1x11 Sam Hillborne with a 50t rear cog

James / Analog Cycles

Mar 15, 2018, 3:00:46 PM3/15/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
We just about finished up this Sam Hillborne for John S.  He'll use it primarily for commuting, but also for the occasional light tour.  It's got a bunch of Riv un-approved bits, but here at Analog we're pretty fond of tubeless tires, bigger than VP pedals, and 1x drivetrains.  Of course, not every bike goes out with that stuff!

It's about to get a trouser guard for the outer chainring, as well as a Big Nitto rear rack.

For gear inch nerd:  it's roughly 85 on the high side and 18.7 on the low side.  36t ring.

Deacon Patrick

Mar 15, 2018, 3:24:33 PM3/15/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, that’s one crazy commute! Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Daniel Jackson

Mar 15, 2018, 4:34:48 PM3/15/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
XD driver required?

Jay Connolly

Mar 15, 2018, 5:02:35 PM3/15/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sunrace now sells an 11-50 that fits a standard (I think) Shimano hub, so I don't think that will be XD.

Jay

Analog Cycles Frederick, MD

Mar 15, 2018, 5:14:20 PM3/15/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nope.  It's a standard FH body.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 4:34 PM, Daniel Jackson <daniel.se...@gmail.com> wrote:
XD driver required?

Joe Bernard

Mar 15, 2018, 6:13:20 PM3/15/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's awesome. I've seen ebike builds before that hid the motor to mimic non-assist, but that giant cassette makes this non-assist look like an ebike! 😂

Bill Lindsay

Mar 15, 2018, 6:31:04 PM3/15/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
The nice touch that caught my eye is the Dia Compe headset cable hanger with a built in QR cam.  That's a classy old school unit.  APPROVE.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Charles Ku

Mar 16, 2018, 5:34:22 PM3/16/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice setup! What derailleur do you use to support the 11-50? Thanks!

Patrick Moore

Mar 16, 2018, 6:34:02 PM3/16/18
to rbw-owners-bunch
Man! I don't even use 50 chainrings! What's that dinner plate for?

Patrick "30 inch granny gear -- on the derailleur bike" Moore

My low gears:

Gofast: 60": 46 X 19 X 24.75" wheel (15 t with 17/19 Dingle on flip side)
Errand: 60": 48 X 17/20 Dingle, 24.75" wheel, no flip side)
Matthews: 42/28 X 14-28 10 speed X 29.5" wheel.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique
Auditis an me ludit amabilis insania?

James / Analog Cycles

Mar 17, 2018, 1:59:39 PM3/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Charles, thanks!  It's a SRAM GX 11 speed SGS.

James / Analog Cycles

Mar 17, 2018, 2:00:15 PM3/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Bill.  Basically a must have with a Paul front brake!  I wanna get some remade for the rear!

James / Analog Cycles

Patrick Moore

Mar 17, 2018, 2:18:18 PM3/17/18
to rbw-owners-bunch
Any bigger and you wouldn't need the rim!

Analog Cycles Frederick, MD

Mar 17, 2018, 2:22:31 PM3/17/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That's my next project.  Look for it on Bike Radar and the Radavist.

Patrick Moore

Mar 17, 2018, 3:55:26 PM3/17/18
to rbw-owners-bunch
I'm not sure whether 50 effing teeth! Already! is a better way to get a 19" gear than a wide range double with a 24 X 34, say. But I can see that someone carrying a heavy load over many hilly miles might want a 19" gear.

Joe Bernard

Mar 17, 2018, 7:07:56 PM3/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Same number of rear cogs while dropping a front derailer and one chainring. I'm all for it 👍

Joe Bernard

Apr 7, 2018, 2:40:44 PM4/7/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Can anyone tell me who makes the bar-end mirror on this Hillborne?

Joe Bernard
Novato CA.

Analog Cycles Frederick, MD

Apr 7, 2018, 3:00:05 PM4/7/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Busch and Muller does.  They make a few variants on it.  Best mirrors going, mostly aluminum construction.

We dig em!

James

John Philip

Apr 7, 2018, 3:01:14 PM4/7/18