Library Makerspace

Stuart Ward

Jul 16, 2015, 6:09:00 AM7/16/15
to Reading Hackspace

Further to the discussion last night on Library makerspaces. I came across this site, mostly US based, but probably a useful guide to show that this is a good idea.

http://library-maker-culture.weebly.com/makerspaces-in-libraries.html

and here is the article by Prof. Mark Miodownik

http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2013/09/ideas-bank/hackspaces-are-the-new-public-library

A survey of UK libraries that are incorporating maker type activities.
and a Library makerspace network

http://makerlibrarynetwork.org/makerspace/

-- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143

Stuart Ward

Jul 16, 2015, 6:21:46 AM7/16/15
to Reading Hackspace
Learning to code in the browser, see.

https://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

-- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143

Andy Noyes

Jul 16, 2015, 6:25:45 AM7/16/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Some libraries in Reading may be threatened with closure as RBC has to cut £7m from their public services budget. The libraries at risk might be interested in something like this to raise their use.

But what making can you do in a library? Arts 'n crafts (quietly)? No welding, grinding or hammering. Even 3D printers make a noise readers might find irritating, but then does anybody even read in libraries anymore?

Stuart Ward

Jul 16, 2015, 6:37:34 AM7/16/15
to Reading Hackspace

On 16 July 2015 at 11:25, Andy Noyes <andysm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Some libraries in Reading may be threatened with closure as RBC has to cut £7m from their public services budget. The libraries at risk might be interested in something like this to raise their use.

This was a group from Newbury Library that came down last night to see what we were doing. I did ask if they had any connections into Reading Library... but they seem to be council divided and don't talk to each other.

daprigoo

Jul 16, 2015, 6:57:56 AM7/16/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I belive that is refered to as "the Berkshire problem"

Avast logo

Richard Ibbotson

Jul 16, 2015, 7:25:47 AM7/16/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

I don't think simply raising the use of libraries will be enough, it is too late. If the  libaries are on the hit list, and RBC have to make the savings. Any opportunity must have an external source of non government funding built in. This could be lottery, or business sponsorship.

Now is the time to do something, while if RBC have library properties, but problems with running costs. If the properties are lost, then recovery would be unlikely.

Eric Rowen

Jul 16, 2015, 12:39:08 PM7/16/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Are they called Libraries any longer?  Basingstoke has a "Discovery Centre"  (which seems to incorporate what is/was a "Library") where you discover (noisy) meetings held in the middle of what is now a totally open plan arrangement,  or 99 children being instructed on how to sing loudly, although not loud enough to drown out their leader....  (sorry my age is showing) so any concerns about NOISE are misplaced.....(you would not even notice a 3D printer) ....... unless Reading really does have Libraries?  And in the middle a cafe with all the noise of any number of machines and various unsavory smells........

So..........whatever you are going to do (welding isn't noisy and oxy acetylene is quieter than arc welding) will be better than Libraries closing, oh and Basingstoke council spent  £M1.5  converting the "Library" into the open plan Discovery Centre (which has a toilet!!) so that is where the money went (I know that was Berkshire not Hampshire) and why others are closing..

Seriously !! Do anything you can do to stop Libraries closing...... as they will never re-open.

Norro

Jul 16, 2015, 4:49:38 PM7/16/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Other than nostalgia I'm not sure why you want to save libraries for the general public?  We have the internet now with access to a vastly larger collection of information.  There is just not the same requirement.

Space for nonprofit/educational exhibitions, access to computers for those who dont have it seem much more useful.

3D printing could be but I don't think we are there yet where it can operate without expertise to use it/fix it, for the public seems much better suited to some kind of 3d print shop.

Alex Gibson

Jul 16, 2015, 5:29:19 PM7/16/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

My opinion only:

As someone who is deeply grateful for the way that the internet has enriched my adult life, I have to passionately disagree that it supersedes the need for libraries, even in a digital age.

People access books in a different way to information on the internet, it’s a deeper connection and commitment of attention.  Like paying for a seat in the cinema to watch a film, not seeing clips of it on YouTube.

As a functional resource, I have no need at all for a library – I check most things on the internet, and if I need a deeper reference, well, I ask on here, or could buy an e-version of a reference book, or buy from Amazon/eBay.  Because I am at a stage of life where I am highly economically active and have little time.

When I was young, though, I enjoyed many hours in libraries, browsing for and even reading or listening to books and CDs.  Being surrounded by all that content, managed in an accessible structure, in a slightly reverential atmosphere and crucially devoid of any profit motive, was extremely valuable in building a love of knowledge, and skills to be able to interrogate and seek out information.

For older people they can be a crucial source of social interaction and mental stimulation.  There are others, but it’s a key part of the picture.

I fear that the combination of a blurring of the basic function of a library with other social resources, and a reductionist focus on utilitarian business justifications, has taken hold.  The people making policy see the library as an inefficient cost centre whose ‘goods’ are delivered commercially, and they are all of the wrong demographic to appreciate their true value.

Functional literacy, and ability to buy books to get to the content, does not equate to a culture of learning and search for knowledge, and a love of books and ‘deep’ content.

Like public service broadcasting, I believe strongly that libraries need to be defended on their own merits, updated and curated for this century, not merged and pared down.

Sadly I think the ship may have sailed, so I agree we should promote anything that keeps them viable as community spaces, in which one might stumble upon a book or two…

No virus found in this message.

Norro

Jul 16, 2015, 6:01:32 PM7/16/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com, al...@alexgibson.net
The reason why I call that nostalgia is because younger generations simply don't do that.  Forcing them into what you or I did as a kid isn't any way to inspire them, you have to meet them on their own terms.

Plus the way we use information has significantly changed with universal availability. We have become an index to a much wider pool of knowledge.  Instead of 'absorbing > determine key points > understand' the process has moved on to a more efficient 'search for key points > understand'. (The real downside is in quality control on the production side rather than the usage)  So sitting down and reading a book may be a nice thing to do but it's leisure now not education.

I think there is a role for them but to focus on seeing/doing the stuff in person that you can't on the net.

As for old people. There is a tendacy to think that each generation does a certain thing but look closely and thats not the case. Our old people don't do the same as the generation before them, as they didn't the generation before them, as they didn't the generation before then.  It ripples forward.

daprigoo

Jul 17, 2015, 2:36:59 AM7/17/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Our local library tends to have three types of visitor mainly, Mums with very young, various people browsing the internet and older people reading and browsing the internet. Granted some of this could be done on a home PC or at an internet cafe but the key aspect is that is a community space which has low cost resources and is quite non-threatening for the older (and very young) generations.

There is no reason why 3D printers or many other craft activities couldn't be operated in a library
- http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/2013/02/06/manufacturing-makerspaces/
- http://oedb.org/ilibrarian/a-librarians-guide-to-makerspaces/

Be careful not to project what you think is valuable or useful on to what others actually want and need.
David

Marc Brevoort

Jul 17, 2015, 5:35:49 AM7/17/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting idea. Several physical media are clearly on the way out so libraries could use a boost.
But if I hardly ever visit a library anymore, it's mostly because their opening times are when I'm busy.

Tara Martel

Jul 17, 2015, 3:35:54 PM7/17/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
If the libraries do close that might be a great opportunity to reopen them as some kind of technology centres...

Gavin Gaunt

Jul 18, 2015, 8:28:42 AM7/18/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
For me there's something totemic about libraries. Free access to knowledge for absolutely anyone who wants to better themselves regardless of age, wealth and background. A great force for social good. And for some it's their only access not just to books but also the internet.

True, many libraries have not evolved quickly enough and made the most of the opportunities of the internet age, or seized the opportunity to redefine themselves. But I will be gutted to see them close, not out of some nostalgic sense of what they used to be, but for the opportunity forgone.

As Richard said, once they close, they won't reopen. The land and buildings will be sold, and there will never again be this resource at the centre of our communities.

I get that there need to be cutbacks, but where are the modern philanthropists to stop this happening? This town is awash with money. Is someone organising?

Jul 18, 2015, 11:43:50 AM7/18/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Many of the libraries built in the UK were "Carnegie Libraries"  not the least of which was the one in my home town.

And there appears to be an on-going initiative... "CARNEGIE LIBRARY LAB"

"The programme launched in September 2014 and will run until late 2017. It is overseen by an Advisory Group. The programme has five elements............ "

Maybe there is a possible tie up between Hackspaces and libraries?

"The remit of the Trust has been the same since we began in 1913, although our approach has changed over time. In the past, the Trust was involved in supporting communities and voluntary action particularly through funding for libraries, village halls, national parks, youth projects, community development, the arts and the environment."

Tara Martel

Jul 18, 2015, 2:12:15 PM7/18/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I think there should be. Libraries have always been about the accumulation of knowledge, research and new ideas.

In that respect hackspaces have the same reason d'etre as libraries do.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Reading Hackspace" group.

Stuart Livings

Jul 22, 2015, 5:27:09 AM7/22/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

On 16/07/2015 11:37, Stuart Ward wrote:
Do you know who that was, did you get any contact details?  Newbury is my closest town and I may well be up for starting a mini-makerspace at the library...

mikethebee

Jul 30, 2015, 5:47:27 AM7/30/15
to Reading Hackspace, stu...@livings.co.uk
Stuart, the Newbury Lbrary Makerspace group are posting in the thread https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/reading-hackspace/CFppAbfSbA0 but I don't know it you spotted it under it's title. -Mike

Gavin

Oct 24, 2015, 7:12:53 AM10/24/15
to Reading Hackspace, stu...@livings.co.uk
RBC are now consulting on their library services:

Library Service Review

The Council is carrying out a review of library services.

The way people use libraries is changing. Instead of relying on their local library to access books and information, today people have a range of options, like e-books or the internet for example. At the same time Councils everywhere are having to make major savings as a result of Government cuts in funding.

We need to save £39 million over the next three years to 2019. We also want to create a modern and fit-for-purpose library service, well-used by local residents because it provides the services they want.

Phase 1 of the Council's review is underway. We want to hear from as many people as possible to find out how they are using the library service.

You can complete the questionnaire onlineOpens new window.

Tara Martel

Oct 24, 2015, 8:11:57 AM10/24/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Done!

Stuart Ward

Oct 25, 2015, 4:37:40 PM10/25/15
to Reading Hackspace
Also done, Told them to save money by stop buying books.

-- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143