Rlab Reprap 3d printer faulty?

Mark Robson

Sep 12, 2017, 9:18:18 AM9/12/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I used the Reprap yesterday and it was working ok, today it does nothing at all.

I've got the Pi connected, Octoprint is running but it won't detect the 3d printer. I think the PSU isnt' putting out enough volts. The electronics doesn't even start up, the green light only lights when backfed power from the usb port.

I don't know what I did to break it, it seemed fine yesterday and I printed a few simple objects.

Mark

Alex Gibson

Sep 12, 2017, 10:00:21 AM9/12/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Try without the Pi, connect directly to laptop and use Pronterface.

That was perfect 2 days ago.

I am going to redo the Pi/Octoprint in a more robust way.

Mark Robson

Sep 12, 2017, 10:05:54 AM9/12/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
It was genuinely bust.

The Pi is not a problem. I turned it off, waited, and turned it on again. The PSU now powered up, it's looking fine.

I think it's an intermittent fault, or it's caused by incorrect sequencing - does the Reprap need to be turned on FIRST without the usb connected?

Maybe some kind of intermittent short.

The PSU was making a sort of popping noise, and showing a low voltage on the output.

Mark

Alex Gibson

Sep 12, 2017, 10:33:56 AM9/12/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

OK – I will check out the PSU and give the printer a once over.

David Price

Sep 13, 2017, 8:49:16 AM9/13/17
to Reading Hackspace
If the power is cut to the Pi before it has fully shut down then it can get in a bit of a strop, take a long time to start and recognise the arduino connection and sometimes need a complete re-install.

If found that I get consistent service from Octopi if I tell it to shut down then leave it for 5 minutes before cutting power.
David

On Tuesday, 12 September 2017 15:05:54 UTC+1, Mark Robson wrote:
It was genuinely bust.

The Pi is not a problem. I turned it off, waited, and turned it on again. The PSU now powered up, it's looking fine.

I think it's an intermittent fault, or it's caused by incorrect sequencing - does the Reprap need to be turned on FIRST without the usb connected?

Maybe some kind of intermittent short.

The PSU was making a sort of popping noise, and showing a low voltage on the output.

Mark
On 12 September 2017 at 14:59, Alex Gibson <al...@alexgibson.net> wrote:

Try without the Pi, connect directly to laptop and use Pronterface.

That was perfect 2 days ago.

I am going to redo the Pi/Octoprint in a more robust way.

Mark Robson

Sep 13, 2017, 9:31:01 AM9/13/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
The problem I had, was:

* The green LED on the reprap board was lit only dimly (usb plugged in), or not at all (usb out)
* A popping noise from the PSU
* No connection from Octoprint (it detected the serial port etc, ok, but no response)
* I measured the voltage between pins that I guess should have had 12v, and measured only about 2v.

My best guess is that there was some intermittent short circuit causing the psu to cut out. But there wasn't any smoke coming out of anything!

The probably didn't seem to be Octopi or the Pi in general. After some messing around and leaving it unpowered for a few minutes, I turned the Reprap back on, and the green light was lit, and all worked again.

So it seems an intermittent power issue.

The PSU makes quite a lot of little weird noises during operation, I suppose this is normal for this model, as it seems to depend on the load (e.g. if heaters or motors are on).

Mark

Andrew Jacobs

Sep 13, 2017, 9:39:16 AM9/13/17
to Reading Hackspace
If its fault the someone needs to order a replacement PSU and claim the cost on expenses -- I need some paperwork like a receipt or invoice.

Sounds like a meatier one might be better.

Alex Gibson

Sep 13, 2017, 10:35:34 AM9/13/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Based on this, and some similar things happening some months ago that started and stopped spontaneously, I am certain there is an intermittent fault in the PSU.

For safety’s sake, to err on the side of caution, and to prevent disappointment halfway through a print, I think even if it’s working right now we should stop using the 3D printer and unplug it for now.

I normally have spares of these PSUs but have used them all for the big 3D printer – they are not expensive so I will buy another right now and expense it to rLab.

I will also get myself replacements, as I need these in stock.

In parallel, I have accumulated a few of these PSUs that have died for different reasons, and are likely repairable.  I will have a repair session and open up this one at the same time, it may be possible to fix it – it’s normally a blown capacitor or dry solder joint.

Cheers

Alex

Alex Gibson

Sep 13, 2017, 12:59:58 PM9/13/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

On it Andrew.

It’s more than meaty enough, we just need to spend on a genuine MeanWell from a decent supplier rather than get the cheapest clone on eBay…

Cheers

Alex

Alex Gibson

Sep 18, 2017, 3:42:42 PM9/18/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andrew

New PSU is ordered, will be here this week.

Doesn’t need to be in any way meatier.  The last one was pretty old…

If its fault the someone needs to order a replacement PSU and claim the cost on expenses -- I need some paperwork like a receipt or invoice.

Sounds like a meatier one might be better.

Alex Gibson

Sep 21, 2017, 5:58:09 AM9/21/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

New PSU has arrived, I will make the swap as soon  as possible.

It’s a no-brand generic unit, but arrived well packaged and purely looking at the casing it appears decently put together.

Once swapped I will take a look inside the old one, as it has remained intermittently functional, it could potentially be repaired.