Normal font text > laser etching single line text

Tony Short

Dec 8, 2016, 5:47:46 PM12/8/16
to Reading Hackspace

I've been working on the tool chain to do etched text using the laser. This is much faster than 'scan mode' text etching. There are monoline fonts, but they are not understood by most operating systems, which force them to being closed shapes.

The attached image shows a line of text that was quickly converted from typed text to a single line DXF. The smallest line is only 1.5mm tall and still legible. The diagram shows the difference between font outlines (which are always closed shapes) vs the converted monoline text.

Unfortunately the technique currently needs a tool in Adobe Illustrator, but should anyone require some small text for a cutting project (in a range of fonts) please let me know!

jes...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2016, 8:41:53 PM12/8/16
to Reading Hackspace
Tony, that's absolutely amazing stuff!   So tiny, yet perfectly legible!

Martin Raynsford

Dec 9, 2016, 2:41:12 AM12/9/16
to Reading Hackspace
IT's called Hershey text, I use it for all of my laser project because it's so much faster than engraving
Inkscape has a built in generator now but here is a useful article about it
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2011/hershey-text-an-inkscape-extension-for-engraving-fonts/

Tony Short

Dec 9, 2016, 3:34:37 AM12/9/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
You are right! Hershey typefaces are a particular set of styles developed for engraving. They are low resolution, and limited in styles. If you use Inkscape they are definitely an option for quick and dirty text.

My technique can quickly convert complex typographic layouts, in a wide range of typefaces (including icon fonts) into an engraveable design.

As the saying goes, "Horses for courses!"

Martin Raynsford

Dec 9, 2016, 4:26:45 PM12/9/16
to Reading Hackspace
That's cool then, didn't realise it was converting like that, please keep Just Add Sharks in the loop and we'll feature it when it's ready for release.
I have an interesting in turning a pencil drawing of a square into a single square cut out, sounds like it might be useful for that kind of thing?