RDFLib development roadmap

Gunnar Aastrand Grimnes

Jan 20, 2017, 4:15:10 AM1/20/17
to rdfli...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

As you may have noticed from github notifications I've had a little
RDFLib sprint lately, and I hope to be able to release a 4.2.2 bug-fix
release soon!

This will be last 4.X release, and then we can focus on a 5.0, when we
can do some more major changes:

* Drop 2.6 support
* Drop support for some early 3.X versions, maybe only support
3.5/3.6? Thoughts?
* Delete a bunch of deprecated code.
* Merge in https://github.com/RDFLib/rdflib/tree/six_2to3 branch to
have native py3 support without 2to3.

There are also many other things we can consider:
* breaking up packages (again :) ) - I believe the python packaging
world is now better, and it should work much better.
(https://github.com/RDFLib/rdflib/issues/391)
* Streaming parsers: https://github.com/RDFLib/rdflib/issues/283
* and many more.

Given the usual activity level for RDFLib we should probably be
slightly restrained in our ambitions though, otherwise 5.0 is unlikely
to make it out before 2020 :D

For now, it's work on 4.2.2 though, I will try to deal with all the
issues/pull requests on the 4.2.2 milestone:

https://github.com/RDFLib/rdflib/milestone/7

If there is something you've been putting off getting around to fixing
for a while, NOW is the time!

If there are other issues you think are blocking for 4.2.2, please
comment and add them to the milestone.

Cheers,

- Gunnar

--