Autocad Eagle 8.0 PCB

Richard Ibbotson

Jan 19, 2017, 10:59:09 AM1/19/17
to Reading Hackspace
I see that Eagle 8 has now been released under the AutoCad Banner.
http://www.autodesk.com/products/eagle/overview

As a long time user of Eagle for PCB layout and schematics, I am taking a look.

They are moving to a subscription model, which will upset many I guess.

Not clear on whether licensing of free version now allows commercial use.

Trying to keep an open mind.

Ryan .

Jan 19, 2017, 11:00:09 AM1/19/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, I wonder how the libraries and fusion 360 integrations are...

Richard Ibbotson

Jan 19, 2017, 11:47:25 AM1/19/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

It’s all up in the air.

Many opportunities for progress, differing tech. opinions, and for feathers to fly.

Favourite entertainment for hackers.

Ryan .

Jan 20, 2017, 8:16:40 AM1/20/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Probably the best thing to happen to KiCAD since push and shove routing ;)

I'd love to try eagle again, especially if there's good libraries for it. I can't wait until I don't have to make parts from scratch any more, and I can just get proven footprints for free from some repo online... It feels close, but has anyone tried https://www.snapeda.com/ recently?

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 4:47 PM, Richard Ibbotson <richard....@btinternet.com> wrote:

It’s all up in the air.

Many opportunities for progress, differing tech. opinions, and for feathers to fly.

Favourite entertainment for hackers.

M P

Jan 23, 2017, 5:39:30 AM1/23/17
to reading-hackspace
Has Kikad moved to a schematic editing method that doesn't involve a
lobotomy and a trip back to 1985?

Or alternatively, has someone comes up with a textual representation
of schematics; I mean, that is *exactly* the kind of thing that
could/should be text based. Some sort of meta-netlist really.

On 20 January 2017 at 13:16, Ryan . <ry.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Probably the best thing to happen to KiCAD since push and shove routing ;)
>
> I'd love to try eagle again, especially if there's good libraries for it. I
> can't wait until I don't have to make parts from scratch any more, and I can
> just get proven footprints for free from some repo online... It feels close,
> but has anyone tried https://www.snapeda.com/ recently?
>
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 4:47 PM, Richard Ibbotson
> <richard....@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>> It’s all up in the air.
>>
>> Many opportunities for progress, differing tech. opinions, and for
>> feathers to fly.
>>
>> Favourite entertainment for hackers.

Ryan .

Jan 23, 2017, 5:49:30 AM1/23/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what you mean, latest KiCAD has all kinds of good stuff in the schematic editor, it does subsheets, and erc and all sorts of stuff.

You're right, and libraries with reference designs etc... Maybe one day?

>> <richard.ibbotson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>> I see that Eagle 8 has now been released under the AutoCad Banner.
>> http://www.autodesk.com/products/eagle/overview
>>
>> As a long time user of Eagle for PCB layout and schematics, I am taking a
>> look.
>>
>> They are moving to a subscription model, which will upset many I guess.
>>
>> Not clear on whether licensing of free version now allows commercial use.
>>
>> Trying to keep an open mind.
>>
>> --

gavi...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2017, 6:28:28 AM1/23/17
to Ryan ., reading-...@googlegroups.com

I saw an article on Hackaday where someone had devised a way of designing components, and groups of components, using Python.  I'll dig out a link.

All the main Kicad files are in ASCII, and are pretty easy to edit. I have successfully hacked some difficult to design traces into a PCB file

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

I'm not sure what you mean, latest KiCAD has all kinds of good stuff in the schematic editor, it does subsheets, and erc and all sorts of stuff.

>> <richard....@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>> I see that Eagle 8 has now been released under the AutoCad Banner.
>> http://www.autodesk.com/products/eagle/overview
>>
>> As a long time user of Eagle for PCB layout and schematics, I am taking a
>> look.
>>
>> They are moving to a subscription model, which will upset many I guess.
>>
>> Not clear on whether licensing of free version now allows commercial use.
>>
>> Trying to keep an open mind.
>>
>> --
>>
>> --
>>
>> --

alex hosford

Jan 23, 2017, 6:33:32 AM1/23/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I would kind of love something like OpenSCAD, but for EDA, that you could render both schematic and simple board views with. Especially just for playing with small modules/ideas.

Alex

>> <richard.ibbotson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>> I see that Eagle 8 has now been released under the AutoCad Banner.
>> http://www.autodesk.com/products/eagle/overview
>>
>> As a long time user of Eagle for PCB layout and schematics, I am taking a
>> look.
>>
>> They are moving to a subscription model, which will upset many I guess.
>>
>> Not clear on whether licensing of free version now allows commercial use.
>>
>> Trying to keep an open mind.
>>
>> --
>>
>> --
>>
>> --

gavi...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2017, 7:51:16 AM1/23/17
to Ryan ., reading-...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

I saw an article on Hackaday where someone had devised a way of designing components, and groups of components, using Python.  I'll dig out a link.

All the main Kicad files are in ASCII, and are pretty easy to edit. I have successfully hacked some difficult to design traces into a PCB file

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

I'm not sure what you mean, latest KiCAD has all kinds of good stuff in the schematic editor, it does subsheets, and erc and all sorts of stuff.

>> <richard....@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>> I see that Eagle 8 has now been released under the AutoCad Banner.
>> http://www.autodesk.com/products/eagle/overview
>>
>> As a long time user of Eagle for PCB layout and schematics, I am taking a
>> look.
>>
>> They are moving to a subscription model, which will upset many I guess.
>>
>> Not clear on whether licensing of free version now allows commercial use.
>>
>> Trying to keep an open mind.
>>
>> --
>>
>> --
>>
>> --

alex hosford

Jan 23, 2017, 7:52:18 AM1/23/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Awww yeah something to play with on the train!

Alex

>> <richard.ibbotson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>> I see that Eagle 8 has now been released under the AutoCad Banner.
>> http://www.autodesk.com/products/eagle/overview
>>
>> As a long time user of Eagle for PCB layout and schematics, I am taking a
>> look.
>>
>> They are moving to a subscription model, which will upset many I guess.
>>
>> Not clear on whether licensing of free version now allows commercial use.
>>
>> Trying to keep an open mind.
>>
>> --
>>
>> --
>>
>> --

Ryan .

Jan 23, 2017, 8:58:21 AM1/23/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Ryan .

Jan 23, 2017, 9:08:29 AM1/23/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone tried the new Eagle?

Marcus

Jan 25, 2017, 5:11:55 PM1/25/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
This just popped up on Hacker News: https://xesscorp.github.io/skidl/docs/_site/index.html

"TL;DR

Never use a lousy schematic editor again! SKiDL is a simple module that lets you describe electronic circuits using Python. The resulting Python program outputs a netlist that a PCB layout tool uses to create a finished circuit board."

Jeremy Poulter

Jan 25, 2017, 5:23:39 PM1/25/17
to rLab List
Never use a lousy schematic editor again, use a lousy programming language instead ;-)

Well ok Python is not lousy, but I am extremely skeptical that this is a good solution to the problem of creating schematics which are inherently graphical in nature and a good schematic is not just about the net list.

That being said Python is better suited to source control so this could make colaberation easier...

Mark Robson

Jan 26, 2017, 3:07:56 AM1/26/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
It certainly looks promising, I suspect the devil's in the detail.

I like the idea of having a text-file descibing the design that can go into version-control, have "diff" applied to it, etc.

Whether it works in practice, remains to be seen.

Mark

gavi...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2017, 3:38:26 AM1/26/17
to Mark Robson, reading-...@googlegroups.com

Though you could do the same with the KiCad files themselves, and if you took opportunities to label parts / nets etc sensibly, the files probably bear a diff comparison