Small laser cutter + HP laptop

Mark Robson

Jul 25, 2016, 6:19:29 PM7/25/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've been trying to get the (newer) HP laptop working with the older (smaller) laser cutter. I upgraded the laptop PC and it now has enough memory.

But so far, no joy making it work.

I managed to figure out the problem with the dongle - NSDK2 (Newlydraw 2) needs a different dongle, I think, so the current dongle does not operate (even with the old machine).

Newlydraw 1 does start up, but can't talk to the laser, this appears to be because the device driver isn't present. The installer doesn't install it, and it's not clear where it appeared from on the old machine - I shall investigate further.

It's possible that it won't work on Windows 7 64-bit - So I have installed a 32-bit VM on there (Virtualbox) to try. This doesn't work either because of the same problem.

As far as I can tell it's some type of usb-serial thingybob, I'll look up (and write) the USB ID of the device next time I'm down.

Any suggestions, I'd be happy.

Is there an open-source toolchain which can do this? Newlydraw is not the greatest software ever, and to be honest its toolpath generation is a bit weird sometimes too.

Mark

Martin Raynsford

Jul 26, 2016, 2:53:31 AM7/26/16
to Reading Hackspace
I've not seen anyone manage to get newlydraw working on anything newer than windows XP, even the manufacturers stopped supporting it ages ago.

Mark Robson

Jul 26, 2016, 3:59:05 AM7/26/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I will try a Windows XP VM there instead. Maybe that will work.

Mark

Tom Allen

Jul 26, 2016, 4:25:15 AM7/26/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

The driver is on the CD under the machine. And I only ever got it working on xp

Mark Robson

Jul 26, 2016, 6:51:43 PM7/26/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
So far so good... I've got the lasercutter working under Windows 7 32-bit in a VM. Unfortunately, 64-bit is currently installd, so it needs a reinstall.

I've updated the wiki to include the name of the driver (http://rlab.org.uk/wiki/ToolDocs/LaserCutter#Software lpc214x ) . The driver can be copied from the old XP machine.

Mark