NYC riders: fenders year-round?

Patch T

May 21, 2018, 5:03:52 PM5/21/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Bunch,

Forgive the NYC-specific post, but I know there's a lot out there and I would like to know your thoughts on fenders and seasons here.

Namely, do you always wear them? Can I get away with removing them during the summer? Too wet?

I prefer the look of a bike without. I'd like a wider tire currently. I enjoy tinkering and don't mind removing and reinstalling parts. I absolutely appreciate full coverage in significant rain, and do enjoy riding no matter what the weather is. I may have answered my own question.

Would still like to know what habits y'all have.

Patch
BK/formerly LA

Jacob

May 21, 2018, 5:46:33 PM5/21/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I ride with fenders all year round. The grime, animal/human waste, food, oil, salt, etc. on the streets is disgusting. I try to keep it off of my frame as much as possible. Also makes the rainday decisions easier.

Tim Bantham

May 21, 2018, 5:48:17 PM5/21/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I live upstate where the seasons are similar to what you have a little further south. I too have thought about this. I installed hammered metal VO Fenders on my Sam and I did so with great care. I have them set up with 38mm tires and I really love the way they look. I personally don't like to hassle with them once they are installed so I will likely leave them on year round. That said, I have other bikes to ride if fenders would not be appropriate. Can't think of many scenarios like that other than deep mud.

Brad

May 21, 2018, 5:55:15 PM5/21/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
 I also ride with fenders year round. Sometimes it's raining, sometimes it just stopped raining, and sometimes it's trash day and the streets are covered with hot garbage juice!

Brad
Queens

Adam Adeane

May 21, 2018, 6:02:06 PM5/21/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I leave them on all year round, and looking at the 10 day forecast just now suggests it's not a bad idea either.

Adam in Bed-Stuy

Steven Sweedler

May 21, 2018, 7:19:42 PM5/21/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you need two bikes (at least)   Steve

Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire

Kainalu V.

May 21, 2018, 8:40:03 PM5/21/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Garbage juice spritzer is the key to winning just riding in NYC. I've been without fenders for a year and am stinkier/better than ever! That blurted, the only reason I haven't been using them is that I laminated up my own fenders and have had the job of rigging homemade fender stays on the backburner forever...***
-Kai
BKNY

***just set up a new to me surly ogre and it's fendered with matching plastics.

Eric Douglas

May 21, 2018, 8:53:36 PM5/21/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric in Brooklyn here:

There is all sort of gross stuff on NYC streets. I like to keep it off me and my drivetrain.

LBleriot

May 21, 2018, 10:00:44 PM5/21/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
For me it comes down to whether fenders means I can ride vs. not ride. I’m lucky enough to have both fendered and non-fendered choices. I put fenders on my go fast Roadini and now I ride it in snotty weather and wet roads which means I enjoy it more.

ascpgh

May 22, 2018, 5:25:17 AM5/22/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
At 50% greater rainfall than average this year so far, I'm very happy to have quiet aluminum fenders on my bikes. The amount of money spent on drivetrain consumables has been way less than it had been before I was a confirmed fender-er. The abrasive slurry of decomposing urban surfaces mixed water that is kept off everything contributes to durability no part maker could ever claim.

Fenders also reduce the grotesqueness you face when you grab your water bottle for a sip from what has effectively been your fender if you don't have any.

What dry weather I ride in with the fenders on my bikes hasn't ever made me jealously consider taking them off. They keep dust lifted by the tires from being directly applied to the drivetrain moving parts in dry conditions too. I don't bother with "dry lube" for such any more, I still had dust contamination, only the degree is arguable. The amount of effort cleaning and reapplying lubes for wet and dry would create a superfund site and consume more time than just riding. With fenders.

My bike after an 80 mile ride on the GAP, the first 40 miles in pouring rain, then just the crushed limestone slurry : https://photos.app.goo.gl/uugCZ3HggdZmgHgM2

How you keep your feet clean and dry without fenders: https://photos.app.goo.gl/IbVGgp84O2O9TdKh2

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Tony DeFilippo

May 22, 2018, 6:32:32 AM5/22/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Further south but I'm fully fendered year around in my Saluki in DC... To much hassle to remove seasonally and I use the rear fender to route my Dyno wiring and support my rear light.

Match your fenders to your frame color and maybe the aesthetics will work better for you even if it does limit your tire size.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uEnGLWP8sm8SFLcx1

Ron Mc

May 22, 2018, 6:36:10 AM5/22/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not NYC, but I live in s. Texas and ride the hill country and San Antonio.  We can have really wet sloppy seasons, though it's never reliable on the calendar - it's mostly dependent on El Nino and La Nina in the Pacific.
I have 4 bikes, two with full-time fenders, and a third with clip fenders.  Already mentioned, the best thing fenders do is keep drivetrains clean - chains free of sand, etc.
I get  your point about big tires, but will tackle the appearance thing first - here shorty fenders - these things actually work - they keep road dirt from all those slots in CP brakes
Next to it, same bike - finally got my Honjos moved onto it - no hit on the looks.

Have you thought about removable fenders such as Raceblade XL?  https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/raceblade-pro-xl/

I have these on and off my 3rd fender bike, along with a PDW Origami (front) mud guard on the seat tube to make them near-enough full-coverage.
Two minutes to install, 30 seconds to remove, adequate coverage on my 38mm Barlows

This is how much sand stuck to the mud guard from one slop ride.

 without this setup, half of that would have ended up on the

Ron Mc

May 22, 2018, 6:37:50 AM5/22/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
chain

Steve Palincsar

May 22, 2018, 6:43:59 AM5/22/18

On 05/22/2018 05:25 AM, ascpgh wrote:
> At 50% greater rainfall than average this year so far, I'm very happy
> to have quiet aluminum fenders on my bikes. The amount of money spent
> on drivetrain consumables has been way less than it had been before I
> was a confirmed fender-er. The abrasive slurry of decomposing urban
> surfaces mixed water that is kept off everything contributes to
> durability no part maker could ever claim.
>
> Fenders also reduce the grotesqueness you face when you grab your
> water bottle for a sip from what has effectively been your fender if
> you don't have any.

You really want to see grotesqueness, go for a ride during or
immediately after a rain in Amish country.

> What dry weather I ride in with the fenders on my bikes hasn't ever
> made me jealously consider taking them off. They keep dust lifted by
> the tires from being directly applied to the drivetrain moving parts
> in dry conditions too. I don't bother with "dry lube" for such any
> more, I still had dust contamination, only the degree is arguable. The
> amount of effort cleaning and reapplying lubes for wet and dry would
> create a superfund site and consume more time than just riding. With
> fenders.
>
> My bike after an 80 mile ride on the GAP, the first 40 miles in
> pouring rain, then just the crushed limestone slurry :
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/uugCZ3HggdZmgHgM2

Yes!  I've been on club rides with folks on wet roads.  When done, those
without fenders were complaining about the hour or more of cleanup work
required.  With fenders, at most around 2 minutes.

> How you keep your feet clean and dry without fenders:
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/IbVGgp84O2O9TdKh2

But try to pedal that way...

Clay Kippen

May 24, 2018, 11:10:20 AM5/24/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I didn't proof read my last post oops!

I've been commuting in NYC for years and summer is mostly dry. You'd probably be OK without (I went without last year), but just be ready for heavy rain when it does.

The clip-on fenders mentioned previously appear to be a good summer option, but I would definitely recommend full coverage for fall, winter and spring.

-C

Clay Kippen

May 24, 2018, 11:20:31 AM5/24/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I live in NYC and commute by bike daily. I now keep fenders on my commuter 100% of the time, just because it is tough to keep taking them off and putting back on.

Summer in New York is mostly sunny, but once the Fall rolls around it will get rainy again.

Bob B

May 24, 2018, 6:11:15 PM5/24/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Fenders all the time for my daily riding. Sometimes I take them off my riv but rarely. I dont mind getting dirty but I draw the line at "garbage spritzers" lol

Bob B
Brooklyn, NY

William deRosset

May 25, 2018, 3:16:00 PM5/25/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Having spent two days last week stepping around puddles of urine in lower Manhattan, I would argue for full-time full-coverage fenders.

Until the climate changes such that NYC matches Blade Runner's Los Angeles. Then you'll want fenders anyway.

Best Regards,

Will
William M. deRosset
Fort Collins CO USA

lambbo

May 25, 2018, 9:20:58 PM5/25/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just put on some old VO fenders - so glad I did.  Puddles abound, road grime kills, and my sandal'd toes appreciate it.
    28 Compass tires are good but don't compare to the Jack Browns, which are so dreamy, I miss them.

Question: spay-flaps (mud guards?) on a road bike? Too much?  Helpful?  Big puddles still get my toes.