Frustrated with API

Jacob O'Donnell

Nov 24, 2014, 7:58:39 AM11/24/14
to rdio...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to integrate simple rdio features into emacs so while I'm coding I can quickly play a different song or queue up an album.  It is not nearly as easy as it could be.  First the applescript interface lacks the ability to play by anything other than track.  That means if I want to play an album I'll need to maintain my own list in emacs lisp, have a background process that checks the state of rdio to find when the song ends and then manually tell it to start the next song.  That feels like a lot more work than I should need to do but okay.

Next if I actually want to search I need to use oauth, which I find to be a terribly confusing interface.  Compare this to spotify where if I want to do a search I hit the url http://ws.spotify.com/search/1/track.json?q=talking and I'm done.

Also if I finally get through the oAuth hoops, I assume I am not meant to distribute my secret ouath keys for other emacs developers to use.

Devin Sevilla

Nov 24, 2014, 7:21:06 PM11/24/14
to rdio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jacob,

You can use AppleScript to play any source. In Rdio terms, a source
such as an album or playlist. For example, this command would play the
album with key "a1":

tell application "Rdio" to play source "a1"

We require you to use OAuth to search because we need to know who the
current user is and what region of the world they are from. You can
checkout our guide to handling regions[1] for more information.

Lastly, you're correct that it's not good practice to distribute OAuth
secrets. Users will need to register for their own OAuth credentials.
Not great user experience, but good for security.

Best

[1]: http://www.rdio.com/developers/docs/guides/regions/

--
Devin Sevilla