Something interesting happened today/ pre FS

drew

Aug 21, 2016, 9:27:49 PM8/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
So I've been married for about a year. We still haven't made a joint bank account...laziness mostly. For our entire relationship any bike related purchases have been mine, and many come with eyerolls, even if they are for her.

In general, she is happy on any bike and doesn't really get why we have multiple bikes. But If she expresses even the slightest interest in something, I usually spring for it to encourage more biking together. thats how we ended up with a promo Clem. I showed her, she was like "that's really nice but I don't want to pay for something I don't need". Then I bought it. "That's a cool rack, would that fit my bike?" Purchased. Etc, etc.

We recently bought a little piece of land up north and rather than transporting bikes up there each time, we decided to get bikes to leave up there. I've been working on a 84 trek atb as that bike. Actually it's finished but for a couple of tires on their way. It's a budget build, but I think it came out really nice and unique.

Anyway, someone posted the link to a 48cm sam in Irvine, and I showed her just for kicks. I was incredibly surprised when she said, "I'd buy that, then we can take the Clem up to mariposa." part of me was bummed because I JUST finished the trek, but the other part of me was beaming. The first financial commitment to biking, Not just pretending to like it for my sake. Some sort of victory.

After assuring her the drop bars would come off and she could make a little money back on selling the parts she didn't want, we went down to Irvine today and picked it up.

I assume at least one of this bikes previous owners is on the list. It's a 2010 orange canti sam. Came with lots of nice little extras and looks to have been treated kindly. She stared at it all the way back up to Los Angeles.

I'll do a real FS post with a bunch of other stuff and pics in a few days, but if anyone is interested in the following white it's on my mind and before I get organized (if I do) let me know.

-Nigel smythe big loafer, tan, excellent condition. Not sure what these sell for. 90$ shipped?

-46cm noodles with shimano tiara aero levers, tektro interrupters, ultegra bar ends. Cork wrapped and shellacked. Vgc but the wrap is kinda worn.
110$ shipped

-Nitto r-14 with tombstone. Vgc100$ shipped

-Thompson elite seatpost. Vgc 27.2. About 16in long. Some setback. 70$ shipped

And if you know anyone who wants a tiny, 46cm, lugged, Reynolds 501 Trek with clearances for 1.9ish tires, let me know.

dougP

Aug 21, 2016, 9:39:47 PM8/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Drew:

Congratulations!  Married a year & she's already got 2 Rivendells, even before a joint checking account.  I think your influence is starting to rub off.  Sounds like you've got a sensible mate there.

BTW, don't discount the load carrying of the R-14.  Despite Riv's warning that it's not a pannier rack, I've loaded mine down with a pair of Ortleibs suitably stuffed for an adventerous weekend.  While not ideal, it was more stable than I expected.  Probably should be limited to occassional use only though.

dougP

drew

Aug 21, 2016, 10:04:01 PM8/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh man there are lots of autocorrect false fixes in what I wrote.

Thanks, the Proto Clem was the gateway drug. Real pride of ownership thing. She cleans it and tells everyone how strong and comfy it is. The last bike that she actually purchased for herself was a 50$ 80's Schwinn. and until today it felt like my bike purchases were under deep scrutiny. I'm not sure what changed, but I'm not arguing....or asking.

Forgot to mention that there is also a honey Brooks b17 special with copper rails. Looks essentially new. 90$ shipped