Removing varnish with DCM?

Gavin

Jul 28, 2015, 6:35:25 AM7/28/15
to Reading Hackspace

Anyone used DCM for removing varnish / old paint? I have a staircase covered in what looks like decades of weird dark brown paint / varnish /polish (I really have no idea what). I am trying Nitromors on it and it doesn't seem that effective. Would straight DCM be better?

Any other recommendations? I have success with a combination of heat-gun (to take the top off) and heavy sanding on the flat bits, but it would require days to give that treatment to the finer detail.

All advice v gratefully received.

Eric Rowen

Jul 28, 2015, 1:11:09 PM7/28/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
DCM seems to be a bit tricky to use.......... like banned in paint strippers

Nitromors always used to work, maybe RTFM, which may say leave it on a while.

Old Nitromors did contain dichloromethane

Latest type and instructions...

Richard Ibbotson

Jul 28, 2015, 1:32:24 PM7/28/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Straight DCM tends to evaporate too quick, the commercial DCM strippers had a polymer added to make it to more of a gel.

Gavin

Jul 28, 2015, 1:47:43 PM7/28/15
to Reading Hackspace, richard....@btinternet.com

On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 6:32:24 PM UTC+1, Richard Ibbotson wrote:

Straight DCM tends to evaporate too quick, the commercial DCM strippers had a polymer added to make it to more of a gel.

Ah, that makes sense.

Jul 28, 2015, 3:02:36 PM7/28/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
A possibility is to scour the surface without going through to the wood, allowing the stripper to penetrate through the top layer which sounds like something stripper proof.  i.e. not paint.

Scour as in with a craft knife or similar not a pad like Scotch-brite

Heat stripping is an art.  Heat (and letting it cool)   may be another option before applying some Nitromors

Also after heat stripping the top layers it should then be possible to use a paint stripper, but even with a paint stripper you would need to sand it down

Andy Hayward

Jul 28, 2015, 4:11:53 PM7/28/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Nitromors, wirewool and rubber gloves. The wirewool should scratch the surface layers enough for the paint stripper to penetrate.