Project - To Make a 3D Lily for exhibition at Reading Museum - deadline Oct 3 2017

Celia Hemken

Sep 21, 2017, 6:19:01 AM9/21/17
to Reading Hackspace

The materials can be anything. I've thought of it as a construction - a mini sculpture - a model. It's only 2 weeks to make it in but with laser printing/3D printing/metal/leather or who knows what you'll think of, it can be done!!! If you like you can be photographed with what you've made which would be part of a promotional display in Hazlams on Friar Street. What interested me was the design with the basic construct of a flower as a starting point.

100 Flowers for Oscar Wilde

A collaborative celebration, by the makers of Reading, of the great stories and plays of Oscar Wilde. A tribute to the man and his writing.

Oscar Wilde, spinner of exotic tales, observer of social nuance, lover of flamboyant costume and determined believer in Beauty and Art for Art’s Sake, is associated with a number of flowers. His signature flowers were the sunflower, the rose, the lily and then later in life, the green-dyed carnation.

The invitation

We invite you to make a very personal tribute to Oscar Wilde by making a single ‘lily’ in whatever materials you like and in particular in response to his vivid writings (his children’s stories are particularly rich and his sayings are legendary).

We have chosen the lily because it is an easily recognisable 3-D form. how you play with it is entirely up to you. Some people are talking about using textile techniques, others PVA and collage, others incorporating tiny found objects. I (Elaine) might try layering fine down onto plastic petals with nightingale tears for stamen (ref. The Nightingale and the Rose by Wilde). The possibilities are endless and the whole point is to have fun!

The Tribute

The ‘lilies’ will be made into a beautiful, large, ‘floral tribute’ by a florist for display in the museum or other town centre location.

The Challenge

The challenge is to work as creatively as you can within a few essential restrictions. We hope these will allow you a good degree of freedom and at the same time make sure that the whole ‘flower’ arrangement comes together as an elegant and harmonious whole – an appropriate tribute to a great Aesthete.

  1. Flower’ – an individual ‘flower’ based on a lily form – 6 curving petals, strong stamen and stigma (see popular white version on sale from the market to M&S).

  2. Size – to be about life-size.

  3. Palette – white, black, cream, green and gold (maybe a tiny flash of a different colour if essential to your vision).

  4. Stem – the single bloom to have a ‘stem’ pencil thick (6mm) and between 25 and 30cm long for ease of arranging.

  5. Label – no more than 7cm x 3cm attached to the stem – to identify the maker and possibly with a message (to be decided).

The Timing

Flowers need to be complete by Oct 3 2017

Andy Noyes

Sep 21, 2017, 7:57:56 AM9/21/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hmm... maybe I could dust this off.

Where does the post below come from?

Celia Hemken

Sep 21, 2017, 8:16:47 AM9/21/17
to Reading Hackspace
Your flower looks great - all it would have to do is meet the guidelines under The Challenge section in my post. I'm Celia Hemken. I'm an artist and member of Hackspace. I'm in the project because I got to know someone who is in it. It seems most of the makers are from The Reading Guild Of Artists, The White Knights Arts Trail, Jelly and various other independent artists who I don't know. I'm not a member of any of these groups. I'm an in independent artist. Because I love the way art and technology meet I thought it would be interesting to open up the project since they are needing more people to reach 100 makers. My approach to making a flower has been to deconstruct it - more like a map of a flower in space than a cone shape.

Celia Hemken

Sep 21, 2017, 9:00:11 AM9/21/17
to Reading Hackspace
Describing my own flower is just an example of an interpretation within what they've asked for. I'd love a robot flower to be part of it Andy

mikethebee

Sep 28, 2017, 7:02:39 AM9/28/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hello Celia,

Just spotted the post, a little late perhaps for a Things Network "Lily", but I am thinking of taking advantage of Tara's sewing workshop and see if I can make an rLab Leather Lily this weekend. How do I get it delivered to you if I am successful?

Thx -Mike

Celia Hemken

Sep 28, 2017, 7:10:36 AM9/28/17
to Reading Hackspace
This is great Mike. Friend me on FB - just search for Celia Hemken and I'll come up - and I'll add you to the 100 Flowers closed group and then you can check out the info files on there for more details. Just so you know you bring the flower on Oct 3 - I need to remind myself where - and you can get your photo taken with it - you don't need to do that...so just friend me on FB....great to have you and anyone else you can think of that can get it done by Tuesday....

Celia Hemken

Sep 28, 2017, 7:17:47 AM9/28/17
to Reading Hackspace
If you don't have a FB page just email me...and I'll send you the info and post you are in the group on the page...

Tony Short

Sep 30, 2017, 6:18:57 PM9/30/17
to Reading Hackspace

I've designed and printed a 3D lily (this is just a render of the model) in Fusion 360.

Not on Facebook myself, so if there are instructions on where and when to drop it off, please let me know.

If I'm feeling extra creative I will see if I can knock out a laser cut one as well.

Celia Hemken

Oct 1, 2017, 6:12:48 AM10/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
Oh hello Tony - that's wonderful. 3D -  great addition to the project. Can you get my email and email e? I'll send you the info files. You have to drop lilies off at Reading Museum. I need to also add you to the group so they are expecting you.

Celia Hemken

Oct 1, 2017, 6:26:33 AM10/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
if you can't find my email I think you can just message me on FB...I'm easy to find...Celia Hemken

Celia Hemken

Oct 1, 2017, 8:36:31 AM10/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
or Mike Beardsworth has my email...and the info...

Tony Short

Oct 1, 2017, 8:41:56 AM10/1/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 11:12:48 AM UTC+1, Celia Hemken wrote:

Oh hello Tony - that's wonderful. 3D -  great addition to the project. Can you get my email and email e? I'll send you the info files. You have to drop lilies off at Reading Museum. I need to also add you to the group so they are expecting you.

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 11:18:57 PM UTC+1, Tony Short wrote:

Image removed by sender.

[...]

image001.jpg

Alex Gibson

Oct 1, 2017, 9:10:26 AM10/1/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

With all these lilies you’re going to need a really big vase…

Alex

image001.jpg

mikethebee

Oct 1, 2017, 12:36:49 PM10/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
Ahahh, this is the Alex3d of the big vase, and famous for TCT show exhibitors competing to have a bigger vase!
I understand a professional florist will arrange the 'flowers' , and your 'vase' would be great. Hopefully Celia will make the contacts for this to happen.
-Mike

Celia Hemken

Oct 1, 2017, 12:47:07 PM10/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
is this THE Alex of 3D printing fame....

there's questions about whether all 100 Lilies (I'm not sure if there's going to be that many...) will be seen well enough if too crammed...
Not sure what TCT is about...
The stems of the lilies are 25-30 cm so there are questions about how the 'bouquet' designed by the florist will be displayed - a vase hasn't been mentioned so far but that doesn't mean there couldn't be one...- individual flowers hanging from the ceiling was one idea...but the final choice in the hands of the florist...

what sort of vases you got Alex? What if it was a strange shape - sort of elongated or something so that the flowers could be in rows...or something...

do you want me to suggest your ideas to the organisers Alex?

Tony Short

Oct 1, 2017, 1:13:59 PM10/1/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Should I mention that I was a RHS county floral arrangement winner at aged 15?

If you need a display solution I'm sure rLab has the ideas and tools required!

Celia Hemken

Oct 1, 2017, 1:17:13 PM10/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
You should....and I will be sure to mention rLab...that's a great idea...

Alex Gibson

Oct 1, 2017, 1:27:29 PM10/1/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Celia

The same…  I have been churning out a number of vases in testing my big 3D printer, before it gets down to the serious business of printing bus parts.

Tony kindly took a photo of my stand at TCT (3d printing trade show) – one example vase is to the left…

https://twitter.com/tone001/status/912724013520220162

If it’s useful I would be pleased to enter it as part of an rLab submission.  In theory I could print an alternative design, but check with me later next week for a realistic lead time!

Cheers

Alex

Celia Hemken

Oct 1, 2017, 1:42:36 PM10/1/17
to Reading Hackspace
I've just put a post with this photo, Alex, on the 100 Flowers closed group FB page suggesting Hackspace could get involved with the florist who is designing the display with construction/receptacle ideas....I'll keep you all posted with the response..
Celia

mikethebee

Oct 2, 2017, 9:49:49 AM10/2/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hello Tony,  Alex, Tara, Andy.
Hopefully you are in touch with Celia via whatever method (eg. email, FB) and have the info that lililes are to be delivered to Reading Museum between 1030-1230 tomorrow (Tues 3rd Oct) They should be boxed and marked with your name. A completed copy of the Artist submission form should be included.

I will be taking my two along tomorrow morning, If others want me to deliver theirs then I can call at rLab enoute at about 10am. Let me know you want me to do this, and where they are placed for collection.
-Mike

Tony Short

Oct 2, 2017, 12:00:34 PM10/2/17
to Reading Hackspace

Here is my finished 3D print.

Celia Hemken

Oct 2, 2017, 3:07:34 PM10/2/17
to Reading Hackspace
Great - it just needs a stem - 25-30 cm long and you're good to go. Label it, box it up and bring it tomorrow to Reading Museum with your filled out Artists Info Form or Mike says he can pop by tomorrow to Hackspace to pick it up and your form. You got all the info I sent you I hope Tony.
Might see you tomorrow.

Tony Short

Oct 2, 2017, 4:16:29 PM10/2/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Already done ... I will pop in towards the end of that window as I'm not a morning person!

mikethebee

Oct 2, 2017, 5:24:04 PM10/2/17
to Reading Hackspace

Here are pics of my two submissions

Celia Hemken

Oct 4, 2017, 5:29:13 AM10/4/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Great Mike - it was fun making these lilies wasn’t it…be fun seeing what the florist does with this great diversity…

Celia
On 2 Oct 2017, at 22:24, mikethebee <miketh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here are pics of my two submissions

mikethebee

Oct 5, 2017, 10:44:03 AM10/5/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hello Celia,

Yes, a time challenge, but fun, the one on the left is lasercut acrylic designed in RDWorks and post processed with the rework hot air wand. The other is black leather petals with a hint of paint, and tan leather stamens, sewn on Taras Patcher machine after the workshop Tara ran for me. The leather is upcycled for an old sofa. The stem is bamboo from our garden.

There were some fantastic arty ones, one with litle fairy stamens, if I saw it correctly.

Sorry I didn't catch you at the museum, it was manic when I dropped mine off, with lillies everywhere and pics being snapped. Suzanne was doing a great job. You should get credit for inspiring the Maker ones that will help boost the size of the display.

When will the Haslams display be in place do you know?

Thanks - Mike

On Wednesday, 4 October 2017 10:29:13 UTC+1, Celia Hemken wrote:
Great Mike - it was fun making these lilies wasn’t it…be fun seeing what the florist does with this great diversity…

Celia
On 2 Oct 2017, at 22:24, mikethebee

mikethebee

Oct 18, 2017, 6:28:09 AM10/18/17
to Reading Hackspace

The Lilies are now on display in Haslams window in Friar Street. Here is Tony on the big screen and an inset of his Lily and my two either side of an artists one. It is a great display and if you look closely at the flowers you may spot some surprising memes.

You can also listen to the feature with Debbie McGee on last Sundays Radio Berks show at about 40mins on iPlayer. (signin needed, limited availability)

There was a lot of interest at the launch on Monday and Reading Hackspace got several mentions.

Celia Hemken

Oct 18, 2017, 10:01:19 AM10/18/17
to Reading Hackspace
It was a great evening and fantastic to see it all come together....to see Hackspace represented there was so satisfying along with other artists/graphic designers I've  found in Reading from all sorts of cultures and backgrounds who might not have been part of it. All part of my campaign to break down the definition of what art/technology/design is. Yes!!

mikethebee

Oct 20, 2017, 8:25:38 AM10/20/17
to Reading Hackspace
Thank you for thinking of members when you first posted the event. You have made a great milestone in your campaign and, for one, I look forward to future opportunities -Mike