Detecting switch from hot to cold

David Dawson

Dec 3, 2015, 5:45:23 AM12/3/15
to reactor-...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

so, we've been building some interesting things, partially based on reactor. One thing we've got to handle is the ability to play a set of cold data, then switch dyamically to hot data when the cold data is fully consumed. This presents some potential threading issues, but is handled.

The next question is if there is any way to inform a downstream subscriber that the switch has occurred. We've used the reactive streams apis for most touch points, but they obviously weren't built to handle this.

I haven't seen anything in reactor we could use to push that information down a pipeline as yet, but I'm wondering if I've missed something

If you type the pipeline, then pushing in a message to indicate this has happened is a non starter, and is a little uncomfortable (as you in effect mutate the immutable stream)

Any ideas?

--

David Dawson | CEO | Simplicity Itself

http://www.simplicityitself.com

Stephane Maldini

Dec 3, 2015, 9:41:05 AM12/3/15
to David Dawson, reactor-framework
I wonder if this just a matter of Streams.concat(cold, hot) then, which version you're on btw ?

Stephane Maldini | Reactor Project Lead, Spring Engineering | London | Pivotal

david....@simplicityitself.com

Dec 3, 2015, 9:59:53 AM12/3/15
to Stephane Maldini, reactor-framework
Does the generated stream have som‎e hook that you can get a notification that the upstream streams have switched?

--
David Dawson
CEO

Simplicity Itself Ltd