West Berkshire needs you!

Gemma Taylor

Jul 23, 2015, 3:39:55 AM7/23/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for hosting our visit on Wednesday, it was an exciting and stimulating evening and has given us a lots ideas that we would like to explore.

I am interested in finding out whether if anyone would be interested in running any workshops for West Berkshire Council Libraries in our LibFest 2016.

We don't have the expertise so I am reaching out to you to help with ideas and what would be practical to run in a library.

I have sourced some ideas e.g. solder a zoo badge, 3D printing, using your raspberry pi to do all sorts of things or using your phone to create your own app.

The idea of a raspberry jam sounds good too, we have looked and it doesn't look like there are any hosted around here.

Hope you can help.

Gemma

Gemma Taylor

Libraries Volunteer Co-Ordinator

1st Floor, Council Offices

Market Street, Newbury RG14 5LD

Telephone: (external) 01635 519533 (internal) 2533

Mobile: 07824821401

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed may not necessarily represent those of West Berkshire Council.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this e-mail in error.

All communication sent to or from West Berkshire Council may be subject to recording and or monitoring in accordance with UK legislation, are subject to the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and may therefore be disclosed to a third party on request.

Marc Brevoort

Jul 23, 2015, 10:34:23 AM7/23/15
to Reading Hackspace, GTa...@westberks.gov.uk
On Thursday, 23 July 2015 08:39:55 UTC+1, Gemma Taylor wrote:

The idea of a raspberry jam sounds good too, we have looked and it doesn't look like there are any hosted around here.

There is a non-active facebook group "Reading raspberry jam". I've previously contacted the moderator but there wasn't enough traction at the time to make it grow into a periodic event, so it died off. I think that rLab is big enough by now to provide the required traction and make it work. Perhaps we should take over the facebook group?

Best,
Marc

daprigoo

Jul 23, 2015, 11:13:33 AM7/23/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I was the one attempting to organise the Reading Jam two years ago, the Facebook was set up by a colleague. The problem was the lack of suitable space, both Reading University and Network Rail offered suitable premises then withdrew the offers. I approached other public spaces but they were not happy with the electrical aspects, demanded everything was PAT tested and certified and that we carry all the insurance liability. A requirement of the branded Jam was to not charge anything which would have meant raising money to cover insurance as well as time which basically killed the activity.

rlab itself is physically too small, we have a major car parking problem, and considering a Jam is supposed to encourage youngsters it would need making safe every time a session was held.

Personally I think the branded Jam is far too restrictive, a more general microcontroller/ programming/ STEAM/ hacking session would be more flexible, but then you are approaching a mini-maker faire type event for Berkshire/Thames Valley, not a bad thing at all but needing lots of organisation.

David

Avast logo

Alex Gibson

Jul 23, 2015, 2:29:21 PM7/23/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com, GTa...@westberks.gov.uk

Hi Gemma

I help to run Oxfordshire Raspberry Jam. (e.g. http://raspberryjam.org.uk/oxford/show-and-tells/show-and-tell-may-2014/)

This has been rather inactive for the past year, because many protagonists have been heavily into big projects, but has had some great demonstrations and an active community, and is being rebooted now, we’re planning our first meeting of 2015 (!).  We have meeting space in Oxford via partners at RS components, and I had a productive meeting at Banbury & Bicester college, who are keen to join in the Pi action.  I’ve also discussed with GROW Lab at Green Park via Mike Beardmore the potential for things to happen there.

If you would like to meet at some point, perhaps with others interested in getting a Reading Jam going, I’d be happy to advise and participate.

Kind regards,

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

Malcolm Napier

Jul 24, 2015, 6:34:36 PM7/24/15
to Reading Hackspace
Hi Gemma,

I was not at the Hackspace when you visited - so am missing some of the background/context to your question.

When you say,

"I have sourced some ideas e.g. solder a zoo badge, 3D printing, using your raspberry pi to do all sorts of things or using your phone to create your own app."

do you mean that you already have activities and workshop presenters for all of those areas? Or are you seeking assistance in all those areas?

Regards,
Malcolm

Gemma Taylor

Jul 28, 2015, 4:30:13 AM7/28/15
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the reply.

No, we haven’t sourced anything yet maybe the wrong word.

I have researched and seen the ideas but have need the help with people delivering the workshops.

Gemma Taylor

Gemma Taylor