Welding assistance

Matthew Daubney

Jul 28, 2015, 4:23:42 AM7/28/15
to Reading Hackspace
Hello,

Me again with a daft project idea for a Sunday. If I can get a couple of knackered bikes from the bike kitchen, could someone help me cut them down and weld them back together as a unicycle? Always fancied learning how to ride one, but never wanted to actually buy one! If we could get a few frames then maybe we could do a group build thing?

-Matt Daubney

Andy Noyes

Jul 28, 2015, 5:06:55 AM7/28/15
to Reading Hackspace, ma...@daubers.co.uk
I can help with the welding. Coincidently RBK are having a closed session this Friday to sort out all their scrap bikes, 6.30 onwards (probably until after 9pm). Come and pick out some parts if you want.

Depending on the design it might be harder to build than you might first think, taller ones with chains are probably easier, short ones with the cranks attached straight to the wheel, more difficult.

Matthew Daubney

Jul 28, 2015, 5:15:05 AM7/28/15
to Reading Hackspace, andysm...@gmail.com
Thanks Andy,

Will have a chat this evening while filming Mr Smiley Biscuit Tin. I'd prefer to do a short one with cranks straight on the wheels. Less height to fall from. My understanding is that you just have to weld the freewheel shut and then figure out some kind of mount for the pedals...... Will be easier to see with parts in hand though I suspect!

Richard / rgproduct

Jul 28, 2015, 5:18:59 AM7/28/15
to Reading Hackspace
Hi guys, need to be in LDN tonight, will miss the test. Regrettably.

Bikes, i hacked a load in my youth ( made a 3 wheel rear steering trike at 12) happy to help.

Will try and make friday, if i can too, may be filming...

Can you see if there are any cargo bikes there please?

Should be around wed night.

Andy Noyes

Jul 28, 2015, 5:22:59 AM7/28/15
to Reading Hackspace, ma...@daubers.co.uk
Ok, I'll be there tonight from around 7pm. You'll probably need a custom hub to mount the cranks, not too difficult, but more engineering involved.

Bob Dunlop

Jul 28, 2015, 6:37:10 AM7/28/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, Jul 28 at 02:15, Matthew Daubney wrote:
> Will have a chat this evening while filming Mr Smiley Biscuit Tin. I'd
> prefer to do a short one with cranks straight on the wheels. Less height to
> fall from. My understanding is that you just have to weld the freewheel
> shut and then figure out some kind of mount for the pedals...... Will be
> easier to see with parts in hand though I suspect!

The problem is flywheel/sprocket is on the inside of the frame, peddles/
crank on the outside. The chain makes the transition from inside to out.
A direct drive unicycle must need a radically different wheel bearing.

--
Bob Dunlop

Matthew Daubney

Jul 28, 2015, 6:40:55 AM7/28/15
to Reading Hackspace, bob.d...@xyzzy.org.uk
Yes. I've been working through that in my head. Most of the unicycle pictures I can find on google just have the bearings on the forks. I'm pretty sure there would be some bearings I can steal from somewhere on the bike to fashion somehow on the forks. That or rework the wheel hub to have the pedal drive go through some kind of tube that has the requisite bearings in or something. Again, probably easier to work out with parts in front of me :) I'd aim to do it with nothing but bike parts.....

daprigoo

Jul 28, 2015, 7:27:57 AM7/28/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I've been meaning to donate my kids bikes to RBK, you can have the larger one - it is a girls bike but that shouldn't make difference. Not sure if wheel size has a bearing, if so I can bring it and the smaller one down. Inner tubes need replacing on both.

David

Avast logo

Matthew Daubney

Jul 28, 2015, 7:37:58 AM7/28/15
to Reading Hackspace, dapr...@googlemail.com
Thanks David,

If they're in good condition (i.e. just need tubes or whatever) I'd rather they go to the bike kitchen! Rather not chop up a useful bike :)  If you pop them in the space I can take them down Friday evening?

Stuart Ward

Jul 28, 2015, 7:51:10 AM7/28/15
to Reading Hackspace

On 28 July 2015 at 10:06, Andy Noyes <andysm...@gmail.com> wrote:
I can help with the welding. Coincidently RBK are having a closed session this Friday to sort out all their scrap bikes, 6.30 onwards (probably until after 9pm). Come and pick out some parts if you want.

Andy, could we make this a welding course, I want to learn that and making some crazy bike things on the way would be good.

-- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143

Andy Noyes

Jul 28, 2015, 7:55:25 AM7/28/15
to Reading Hackspace, stuar...@bcs.org
I think Ian is better qualified to actually teach welding, but I can show you the basics. Then it's just practice.

Richard / rgproduct

Jul 28, 2015, 8:30:02 AM7/28/15
to Reading Hackspace, ma...@daubers.co.uk
Welding thin wall tubing, bike frames is not straightforward.

Most likely normal mig/stick may be too aggressive and not give tidy results?

Braising can work, tig or small mig is best iirc?

Andy Noyes

Jul 28, 2015, 8:53:00 AM7/28/15
to Reading Hackspace, rgpr...@hotmail.com
It can be done with a Mig (even a cheapo gasless one), it just takes care and a slightly different technique.

The good thing about welding is you can always grind away your mistakes and start again!

mikethebee

Jul 30, 2015, 4:52:35 PM7/30/15
to Reading Hackspace, ma...@daubers.co.uk, andysm...@gmail.com
Hi Andy, I will miss the scrapping, but if you see a lightweight saddle strut that would be suitable for adding a seat to my scooter, then pls grab it. I planned to post my design requests soon, but did not realise RBK are having a clear out. Sounds like welding it will be tricky, but other fixing options are feasible... more later.

And have a gr8 day and success at the Robot Wars event.

Mucho App. - Mike

Richard / rgproduct

Jul 30, 2015, 10:26:17 PM7/30/15
to Reading Hackspace
Looks like i am about friday. When and who might be going to the bike thing?. Is it in town in the corner building?

Richard / rgproduct

Jul 30, 2015, 10:27:04 PM7/30/15
to Reading Hackspace
BTW, can print igus bearings for the lower unicycle bearing...

Andy Noyes

Jul 31, 2015, 4:04:40 AM7/31/15
to Reading Hackspace, rgpr...@hotmail.com
I'm probably not actually going to the RBK thing this evening but Lucille will be there (who made the lights at the space). You'll need to knock on the front door to gain access, say you've come to help with the bike triage/scrap sorting. I'll let her know some hackspace people might be turning up.

Andy Noyes

Jul 31, 2015, 5:42:35 AM7/31/15
to Reading Hackspace, rgpr...@hotmail.com, andysm...@gmail.com
Mike, what size seat post? I'll keep a look out.

Derek Scuffell

Aug 3, 2015, 3:43:58 AM8/3/15
to Reading Hackspace, ma...@daubers.co.uk
I'd agree. tig or brazing is best for bike tubing. Having said that I've made hog roasters from old bikes and done a cut & shut cargo bike using mig. The key is just to avoid burning through the tube. And always sheath any tube joints.

Greg Beresford

Aug 7, 2015, 11:52:33 AM8/7/15
to Reading Hackspace
I know it's not as fun as welding one, but I have a unicycle you can have on long term loan if you like, and I can help you learn to ride it :)
Message has been deleted

Richard / rgproduct

Aug 7, 2015, 1:01:49 PM8/7/15
to Reading Hackspace
Greg, what a kind offer. I suspect that would be far too simple a solution however...

:-) R