Paper models - free downloads

copperhead

Feb 29, 2008, 3:25:46 AM2/29/08
to R/C Tank Combat
I found this website that has a lot of paper models you can download
for free.

http://www.ebookee.com/

Search on "paper model"

The catch is that unless you subscribe, you are limited to 1 download
every 7 min.

Got some nice selections. Print them out and they make nice templates.

- Martin

Phil

Feb 29, 2008, 11:41:27 AM2/29/08
to R/C Tank Combat
Neat

Phil "Already daydreaming about next model" Palmer

Chrysanthos Kanellopoulos

Feb 29, 2008, 12:13:54 PM2/29/08
to rctank...@googlegroups.com
> Phil "Already daydreaming about next model" Palmer

It is a highly addictive hobby, indeed.
Chrys

> http://www.eset.com

Steve Hersey

Mar 4, 2008, 9:32:27 AM3/4/08
to R/C Tank Combat
Inspired by this thread, I've scoured the 'Net for paper models of the
Tiger II. So far, the ONLY one I've found is made by a Polish company,
Modelik. This appears to be widely available as a "free download," but
those seem to be pirated copies somebody's scanned from the original,
and that feels just a bit slimy to me, so I spent $15 on the original
from http://www.papermodelstore.com . I'm very glad I did; the results
are quite interesting.

This 1:25 model comes in a magazine-format booklet of decent size,
with extensive instructions in Polish. Only in Polish. Fortunately, a)
the illustrations are VERY well-done, so the text is not essential,
and b) one of my colleagues is fluent in Polish. That said, I have two
somewhat conflicting reactions to the "kit." Firstly, it is
exceedingly well done, and should make a very good basis for scaling
up to the scale we're interested in. It is also a wonderful source for
the scale details; hatches, fittings, shapes of odd bits, and the only
source I've seen that shows the suspension arms.

Secondly, this kit is plainly intended for an obsessive-compulsive
model builder with expert manual dexterity and no day job. It is SO
detailed that I will never assemble it (which is a bit of a shame, as
I'm sure it's flat-out awesome once built). As my colleague noted, it
probably takes longer to build the kit than it took to build the real
thing! A few examples: The roadwheels are profiled, not flat disks,
and have a dozen parts each. The suspension arms are 4 parts each. The
bow MG, about 3/4" long, is made with 6 parts, most of them 1 mm wide
or so. The tracks, Du lieber Gott, the tracks! The track at each end
of the tank, where it wraps around the drive sprocket and the idler
(each of which consists of 8-10 parts, beautifully detailed), is made
in individual 3-D track links articulated on tiny rolled-paper hinges!
Even the straight part of the track has individual raised tread bars
(a 1 mm square box 15 mm long) and guide horns (which mesh with the
slots in the roadwheels).

I highly recommend these kits as source material for scale tank
projects; the detail and quality are excellent, and the price is
eminently reasonable. Hmmm, scan the pages into a CAD file, scale them
up to 1:6, send the CAD files out to be water-jet cut out of sheet
steel, then braze it all together. Voila! Accurately scaled and
bulletproof!

-- Steve

copperhead

Mar 4, 2008, 11:49:43 AM3/4/08
to R/C Tank Combat
I didnt think this site was posting illegal copies.

Good point though about paying anyways.

I found it by looking for the ASU-85 (its a neat Soviet tank
destroyer).

I think I'll take the high road on this one and buy it from the
company that made it - the same one in fact that you got the Tiger 2
from ...

- Martin

On Mar 4, 9:32 am, Steve Hersey <n1...@arrl.net> wrote:
> Inspired by this thread, I've scoured the 'Net for paper models of the
> Tiger II. So far, the ONLY one I've found is made by a Polish company,
> Modelik. This appears to be widely available as a "free download," but
> those seem to be pirated copies somebody's scanned from the original,
> and that feels just a bit slimy to me, so I spent $15 on the original
> fromhttp://www.papermodelstore.com. I'm very glad I did; the results

Derek Engelhaupt

Mar 4, 2008, 3:51:22 PM3/4/08
to rctank...@googlegroups.com
My first tank attempt was an ASU-85, but I found that the unsupported
front axle set-up was a problem for my design. For that reason, I
abanonded it. Some of the wood was recycled into the Sturmtiger, and
the rest went to heat the house this winter....

Derek

Paul Hilton

Mar 6, 2008, 1:43:36 AM3/6/08
to rctank...@googlegroups.com
you could order direct from Modelik. Prices are in euros tho.

http://www.modelik.pl/index.php?lang=uk

Paul H.