iOS SDK 1.3.6: Unable to play more than 2 sources consecutively.

Yannick

Mar 18, 2014, 5:11:29 PM3/18/14
to rdio...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm currently working on an iOS app using the Rdio SDK version 1.3.6. I'm trying to play multiple tracks consecutively using the playSources: method. But the SDK never plays more than 2 songs, even though more are queued. Each individual track can be played, but when 5 tracks for instance are queued, only the first 2 are played.

In the console I'm seeing the following message, but I don't know whether it's related:
-[RDAPIRequest request:didLoadData:](342): Got NSNull for result, setting result to nil.

The issue also occurs with version 1.3.5 of the SDK. The user has not logged in.

Is this a limitation of the SDK when using it without a logged in user?

Yannick

R. Kevin Nelson

Mar 18, 2014, 5:22:29 PM3/18/14
to rdio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yannick,

This isn't a deliberate limitation.  Can you provide the track keys you're using, and what region you're testing in?  The NSNull error does seem related.  Are you getting a track streamability error at all?  (i.e., is `rdioPlayerCouldNotStreamTrack:` getting called?)

Thanks!
Kevin

-- -- --
R. Kevin Nelson
API Engineer @ Rdio, Inc.

Yannick Compernol

Mar 18, 2014, 5:49:19 PM3/18/14
to rdio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

These are 3 tracks: t1549176, t34668617, t1549144. If I enqueue them with playSources, only the first 2 are played. When I enqueue only the last 2, both are played just fine. Every time when I enqueue more than 2 tracks, only the first 2 are ever played.

I'm located in Belgium. I've tried using a wifi and cellular connection, I don't think it's related to a faulty network connection on my side.

The rdioPlayerCouldNotStreamTrack delegate method is not called.

Yannick

R. Kevin Nelson

Mar 18, 2014, 7:07:08 PM3/18/14
to rdio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yannick,

Ok.  I'm able to reproduce the issue here as well.  The good news is that the issue seems to be limited to 30 second samples.  Once I'm logged in and streaming full tracks, the player continues past the second track just fine.

The less good news is that I'm still trying to figure out what makes sense as a workaround.

We'll see what we can do about getting a fix for this into the next release.

Best regards,
Kevin

-- -- --
R. Kevin Nelson
API Engineer @ Rdio, Inc.

Yannick

Mar 23, 2014, 3:17:10 PM3/23/14
to rdio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

any progress on this issue? In a couple of days we'll be giving a demo of our proof of concept, any chance of a fix by then or should we start working on plan B? We're currently only playing 30 second samples, so for us this is a big issue.

Thanks,
Yannick

R. Kevin Nelson

Mar 24, 2014, 12:24:24 PM3/24/14
to rdio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yannick,

We haven't gotten to the bottom of the issue yet.  My recommendation would be to login to the Rdio mobile app, which will begin your free trial of Rdio Unlimited and allow you to stream full tracks for your demo.

If the core of your app relies on 30 second samples, you should be able to work around things by only queuing up one track at a time, and listening for RDPlayerDelegate methods to load play/queue-up the next track when the current track has finished.  In particular, the `rdioPlayerStateChangedFromState:toState:` method should help you out.

Best,
Kevin

-- -- --
R. Kevin Nelson