MKS sneaker pedal

Edwin W

Sep 2, 2015, 10:12:36 PM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
I totally mangled the dustcap when servicing my sneaker pedal a month ago. But the servicing worked. Then a month later a click returned. The mangled cap had fallen off.
I googled around and found this neat trick. A nickel (barely) fits in there!

Using an hour on a five minute job,

Edwin
image.jpg

cyclotourist

Sep 2, 2015, 11:06:10 PM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice find!

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Michael Hechmer

Sep 3, 2015, 6:34:42 AM9/3/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've never been able to hang onto a nickel.  How do you do that?
Michael

Lungimsam

Sep 4, 2015, 12:12:59 PM9/4/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Riv sells MKS dust caps. At least they used to. Check there to get some.

Edwin W

Sep 4, 2015, 1:29:26 PM9/4/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
No need for the plastic ones!
Pocket full of nickels (and they only cost five cents!),

Edwin

Jon Dukeman in the foothills of Colorado

Sep 5, 2015, 9:30:45 AM9/5/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
And it added value to you pedal.:) Nice !

Comotion001

Sep 5, 2015, 2:02:11 PM9/5/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

Liesl

Sep 5, 2015, 6:03:02 PM9/5/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks dang sporty! Any problem getting the nickel out?

hangtownmatt

Sep 5, 2015, 11:37:13 PM9/5/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
If you have access to a bench top grinder its advisable to reduce the circumference of the nickel just-a-bit.  Don't just jam them in there.  I popped my nickels out this year for the pedals annual service ... no problem.  There's a notch in the pedal just for this purpose.

 I too, just like Edwin, lost my MKS cap.  My first replacement required two round trips to the LBS (pick-up and delivery) and $3+ dollars.  After that I googled and learned about the nickel trick.  It works great and only costs 5 cents.  Gotta love the internet!  If you haven't googled it you haven't tried.

Matt