Orange 58cm Rambouillets Is this a Mythical Beast?

Hugh Smitham

Mar 16, 2016, 1:02:08 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been a member since 2012 and not saying one hasn't popped up as I do go underground (as any good Dwarf is want to do) from time to time, but I've yet to see one of these creatures. I've seen 54's & 56's with some regularity but a 58cm? Maybe it's a good thing to keep the temptations away but I think I'd be hard pressed not to throw down for one. Anyways, any thoughts on this elusive Rivendell?

~Hugh "dreaming of popsicle orange sheep" Smitham

dougP

Mar 16, 2016, 1:41:18 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hugh:

I saw one just last weekend but I know it's not for sale.  Jim may know but it seems to me the Hilsen is quite similar, maybe better tire clearance & other details?  I know what you mean about the orange color.  It must have been an involved process to get that effect.

dougP

Hugh Smitham

Mar 16, 2016, 1:47:33 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well the Ram seems more roadish than even the Hilsen but can run up to 38's and a 58 would fit me even better than the Trek 660. See I'm trying to convince myself to bring another Riv back into the stable :)

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

dougP

Mar 16, 2016, 2:31:36 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
A worthy endeavor.  Enabling function enabled.  Radar set to "orange Ram".

dougP

Lungimsam

Mar 16, 2016, 3:02:39 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
If munny isn't an issue, mayhap an orange Roadeo would suffice?
10 years of extra frame life and you could dictate your braze-ons.

Lungimsam

Mar 16, 2016, 3:21:05 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I could get a Blue or Green 52 NIB right now from Alex Cycle if I had wife approval.
But dare I ask?

Sorry, they had no oranges or 58's of any kind.

Hugh Smitham

Mar 16, 2016, 3:40:39 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Are you saying you have a roadeo in my size? One that's ruff around the edges? To be clear I just want a frame & fork as I have the parts already. And yeah I checked Alexcycles unfortunately none in my size.

On Mar 16, 2016 12:03 PM, "Lungimsam" <john1...@gmail.com> wrote:
If munny isn't an issue, mayhap an orange Roadeo would suffice?
10 years of extra frame life and you could dictate your braze-ons.

Lungimsam

Mar 16, 2016, 3:45:59 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Hugh,

I mean't that you could get one from RBW.
The bonuses, compared to a used Ram, being that you could dictate your color and braze-ons.
Plus, it's a new bike and not 6-14 years old like any used Ram is at this point.

Hugh Smitham

Mar 16, 2016, 3:56:15 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Good point.

Bill Lindsay

Mar 16, 2016, 4:08:16 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Bummer Dude!" as the kids used to say.  :-)

Seriously though, since 58cm orange Ram's catch my eye and tempt me as much or more than just about anything, I will say that they seem to come up pretty often.  I can't name an exact date, but I distinctly recall being tempted by a 58cm orange ram on this board several times.  Probably less than 10 times, but maybe 5.  Like once a year?  Maybe I'm around too much..... :-\

Lungimsam

Mar 16, 2016, 4:39:11 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hugh,

Desperate times call for desperate measures:

1. Search all of craigslist here:
http://www.my-craigs-finder.com/index

2. Check flikr for orang Ram pics. Someone posted a 58? Contact them with a gentle and respectful email to see if they are interested in selling.

3. Look at the pics posted by owners in link below. 58? Contact owner. http://www.cyclofiend.com/rbw/rambouillet/

Lungimsam

Mar 16, 2016, 4:45:40 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
There is an orabge 58 with the owner's email posten under item 3 in the last post of mine. Maybe he'd sell. A friendly email will give you the answer.
http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2008/cc486-forrestmeyer0508.html

Hugh Smitham

Mar 16, 2016, 4:46:44 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Fortunately I'm not desperate.  If the stars line up and a 58 Ram pokes it's horns out on this list serve and I'm swift like an Elf in my messaging (beating Bill Lindsay) perhaps middle earth will see fit to add a popsicle orange Ram to my stable.

Lungimsam

Mar 16, 2016, 4:52:47 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Interesting that the head tube lugs differ among the oranges in the pics I've seen.

Lungimsam

Mar 16, 2016, 4:56:10 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill is too busy with his new Appaloosa to worry about no Orangouillets!

He'll probably be busy tweaking his fenders as you're sealing the deal!

Sam Wanless

Mar 16, 2016, 9:00:38 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

bo richardson

Mar 16, 2016, 9:36:54 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
you guys are amazing

Hugh Smitham

Mar 16, 2016, 9:45:07 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Amazing at codependancy :)

you guys are amazing

cyclotourist

Mar 16, 2016, 10:25:33 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Aren't you sorry you asked now! Hugh, that is perfect! Campy triple, Brooks, Nitto... wow!

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Mark in Beacon

Mar 16, 2016, 10:26:25 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Some nice parts on that, too. The Nitto lugged stem is cool, but it looks like a threadless?

cyclotourist

Mar 16, 2016, 10:28:04 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah, threadless on one of those adapters.

Hugh Smitham

Mar 16, 2016, 10:30:04 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Well I just need a F/F as I already have a Campy group for it. Its a beauty though.

cyclotourist

Mar 16, 2016, 10:31:18 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sell that off to help subsidize!

Pondero

Mar 16, 2016, 10:49:05 PM3/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I can picture Hugh riding that gorgeous Orange Ram...what a great image...and I really enjoy spending his money.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Hugh Smitham

Mar 17, 2016, 12:32:31 AM3/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Yeah packing parts and more trips to USPS not that tempting :^)

Hugh Smitham

Mar 17, 2016, 12:33:10 AM3/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Hey stay outta my wallet ;^)

James Warren

Mar 17, 2016, 9:39:35 AM3/17/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Ready for some evil, Hugh? As far as the bike shipping goes, I'm gonna be in Pleasanton in 3 weeks. If you were to buy this Ram, I could easily pick it up and drop it off to your house on my way home on Sunday April 10.

James Warren

- 700x33

Hugh Smitham

Mar 17, 2016, 12:35:09 PM3/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Jim,

Let me consider your offer and more importantly, I'll reach out to the CL poster as to whether they would consider selling just the F/F?

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Hugh Smitham

Mar 17, 2016, 1:11:46 PM3/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
You're right Mark it is a nice build with nice parts. The stem is threadless and a beaut.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 7:26 PM, 'Mark in Beacon' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

cyclot...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2016, 2:59:42 PM3/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jim's service is rated highly, not a scratch!

Hugh Smitham

Mar 17, 2016, 3:00:54 PM3/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have it on good authority it is so.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

James Warren

Mar 17, 2016, 4:03:16 PM3/17/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
But it's only good on Rivs of orange color in California! This one would make me 3 for 3 in that color. The other two:

Orange QB from Walnut Creek to Redlands
Orange Hillborne (my own that I sold to the buyer in San Luis Obispo)

Will Hugh add to this orange trend?

These bikes really class up the roof rack! (Truck-bed rack, actually)

cyclot...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2016, 4:59:26 PM3/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, jimcw...@earthlink.net
I think Hugh has to make this happen... too many planets aligning!

Hugh Smitham

Mar 17, 2016, 5:02:54 PM3/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, James Warren

Remember I have another pan in the fire.  And David there you go again spending my money for me. Fortunately,  you don't have my bank account # :^)

James Warren

Mar 17, 2016, 5:18:15 PM3/17/16
to Hugh Smitham, RBW Owners Bunch, James Warren

And anyway, skinny tires are so turn of the century.

cyclot...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2016, 5:35:53 PM3/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, jimcw...@earthlink.net
Lots of burners on that stove, might as well heat them all up!

Evan E.

Mar 18, 2016, 12:04:39 AM3/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Jay in Tel Aviv

Mar 18, 2016, 1:49:45 AM3/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was curious about the craigslist search so I looked and found this
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/5494438043.html
Good luck.

Hugh Smitham

Mar 18, 2016, 2:02:56 AM3/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yup. This one I have seen and a beauty too. I reached out and asked whether he was interested in selling just the F/F/HS but he wants to sell it as a complete, which I completely understand. At the moment I'm reluctant to buy as a whole and sell off the parts. It's a hassle. Thanks for the heads up.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Lungimsam

Mar 18, 2016, 2:16:51 AM3/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
But selling off the parts has the benefit of the opportunity for many rides to/from the post office!!

Hugh Smitham

Mar 18, 2016, 4:06:07 AM3/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
On the pro side of the ledger I'll keep that in mind over the weekend while I'm at the RSR in Redlands.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 11:16 PM, Lungimsam <john1...@gmail.com> wrote:
But selling off the parts has the benefit of the opportunity for many rides to/from the post office!!

Lungimsam

Mar 18, 2016, 11:11:15 AM3/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Maybe you could just order one from RBW like people can order Bombas and Legolii and Wilburys.

Hugh Smitham

Mar 18, 2016, 12:54:28 PM3/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's an interesting idea.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Lungimsam <john1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Maybe you could just order one from RBW like people can order Bombas and Legolii and Wilburys.

NickBull

Mar 18, 2016, 3:53:33 PM3/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Pretty sure my formerly-all-orange Ram is a 58.  The story behind the green stays: The drive-side rear dropout cracked a few years ago and when Bilenky brazed in a new one we had to decide how to repaint.  Bilenky didn't think they could do the orange, or at least not at a price I was willing to pay.  This is what we came up with.  A unique form of beausage!  I had vaguely been thinking about selling it before the drop-out cracked.  But I figured that the green spoils the market value so it was a decision between "do I want to hold onto this forever (and thus repaint)" or "try to sell a frame with a broken drop-out".  I decided I was fine with keeping it forever, mostly riding it as my fast commuter (20 miles round-trip and a thousand feet of climbing).  It's currently shod with Nokian Hakka 700x40 studded tires for winter use.

DSCN0036.jpg

mikel...@juno.com

Mar 18, 2016, 4:11:25 PM3/18/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
was white an option instead of green
Places You'll See
30 Stunning Pictures from the Newest, Biggest, Baddest Cruise Ship in the ...
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/56ec60e6580e760e65768st03duc

Lungimsam

Mar 18, 2016, 5:40:20 PM3/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Headtube matching cream.

Matt B.

Mar 18, 2016, 6:08:09 PM3/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wouldn't have been as cool as the green socks IMHO.

On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 5:40:20 PM UTC-4, Lungimsam wrote:
Headtube matching cream.

islaysteve

Mar 18, 2016, 6:27:16 PM3/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rambleriot! Seriously, I like it!
Steve

Lungimsam

Mar 18, 2016, 6:28:37 PM3/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah, I was looking at it again and looks like it coukd be Bleriot blue.

Mike Schiller

Mar 18, 2016, 8:21:50 PM3/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
ya know Hugh, not all Rams can  fit 38 mm tires. I had a green one that could only barely clear a 33 mm Jack brown in the front.  Back was fine.  It was a nice riding bike but tire limitations caused me to sell it off.   And them damn caliper brakes.  Canti's for like for me ( well except discs on MTB's)

~mike

Don Compton

Mar 18, 2016, 10:26:23 PM3/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great bike. Thanks for posting

James Warren

Mar 19, 2016, 3:31:01 AM3/19/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Orange one with the original lugs fits 33 mm Jack Browns no problem. I might try Barlow Pass's on my mine, but I haven't tried that yet. No need though, because I love how it rides with Jack Brown Greens.

On Mar 18, 2016, at 5:21 PM, 'Mike Schiller' via RBW Owners Bunch wrote:

ya know Hugh, not all Rams can  fit 38 mm tires. I had a green one that could only barely clear a 33 mm Jack brown in the front.  Back was fine.  It was a nice riding bike but tire limitations caused me to sell it off.   And them damn caliper brakes.  Canti's for like for me ( well except discs on MTB's)

~mike

Lungimsam

Mar 19, 2016, 9:39:49 AM3/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
With fenders?

NickBull

Mar 21, 2016, 2:49:43 PM3/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
If you are replying to my post of the orange ram with blue-green stays ...

We discussed matching the headtube cream color, but Bilenky recommended against it, I think because they said that it would tend to look dirty all the time and also cream is so muted a color it would kind of wash out visually.

So what they were matching was the green in the Rambouillet headtube badge.

FWIW, center of BB to top of top tube is a hair under 22.5" which is 57.2 cm.  So I don't know what that means--the Rambouillet geometry table has 56 and 58.  Maybe I'm not measuring quite right.  Or maybe the 58 is to the top of a virtual horizontal top tube, I think the Ram has a little bit of upslope.

Nick

Leslie

Mar 22, 2016, 2:44:17 PM3/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't think I could've handled that shade of green against the orange....

I had Bilenky replace the broken dropout on frame I got for my son, then I painted it to match the headtube;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/leslie_bright/23946265090/in/album-72157623199721925/