Question for Hunquapillar owners

Broccoli Cog

Oct 16, 2016, 7:35:27 PM10/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Every since my first Riv (a sam) I have been lusting after a Hunqapillar. You guys warned me! You were right!! I already have a fat bike, a Surly ICT, I have ridden that bike everywhere and ride it like I would a Mountain Bike. On singletrack that is not super technical the ICT is a blast to ride. I ride with people on traditional mountain bikes and really don't feel like I am giving up much . I am wondering what a Hunq would be like riding as a trail bike. Any owners out there who ride it like a regular mountain bike? Wondering what your experience have been. Thanks!

Belopsky

Oct 16, 2016, 7:44:57 PM10/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I dont know, I don't own one, but it will feel much more like a hog than the ICT I think? Compare the wheelbase and chainstays..

Kurt Manley

Oct 16, 2016, 8:10:18 PM10/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have 2 rigid 29ers, a Hunq and a steel 29er built by Aherne with geo commonly found on most mtn bikes. Even though they are both steel and don't have suspension they ride very differently. The Aherne with it's higher bb and more aggressive positioning is super fun to ride on all terrain. The Hunq while much better loaded and way more comfortable for all day riding is not as capable when the trail gets really rough. Pedal strikes are much more common.
They are both awesome but in different ways. The hunq can do it all but if unloaded singletrack shredding is your priority then there are many more capable bikes. If loaded touring, comfort, style, with solid off road capability is what you want then the Hunq will satisfy you completely.

drew

Oct 16, 2016, 9:42:52 PM10/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I agree with Kurt. I think it really shines as a loaded tourer that can go off road. Mine is my favorite bike, but if I was looking to ride a bunch of technical single track, I'd probably look somewhere else.

dstein

Oct 16, 2016, 11:59:52 PM10/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
agreed with drew and kurt. I got a hunq as my first 'mountain bike', it's still my favorite bike by far as outfitted with rat trap pass tires it functions great as an all purpose road and trail bike, but for technical and dedicated mountain bike riding (ie, drive my bike out to a singletrack trail system) I went ahead and got a Jones plus with 3" tubeless tires at ~10 psi which I prefer for lots of rocks, roots, and twisty singletrack (not ot mention better handling for sharp downhill turns). ice cream truck was on my radar before I got the jones. if you're happy w/ the ict but want something else for touring outfitted with a rack or two, albastache bars, and all general rounder-ness, hunq would make a great compliment ;)

Daniel Jackson

Oct 17, 2016, 9:45:55 AM10/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Hunq is beautiful comfortable and stable. An ideal platform for an all rounder and dirt road to tame singletrack tourer. My favorite bike in my stable.

But it cannot handle technical single track nearly as well as other dedicated options.

Marc Irwin

Oct 17, 2016, 10:13:07 AM10/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I agree with everything I have seen here.  The Hunq is a super goanywheredoanythingfullyloaded for big boy's bike.  It's good enough for me on single track, but I don't aggressively shred nothing.  Since I am not hell bent on riding technical trails and competition, it has kept me from buying a MTB or Fattie.
A couple of years ago, I was in Minneapolis at a rally and QBP brought the whole stable of fatties out to the river bottoms for us to try.  I rode all of them and honestly prefer the Hunq.  It's more versitile and easy enough on anything but loose deep sand.

Marc

Belopsky

Oct 17, 2016, 10:21:49 AM10/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Clearance for.. 58mm tires right? So something like 2.2 is do-able ?

Matt Rhodes

Oct 17, 2016, 11:46:21 AM10/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I believe the latest Hunqs can clear a 2.4.

Broccoli Cog

Oct 17, 2016, 6:17:39 PM10/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you everyone! This is really solid advice and was exactly what I was looking for. I live in Upstate New York and don't really have an opportunity for loaded touring on miles and miles of dirt road. We do have some dirt and gravel but my Sam can handle any of that. Most of the mountain biking is either rocky and rooty singletrack or smooth flowy singletrack. I tend to stick with the latter these days. I think my ICT will continue to serve my needs. Thanks again.

adam leibow

Oct 17, 2016, 9:08:50 PM10/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
similar to Kurt, I have a hunqapillar and a fattie (29+ krampus) with a super high bottom bracket. I do some mountain biking on my hunqapillar and enjoy it but it definitely feels like underbiking on the more technical rocky rooty twisty parts of the trail, whereas the krampus is a frigging monstertruck that can handle it all like nothing. however, the hunqapillar is great for riding lite trails on the way to the coffee shop or mountain touring; it just depends how and where you usually ride.

David Stein

Oct 17, 2016, 9:23:54 PM10/17/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Broccoli Cog - no one was saying don't get the hunqapillar, just what we thought its limitations were ;). (Where is Deacon Patrick with his Sardonic Grin's when you need 'em)?

n+1

Broccoli Cog