Autumn Gravel Ramble in Michigan

Marc Irwin

Aug 12, 2016, 3:38:48 PM8/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
     On October 8th, The Barry Roubaix will be holding the Fall Fondo.  It is not a race but a casual charity ride over the same course used for the spring competition.  Last year a few of us got together on another weekend and had a great time on the roads.  As charity rides go, it's pretty inexpensive and I thought I would invite a few Riv riders to join.  I will probably get a campsite in Yankee Springs for the weekend and will be glad to share if some are coming from out of town.  The ride starts in downtown Hastings and there's a good chance to see some spectacular foliage in the forests on the rides.

Marc

Conway Bennett

Aug 12, 2016, 6:58:53 PM8/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am very interested.

Marc Irwin

Aug 21, 2016, 9:57:54 AM8/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well 2 of us are that's a start.  I thought I would give this a bump to remind people it's out there.

Marc

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 6:58:53 PM UTC-4, Conway Bennett wrote:
I am very interested.

Daniel Jackson

Aug 21, 2016, 1:55:57 PM8/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Interested. You all planning on weekend of October 8th or some other earlier date?  62 mile course as an S24O?

Marc Irwin

Aug 22, 2016, 11:12:28 AM8/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
October 8 is the date of the Fall Fondo.  It's a charity ride in Hastings, Mi using the same gravel route as the Barry Roubaix spring time race.  It's a pretty laid back affair.  I am planning to get a campsite at nearby Yankee Springs for anybody traveling to make a weekend of it.  There is also a good single track course nearby to play on with some free time on Friday or Sunday.

Marc

Palmer

Aug 22, 2016, 11:45:19 AM8/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Marc,
Sounds like fun. Count me in for the ride but not camping. Are you planning on the 62 miler?
Tom Palmer
Twin Lake, MI

Marc Irwin

Aug 22, 2016, 2:19:12 PM8/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am planning the 62 miler.  Since I know the roads, I may cheat a little and avoid a couple spots, but yeah.

Marc

Marc Irwin

Sep 6, 2016, 1:23:43 PM9/6/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm going to correct myself.  I was thinking of something else when I said I was doing the 62 mile ride.  Here is the route we used last year and had a good time.  It's 36 miles but there is a recommeded detour around the Sager road portion (it's sand).    This thread needed a little bump anyway.

Marc
Message has been deleted

Palmer

Sep 6, 2016, 4:51:57 PM9/6/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the reminder Marc. 36 sounds better for my current fitness, or lack of that is. Would a 38mm 650b tire would well if not too wet?
Tom Palmer
Twin Lake,MI

Marc Irwin

Sep 7, 2016, 10:12:42 AM9/7/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sure , the 38mm should be fine.  A friend did the course last year with 32mm on a 1962 Frejus track bike, of course he can't see sane in his rear view.

Marc

Palmer

Sep 29, 2016, 10:01:06 AM9/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bump for the ride in 9 days. Looking forward to it Marc. Anyone else joining us?

Howard Hatten

Sep 29, 2016, 10:55:49 AM9/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Kind of late notice but if any Mi list members would like to have my entry to the Fargo s48o this weekend contact me off list. fargosub48.com All it will cost you is the $5 transfer fee. Medical issues at home are preventing me from riding.
Transfer has to happen before 5 today.

Howard
Livonia mi.

Marc Irwin

Oct 2, 2016, 7:38:53 AM10/2/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've heard a few "interested" but seen no commitments.   Last year, we only had two firm commitments, we ended up with 5.  I have reserved campsite 63 at the Deep Lake Campground in Yankee Springs (1/2 the modern trailer park was closed and the other half reserved).  Don't worry about last minute decisions, I can have up to 6 people in the campsite.  We can all try to touch base this week and plan to meet up in Hastings with those not spending the night.  Next weekend is the event, online registration is open until Thursday and there is no registration on the day of the ride.  There will probably be a reasonable number of vintage bikers there as well.

Palmer

Oct 2, 2016, 8:29:31 AM10/2/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Marc,
I am in. See you Saturday.
Thanks!
Tom Palmer
Twin Lake MI

Marc Irwin

Oct 4, 2016, 8:09:06 AM10/4/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
We have a few days left to register for the Fall Fondo.  Tom and I will be at the Deep Lake Campgrounds with room for 4 more.  Anybody can meet up with us at the Hastings Courthouse lawn between 9 and 10AM Saturday.  It looks like it's going to be a cool autumn day in a colorful forest.  Hope to see you there.

Marc

Marc Irwin

Oct 6, 2016, 7:59:39 AM10/6/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Last minute bump. This is the last day to register for the Fall Fondo. Well meet up on the Courthouse lawn between 9 and ten.

Marc

Wayne Naha

Oct 12, 2016, 5:11:11 PM10/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
How did your ride go?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Marc Irwin

Oct 13, 2016, 10:27:10 AM10/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The ride was fine,  There were about 250 people having a great time.  There was a fair number of vintage bikers although no other Riv's showed up.  Tom Palmer was planning to be there, but he got injured and had to bail.  It was still a good time, I spend the weekend at the campgrounds in Yankee Springs, do the Fondo on Saturday and spend time on the MTB trails on Sunday.  I'll do it again next year.

Marc