Re: feedback

David Barbour

Oct 9, 2013, 3:29:45 PM10/9/13
to Kartik Agaram, reactiv...@googlegroups.com
Huh. Must be that 'curse of knowledge'. It sure seems simple in hindsight! I'll be careful about that word in the future, though. :)

The sections following the opening describe how user action can be modeled as a program (i.e. user-action is an act of programming). The section titled 'environment is also a live program' shifts to the next level - i.e. user action is not only an act of programming, but an act that manipulates another program: therefore, an act of meta-programming.

Does that help clarify the connection?

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Kartik Agaram <akka...@gmail.com> wrote:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/reactive-demand/gazxhLLXscQ
(via http://akkartik.name/blog/wart-layers#comment-1075958088)

Thanks for the pointer! I'm still trying to digest this manifesto (I
somehow missed it until now), but I had to comment on this:

> The idea is simply this: every user action is an act of meta-programming.

Holy moly, there is *nothing* simple about this sentence. I've read it
several times and I still don't get how it connects with the next
paragraph, or the rest as far as I've read.

May I suggest throwing out the word 'simple' from your writing? :)
It's a needlessly cruelty to those of us who aren't smart enough to
follow along (and there'll always be some of us).