OT: rain gear for warm weather backpacking

瀏覽次數:81 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

dstein

未讀,
2017年5月19日 下午4:30:542017/5/19
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
What do you folks use for backpacking in warm weather (low's lower 60's, high's mid to upper 80's)? I have two rain jackets: both are sauna's when it's warm out. Is a disposable poncho the best bet? I see some poncho's on REI, are they less sauna like then the rain jackets?

dstein

未讀,
2017年5月19日 下午4:32:242017/5/19
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
I should clarify, it's just for the possibility of scattered showers over a 3 day trip. Nothing crazy. Going east for the memorial day weekend in VA. Normally in CA I can assume it will not rain for the next several months.

Deacon Patrick

未讀,
2017年5月19日 下午4:40:102017/5/19
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
A cotton t-shirt and a huge grin because round here when it rains the temp drops to 40-50˚F. Rain at 60-80? Get me wet!

With abandon,
Patrick

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 1:30:54 PM UTC-7, dstein wrote:
What do you folks use for backpacking in warm weather (low's lower 60's, high's mid to upper 80's)?

Philip Kim

未讀,
2017年5月19日 下午4:44:202017/5/19
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
hey dave,

live in dc and grew up in VA. I've used THIS for summer rain and showers.

still can get a bit hot.

the best rain cycling jacket i've ever used is the POC rain jacket. very breathable, and cool but very expensive. sometimes can get too cool on brisk early spring / late fall mornings.

Lee Legrand

未讀,
2017年5月19日 下午4:49:432017/5/19
收件者:rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Naked while walking in the woods with a backpack.😂

Ron Mc

未讀,
2017年5月19日 下午5:03:192017/5/19
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Sierratradingpost is a good place to shop for shells.  I have a Marmot Gortex III superlight shell, packs small and will keep you dry in a monsoon.

Clayton.sf

未讀,
2017年5月19日 下午5:52:322017/5/19
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Umbrella! If you are hiking it is awesome. Good for sun too. GoLite is the standard.

Clayton Scott
SF, CA

Garth

未讀,
2017年5月19日 下午5:54:332017/5/19
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch

  Umbrellas are wonderful for warm weather walking in the rain.  A poncho is not going to be any better than your jackets.  If concerned over the lowest weight possible I'd suggest a Liteflex Hiking umbrella but any travel umbrella will do.

Deacon Patrick

未讀,
2017年5月19日 下午6:16:002017/5/19
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Just don't get the steel handled umbrella lest you be smokin' and your dinner cooked by mid-afternoon. Lightning rod! Sardonic grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Jim M.

未讀,
2017年5月19日 晚上7:09:452017/5/19
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 1:30:54 PM UTC-7, dstein wrote:
What do you folks use for backpacking in warm weather (low's lower 60's, high's mid to upper 80's)? I have two rain jackets: both are sauna's when it's warm out. Is a disposable poncho the best bet? I see some poncho's on REI, are they less sauna like then the rain jackets?

At those temps I forego rainwear for walking. A light wool shirt (Icebreaker, e.g.) and a hat are enough (well, pants too). If I'm going to stand around in the rain for a while, I'll pull out the rainwear (Marmot precip is what I got last time on a closeout deal).

jim m
wc, ca

Philip Kim

未讀,
2017年5月19日 晚上8:00:092017/5/19
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
David also if you're hiking the AT I would be prepared for it to be a bit colder than forecasted. The shenendoah can get colder at altitude and windy.

Backpacked last year in the middle of June when forecasted at 70 and sunny and ended up pouring rain and being very cold when we were up near The Priest. Had to cut the trip short cause we didn't pack a tarp nor any rain gear.

Deacon Patrick

未讀,
2017年5月19日 晚上8:04:342017/5/19
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Great point, Philip. A good rule of thumb in the mountains is: be prepared for 20˚F colder than predicted. That way, when it's 30˚F less, you at least have a chance. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

GAJett

未讀,
2017年5月19日 晚上9:04:342017/5/19
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
At those temperatures I would go with a water-RESISTANT shell that could be treated with something like Nikwax(tm). This over a poly or nylon hiking shirt. Nylon or poly convertible hiking pants on the bottom, no rain gear.

Didn't say if expecting rain overnight but light sleepwear or a change would let the rained-on clothes dry out. I know many like cotton, but nylon and poly will dry much more quickly.
Cheers!

Bill in Roswell GA

未讀,
2017年5月19日 晚上11:32:422017/5/19
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Phillip is spot-on about weather in the mountains. As I spend a lot of time in the southern Apps, I can also add that any big thunderstorm can drops temps 30 degrees in short order, even on the Piedmont.

The best waterproof, breathable rain jacket I've found has a full zipper on both side seams, making the jacket a poncho with sleeves. The Outdoor Research Foray is unique in that regard. It uses Goretex Paclite.

Putting Goretex down is a popular pastime among the outdoor crowd. I was one of them, until I took advantage of Gore's lifetime guarantee. My old Marmot Goretex jacket started to leak, despite following the washing instructions and retreating with water repellent. I filled a claim, sent Gore the 5 year old jacket and they replaced it. A very straight-forward process. No hassle.

On the less expensive side, the Patagonia, Marmot Precip, The North Face, REI and other similar jackets with pit-zips from $100-120 will get the job done for a few years, though without the massive ventilation of the OR Foray.

Of course, if you don't live where rain can lead to hypothermia, perhaps getting wet is a non-issue. To me, a quality rain jacket is worth the investment, especially if the manufacturer backs it up.

Oh, FWIW I've done several MS 150s and 100k/100mi rides in tropical storms with all day rain. However, in such events temps were in the upper 60s-low 70s. Not the same as downdraft storms that drop temps into the mid/low 50s in a matter of minutes.

I am a self-admitted weather junkie!

Cheers,
Bill in Roswell, GA

Bill in Roswell GA

未讀,
2017年5月19日 晚上11:39:512017/5/19
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Deacon, all I can say is most hypothermia victims encounter wet clothing in mid-50s temps, whether mountain hiking, off shore sailing, or sea kayaking. Encountered them all while on rescue teams. So easily avoidable, so stupid not to do so. Can be very tempting to let Darwin's Law take effect, for sure!

Cheers,
Bill in Roswell, GA

Bill in Roswell GA

未讀,
2017年5月19日 晚上11:48:312017/5/19
收件者:RBW Owners Bunch
Depends on the terrain one is hiking. The southern Apps have forest trails with low limbs, mountain laurel, prickly vines and plenty of other snags. Not to mention storm wind gusts of 50 mph or more (see Gatlinburg, May 5). Umbrellas work even better for blocking sun than they do for rain!

Cheers,
Bill in umbrella destroyed Roswell, GA
回覆所有人
回覆作者