3D Scanner

Old Raft

Jul 7, 2016, 9:45:12 AM7/7/16
to Reading Hackspace
I have seen a number of previous posts on 3D scanning, was the end result a scanner?

I want to scan a 1 1/4" drill bit that I have so that I can input the curved shape of the tip, the full face of the tip that is not just the cutting edge, into Fusion 360 so that I can then 3D print a cam to use in a jig for sharpening large drill bits.

Yes I know experts can sharpen by hand :-)  but 99.9% of hand sharpened bits have one cutting edge at a different angle than the other (etc.) and therefore only cut on one edge.

mikethebee

Jul 13, 2016, 3:12:28 PM7/13/16
to Reading Hackspace, al...@alexgibson.net
Alex did build the open source one from the kickstarter, it would do your size of item. Alex is selling the electronic bits as a kit so you can 3D print yourself the rest of the scanner. GROW also have a hand-held scanner that may be suitable. I copy Alex so he can fill it the details. - Mike.

Eric Rowen

Jul 14, 2016, 2:06:38 AM7/14/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com, Alex Gibson
Thanks...

Alex Gibson

Jul 14, 2016, 2:27:54 AM7/14/16
to Eric Rowen, reading-...@googlegroups.com

What Mike said…

I am very happy to help you get a BQ Horus scanner made, or if you’d like to visit GROW we can try scanning with a professional handheld scanner.

I feel that it’s likely that for a small and dimensionally critical part, it will be easier to model in CAD what the tip should be than to get a sufficiently accurate scan…

If you’re not keen to start from scratch, there are libraries for OpenSCAD to generate threads etc.  And the US retailer McMaster-Carr has huge libraries of 3D models of the hardware they sell, if it can be found there…

Cheers

Alex

No virus found in this message.

mikethebee

Jul 21, 2016, 9:45:44 AM7/21/16
to Reading Hackspace
Hello Eric.

I thought it would be helpful to add the links to the things Alex mentioned. I will also post onto the wiki under SIG:Design http://rlab.org.uk/wiki/Design

The scanner is Spanish, google can translate, but the pics are in English :) https://www.bq.com/es/ciclop

OpenSCAD is an opensource CAD package (openscad.org) well suited to engineering modelling, with a wide range of library code donated in many places including thingiverse.com

I hadn't heard of McMaster-Carr, but it is a good find. It has pictures of lots of tools and things that you may need to put a name to. It is also has some technical drawings and 3D models as Alex mentioned, a little tricky to find, but I got this link http://www.mcmaster.com/mv1468774622/mcm/openhelp.asp?browserOK=true&sesnextrep=403321369123957&helpContext=drawingsandmodels

-MtB

Ryan .

Jul 26, 2016, 7:29:59 AM7/26/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
So, while we're doing a linkdump, I've had another look for alternatives to David SLS for 'open source' (read, free) SLS 3D scanning. It still seems the closest thing to useful for me, although I'm still not holding out much hope.

Updated in 2015, includes source code, mac and windows binaries, one projector and one webcam (directshow?)

Updated july 11th, no installation instructions, seems to be windows only, depends on openCV and Canon cameras,

Targetted to real-time stuff. Not ideal for mechanical parts

Old, think I've tried it before, sucked then?

Seems the common hardware requirements are a projector, camera, computer that can see them both and run windows, calibration patterns and some time.

Anyone up for helping me gather some hardware, build a rig and evaluate the different software available?

Anyone have any comments on the software above?

Anyone have a projector and a webcam and a canon SLR laying around that could be tested?

Lonn Brown

Jul 26, 2016, 9:25:55 AM7/26/16
to Reading Hackspace
I have a webcam and a canon DSLR that I think it'd be cool to test with, one minor caveat is that I wouldn't be comfortable leaving the camera anywhere. Also no projector :P

Ryan .

Jul 26, 2016, 9:32:25 AM7/26/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

That's cool! Thanks Lonn! What about the (my) projector on the ceiling? Does anyone use this? Can I take it down and do this cool stuff with it instead of it collecting dust up there? :)

Nigel Worsley

Jul 26, 2016, 9:34:23 AM7/26/16
to reading-hackspace
> Anyone have a projector and a webcam and a canon SLR laying around that
> could be tested?

I have all of these, but note that the software rquires "At least 2
Canon EOS cameras" - I only have one. But I do have several
projectors.

Could we try this at EMF camp?

Nigle

Alex Gibson

Jul 26, 2016, 11:25:20 AM7/26/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ryan,

I have all the bits you need including projector(s) and canon DSLRs, Xbox One Kinect, bearings, and a sensible project I already started which you are very welcome to help me finish – I simply don’t have enough time in the day at the moment...

Would you like to pop over to GROW tomorrow afternoon?

Cheers

Alex

Jul 26, 2016, 11:38:22 AM7/26/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Wish I could but I'll be at work til 5! Is the kit there? What time is it open til?

Lonn Brown

Jul 26, 2016, 11:40:10 AM7/26/16
to Reading Hackspace
:) Let me know when you're thinking - not sure when EMF camp is?

Ryan .

Jul 26, 2016, 11:59:36 AM7/26/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not planning on going to EMF camp this year, but we could have a session at the space?

If it's useful, I'd like to leave any kit at the space as a tool, depending on how big it is. (I'm sure some space could be cleared out of the cupboard upstairs if this thing works no?)

daprigoo

Jul 26, 2016, 12:19:58 PM7/26/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Have you tried Kinect scanning?

Ryan .

Jul 26, 2016, 12:23:44 PM7/26/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Not yet, I would have thought I the focal length was set up for bigger things than I want to scan (think motorcycle seat, car dashboard, complex contous under 1 m on any side)

I'm up for getting all the kit together and having a play tho!

Alex Gibson

Jul 26, 2016, 12:46:56 PM7/26/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Focal length is fixable.  Reading glasses!!

What time tmw evening could you drop by?  Assume you’re going to rlab?

Jul 26, 2016, 12:57:21 PM7/26/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

It's often used for scanning heads with a 1mx1mx1m bounding box. The kinect v1 can be got quite cheaply, the problem is having competent software and a beefy pc to handle the scanning real time and deal with the humungous number of triangles - I use an i7 with a discrete Nvidia card (gtx 960m) and that can struggle.

Some images from a workflow starting from a scan captured via Kinect v1 and Skanect;