Not clear what "Do not use search for catalog matching" means

Aaron Cruz

Oct 5, 2015, 11:48:15 AM10/5/15
to Rdio API
Hi Team,
I was just looking at your API documentation for the search endpoint

There is a dangerous looking note there at the top telling me that I can't use this endpoint for "catalog matching" or I can get banned (that's how I'm reading it at least).
I don't understand exactly what this means.

My use case is that I need to match songs by name and artist to rdio records so I can get their IDs and play them out in my iOS app for oauth authorized rdio users.
This sounds an awful lot like catalog matching to me, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Questions:
1. Am I catalog matching?
2. If yes, is there an alternative way to do this?
3. If yes, should I worry about the warning? My app shouldn't be hitting the API very often, but I am sure I don't want to get banned.

Thanks for you time!
Cheers,
Aaron Cruz

Devin Sevilla

Oct 5, 2015, 1:48:10 PM10/5/15
to rdio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aaron!

Thanks for taking the time to email us. Catalog matching is automated
mapping of hundreds of tracks in bulk. If you need to match a few
tracks based on requests by the user, that's ok.

Hope that helps!

--
Devin Sevilla
API Team Manager, Rdio Inc.

Aaron Cruz

Oct 5, 2015, 1:51:02 PM10/5/15
to Rdio API
Thanks Devin, that helps a lot.

Out of curiosity, is there an endpoint for Catalog Matching?

Thanks Again,
Aaron

Devin Sevilla

Oct 5, 2015, 2:09:01 PM10/5/15
to rdio...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Aaron Cruz <pferde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, is there an endpoint for Catalog Matching?

We don't offer an API method for catalog matching. However we do have
an offline process we make available to partners. Those interesting
with partnering us should email partne...@rd.io.

-- Devin

Aaron Cruz

Oct 5, 2015, 2:09:59 PM10/5/15