 10:33:40 AM4/27/17
to Reading Hackspace
Just a reminder that we will be starting off our 3D Thursdays at rLab tonight. All welcome to investigate the ins and outs of 3D design.

Tony

Toby Williams

Apr 27, 2017, 11:49:49 AM4/27/17
to Reading Hackspace
Would love to be there, but can't. Sorry!

Norro

Apr 27, 2017, 1:26:01 PM4/27/17
to Reading Hackspace
I'm also keen but can't make it today.

Eric Rowen

Apr 27, 2017, 3:39:50 PM4/27/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Same story, very interested but can't make it.

Oliver

Apr 27, 2017, 6:23:23 PM4/27/17
to Reading Hackspace
Great first evening!
Few outputs below, firstly a very crude propeller (designed in Fusion360 as a demo).
The second object, a Stanford bunny handled pixie mug? Was thrown together in MeshMixer.
IMG_2501.JPG
IMG_2500.JPG

Tony Short

Apr 27, 2017, 7:26:07 PM4/27/17
to Reading Hackspace
Thanks to everyone who turned up, I would have felt silly sitting there on my lonesome!

Also thanks to Oliver for giving me a lift in with my printer and sample prints, and Rupert for giving me a lift back.

Unless anyone brings up any specific subjects to cover I think next Thursday we will be looking at Fusion 360 fundamentals. If you have a 3D design project you want help with, please come along!

Richard Ibbotson

May 1, 2017, 6:41:21 AM5/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
Is there anyone down next Thursday (4th May), who can introduce me to the CAM capabilities of Fusion 360?

I need to generate g-code to drive the steppers/servos on the cutting bed for Stan, plus also add some g-codes to control the laser power and pulses. The design work will be done in Fusion 360, so interested if it is possible to output suitable g-code direct from Fusion 360, or if we need an intermediate fix-up program to add the laser cutter parameters.
Controller is AZS MZ with modified Smoothie code, Will likely use LaserWeb for the machine control, if I can make it Stan friendly

Gavin

May 1, 2017, 6:50:02 AM5/1/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard - I can try an get there and share the little that I know. I have put some basic info about the structures of the menu system on the wiki here (geared towards Boxford users but generally applicable I think). You will have to select a suitable post-processor - not sure if they have one to match AZS MZ or a generic one that can be used.

Toby Williams

May 1, 2017, 9:30:25 AM5/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
I've succeeded in writing a macro in fusion 360, in python which was pretty easy. It didn't go anywhere near the gcode though.

I think there are options around the post processor, maybe that is the best place to influence the output?

Andy Noyes

May 1, 2017, 12:45:04 PM5/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
I'd love an update on Stan. It sounds like there's been progress?