getNewReleases not sorted by playCount.

Andrew Spittal

Dec 9, 2014, 11:32:06 AM12/9/14
to rdio...@googlegroups.com
Hey I was curious is someone could shed some light on this issue I noticed with the API.

My 3 data points regarding a strange issue:

1. When I load up the 'this week' new releases on the actual RDIO page, there appears to be a loose sorting in regards to play count, which puts higher profile albums closer to the top of the list. This is great, as I've noticed there are literally thousands of releases a week, most of which are re-releases and other albums. Generally, the brand new albums that you would see at the music store on the shelves are listed.

2. When I invoke the same default call on the rdio API console, I get a similar sorting (although not exactly the same) as the new release page on the rdio site. Also great! http://rdioconsole.appspot.com/#time%3Dthisweek%26start%3D50%26method%3DgetNewReleases

3. Now, I'm invoking the exact same call that I use on the console via my app, and the results are ordered completely differently, and don't seem to have a favouritism sorting based on playCount.

I realize I may understand the algorithm for this sorting incorrect, but I would expect the console and the actual api would return similar sorting of these results. This is causing a bit of a headache for my app, could anyone shed any light on what I'm seeing here?