New Forge / Workshops

Steve Rodway

Mar 16, 2018, 7:36:48 AM3/16/18
to rLab mailing list
Hi Everyone,
After yesterday's efforts with the new forge I've decided that it's now
functional enough to start offering workshops on using it. Luke and I
will be working together on this to provide workshops on bladesmithing
to any rLab members who're interested. We've run a few test workshops so
far and we've had some fairly good results (see attached images!)
The workshops will take the form of 2 days, at least a week apart
during which you'll get to make and finish a small utility knife
(exactly how big will depend on your forging skill but around 3-4" blade
is the aim). The first day will be lead by me and we'll do the safety
briefing, initial shaping, get lunch, then finish the forging, normalize
and anneal the blades and I'll demonstrate the grinding process we need
to follow. We can discuss when we want the second day to be at that
point which will be lead by Luke and will involve drilling the tangs for
rivits, hardening and tempering the knives, final grinding and preparing
and fitting the handles finishing up with using the whetstones to put a
proper edge on them. Both will be full days, starting at something
around 9 or 10am, and we're unlikely to be finished before 5pm.
There's going to be a charge of £20 for the 2 days of the workshop
which covers all materials such as metals and timber, all consumable
like gas and resins and all machine useage charges. Depending on
availability more exotic materials like higher-grade metals or fancy
woods for the handle may be available at cost.
It would be helpful but not essential if you're already inducted on the
cold-cut metal saw and at least one of the arc welding machines (I like
MIG best for this but any will work, TIG may be better if we're premium
metals). The workshop counts as an induction on the new forge.
Clothing wise don't wear anything that's good, it's going to get a bit
dirty and possibly burnt spots! Overalls are ideal if you have them,
otherwise reasonably sturdy clothing. Avoid synthetic fabrics as best
you can cause they can catch fire easily. Safety boots if you have them,
otherwise sturdy shoes that you don't mind getting messed up.
Be aware that unless you're used to this sort of work you're likely to
be very sore the day after, especially in the forearms. OK I think that
covers everything, please email me directly if you're interested and
we'll try to put together groups to do this!

Steve
P1070417.JPG
P1070418.JPG

Steve Rodway

Mar 16, 2018, 7:38:05 AM3/16/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
P.S. for legal reasons, over-18s only, ID will be required unless you're
very, very obviously over 18

Steve

Andy Noyes

Mar 16, 2018, 8:07:52 AM3/16/18
to Reading Hackspace
Sounds like fun and I need an excuse to get to the Hackspace more.

Please put my name down. I'm very obviously over 18.

Andy

Fe

Mar 16, 2018, 9:13:22 AM3/16/18
to Reading Hackspace
Marie says she's interested (and is over 18 too). Though she's not inducted on the two bit of equipment. Do you want her to get inducted on them before you run the workshop? Thank you :)

Steve Rodway

Mar 16, 2018, 9:14:53 AM3/16/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Really up to her if she has the time, it's helpful if she is, but not
essential.

We won't be running the first session for at least 2 weeks since I need
to leave for a while, so there's some time available to get inducted.

Stephen Cornes

Mar 16, 2018, 11:30:56 AM3/16/18
to Reading Hackspace
I am interested and would like to sign up! :)

Karl Sainz Martinez

Mar 16, 2018, 11:39:39 AM3/16/18
to Reading Hackspace
Thanks for running this, I am so in. I'm inducted on MIG and TIG already, but not on the saw. I'll try to get inducted by then.

Steve

Mar 19, 2018, 11:58:13 AM3/19/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
OK that looks like about 6 sign-ups for the forging course, plenty
enough to be worth running it!

Can everyone interested please send an email DIRECT to me at
Steve...@legionelectronics.co.uk and we can arrange scheduling without
clogging up the mailing list.

P.S. Signups still open, if anyone else is interested just send me the
direct email and arrange dates for you too.

Iain Farquhar

Mar 20, 2018, 11:03:39 AM3/20/18
to Reading Hackspace
I'm interested, if there are any slots remaining?

Steve Rodway

Mar 20, 2018, 1:32:11 PM3/20/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Yup, we're still agreeing when we might run the bladesmithing workshops
so I've cc'd you into the scheduling messages

Steve

Iain Farquhar wrote:
> I'm interested, if there are any slots remaining?

Steve Rodway

Mar 26, 2018, 2:11:26 AM3/26/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
The first session has been organized for the 7th and is now fully booked
up, further sessions will be arranged soon so if anyone else who's not
already messaged me is interested, please let me know!

As usual this means we'll be taking over the loading bay area for the
day so work with the wood lathes, table saw or bandsaw may be difficult
on the 7th and we'll probably be making quite a lot of noise.

Steve

Victoria Lawson

Mar 26, 2018, 5:39:05 AM3/26/18
to Reading Hackspace
Any idea when the next session will start? Is the following weekend feasible or are we looking at something a month from now?

Iain Farquhar

Apr 3, 2018, 6:33:46 AM4/3/18
to Reading Hackspace
Would it be worth setting up a couple of Doodle Polls to find dates that work for everyone? If someone tells me how many different sessions are needed and who is which group, I'm happy to set them up.

Steve

Apr 3, 2018, 6:45:59 AM4/3/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
It's a little challenging to do that since the times that are available
for future groups somewhat depend on what we schedule for the second day
of the group already in progress. As well as of course Luke and my
availability which is tricky to sort out very far into the future and
the need to avoid bunching them up too much as it's hard physical work
and needs some recovery time.
I'm afraid that it's simply going to take some time to get through
everyone who wants to do this, but I will keep running these workshops
until everyone who's interested has had a go.

Steve

Victoria Lawson

Apr 3, 2018, 6:48:48 AM4/3/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
A poll just for first session of second group should hopefully be manageable (and easier to follow than all these email chains). If we all fill in when we'd like to attend, you & Luke could pick the days that suit you?

Steve Rodway

Apr 12, 2018, 3:50:07 PM4/12/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
There's a slot opened up for the forge workshops for anyone who's
interested at 9am on Sunday, let me know if you're interested in taking
part, info from original post quoted below

Stephen Cornes

Apr 14, 2018, 2:23:43 PM4/14/18
to Reading Hackspace
Thanks to Steve and Luke (and Andy, Karl, Simon and the other helpful members of the space) I have a great new home made knife. (Space made? Hack made? Lab made?)

It is awesome and hard work.

Karl Sainz Martinez

Apr 14, 2018, 3:33:35 PM4/14/18
to Reading Hackspace
Hand-made, at any rate :)

Thank you so much Steve and Luke! I am really happy with my new knife, and I'm looking forward to doing something bigger with that forge!

Andy Noyes

Apr 14, 2018, 4:10:57 PM4/14/18
to Reading Hackspace
Didn't quite finish my knife today (went off to enjoy the sunshine instead!) Hope to pop back tomorrow to complete it.

The forge is very well constructed and a useful addition to the space. I'm looking forward to more hammering soon!

Thanks Steve and Luke for the informative and well-prepared tuition.

Alex Gibson

Apr 15, 2018, 5:45:29 AM4/15/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

For people who enjoy banging metal things together… a rare opportunity to purchase vintage/truly old hammers…!

https://www.facebook.com/MountainKingForge/posts/1824428737577991

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

Chris Bingham

Apr 15, 2018, 7:38:37 PM4/15/18
to Reading Hackspace
I have no 'downstairs' inductions (not a euphemism) but would love to learn to do some forging and hammering so please can you include me in the very interested category for a future course.

My wife's great grandad owned a forge near Telford, her dad designed, commissioned and maintained a number of steel furnaces and I have always loved any molten metal footage so I would love to get hands on with this!

Thanks

Chris

Steve

Apr 16, 2018, 1:28:50 AM4/16/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link Alex, I'll look into that and see if they have
anything that can economically improve our capabilities

Steve

Alex Gibson wrote:
> For people who enjoy banging metal things together… a rare opportunity
> to purchase vintage/truly old hammers…!
>

> https://www.facebook.com/MountainKingForge/posts/1824428737577991
>

> Alex Gibson
>

> +44 7813 810 765 @alexgibson3d 37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR
>

> admg consulting
>

> edumaker limited
>

> · Project management
>
> · Operations & Process improvement
>
> · 3D Printing

Steve

Apr 16, 2018, 5:54:58 AM4/16/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I've added you to the discussion list so when we start chatting about
scheduling the next workshop you'll be included. It won't be for the
next fortnight as I've got to head away from Reading for a while but
I'll try to get one organized reasonably soon after I get back.

If you're able to get an induction on the MIG welder and cold-cut metal
saw while I'm away it would be helpful but definitely not essential.

Steve

Steve

Apr 16, 2018, 6:08:11 AM4/16/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to everyone from the first group! You all made some
interesting blades and showed impressive perseverance in the forging and
creativity in the knives you chose to make. Once Luke and I are ready to
offer sessions on Damacus Steel and Stainless Steel forging workshops
you'll all be welcome to join us for those.

I've attached photos of the products made so far so that people can see
what can be done with the new tools we're developing!

Andy produced a short-bladed knife with a deeply carved hand grip
Karl made a double-edged hunting-style knife
Simon made a short, robust utility knife with an etched message
Stephen produced a thin-bladed paring knife

The second group have now forged their blades and will be finishing them
over the next couple of weeks, I'm very keen to see what results they're
able to get with the higher-grade EN47 steel we used this time

Steve
> --
Andy.JPG
Karl.JPG
Simon.JPG
Stephen.JPG

Alex Gibson

Apr 16, 2018, 6:20:08 AM4/16/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Wow! They look brilliant!

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765 @alexgibson3d 37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

• Project management
• Operations & Process improvement
• 3D Printing

Steve Rodway

Apr 25, 2018, 9:50:51 AM4/25/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
We're having another forging workshop on Sunday the 29th and we have one
free slot available this time so if anyone's interested let me know
ASAP! Further sessions will be arranged soon so if anyone else who's not
already messaged me is interested, please let me know by direct email

As usual this means we'll be taking over the loading bay area for the
day so work with the wood lathes, table saw or bandsaw may be difficult
all day on the 29th and we'll probably be making quite a lot of noise.

Steve

Victoria Lawson

Apr 25, 2018, 9:58:54 AM4/25/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Heck yeah! I'd love to have another go if that's ok. But anyone who hasn't done it yet and wants a go takes priority.

Vic

Steve Rodway

Apr 25, 2018, 10:53:31 AM4/25/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
OK, As you say if anyone else who's not done a workshop yet wants to
they get priority, but if no-one else speaks up then you're on.

Steve
> <mailto:reading-hackspace%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

Iain Farquhar

Apr 30, 2018, 5:10:03 AM4/30/18
to Reading Hackspace
If anyone is on the fence about giving this a go, I would thoroughly recommend it. Steve was a really good teacher and, other than a few equipment related issues, the whole workshop went without a hitch and was really fun and educational.

Victoria Lawson

Apr 30, 2018, 5:13:11 AM4/30/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
"without a hitch" -> we broke most of the hammers, haha!

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 10:10 Iain Farquhar, <irh.fa...@gmail.com> wrote:
If anyone is on the fence about giving this a go, I would thoroughly recommend it. Steve was a really good teacher and, other than a few equipment related issues, the whole workshop went without a hitch and was really fun and educational.

Steve

Apr 30, 2018, 5:19:35 AM4/30/18
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Lol, yup, Luke and I are going to make a start on sorting those out
soon, but we were able to improvise and continue the workshop; possibly
we need a more robust timber for the handles or a way of reinforcing them.
This workshop is still open for sign-ups for anyone interested! Later
on we'll be running workshops on making Damacus steel and working with
semi-stainless and stainless steels, but these will only be open to
people who've done the basic blade-making workshop first as there
wouldn't be time to cover all the way from complete novice to getting to
work with difficult materials in one session

Steve
> <mailto:reading-hacksp...@googlegroups.com>.

Andy Noyes

Apr 30, 2018, 5:40:41 AM4/30/18
to Reading Hackspace
The hammer problem is due to that fact that modern mass-produced wooden tool handles are made from boards that have been sawn. To make a strong handle the wood needs to be cleft (split), then the grain of the wood follows the length of the handle. Same goes for chair legs, traditionally these were always cleft from logs, if sawn then the grain usually runs at an angle and creates a weak spot were the wood can split.

Ash timber is particularly good for tool handles and grows everywhere.