Traveling with your bike

Ben Miller

Jan 10, 2018, 4:05:32 PM1/10/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm in the process of packing up a bike I sold to another list member and also, at the same time, planning a trip that I want to take a bike with me. Being a tall person, I love that Rivendell makes large bikes, but when it comes to packing them, you run up against the fact that most frames just aren't so damn big.

So, anyone have thoughts/suggestions on traveling with your larger-than-average-frame Rivendell? Any experience with soft or hard shell bike travel cases, for say a 62 cm+ frame?

Also, any preferences on taking the bike with you on the plane vs shipping it, say via BikeFlights? I realize this is somewhat airline dependent, as the cost on some airlines is just too much for it to make sense. But assuming a $100 or less bike fee for the airline, does BikeFlight offer anything in terms of piece of mind or insurance? Where do you ship it too, if you don't have a contact where you're going? A bike shop?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Eric Norris

Jan 10, 2018, 5:09:06 PM1/10/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ben:

The last time I shipped a bike (via Bike Flights) I ran into a problem finding a box small enough to avoid their oversize charge (which, to be fair, UPS and FedEx also charge). Most of the empty bike boxes I found at bike shops were in the “too big” category, and I had to hunt for a smaller one. The difference in shipping cost was something like $80 for a small box and $400 for one only slightly larger.

I say this because I was shipping a 57cm bike (with wheels) that barely fit inside that box. You may have a problem getting your larger bike into a package that doesn’t cost a fortune to ship.

One alternative, if you are going to a place near an Amtrak station, is to ship the bike by train. Amtrak doesn’t charge for very large boxes—in fact, they sell a box for use on their trains that only requires pedals to be taken off and the handlebars rotated to be parallel with the frame. You get a very tall bike in their box, and they’ll ship a bike across the US for about what Bike Flights, UPS, or FedEx charges for a much smaller package. Shipping all the way across the US took a few days the last time I sent a bike.

dougP

Jan 10, 2018, 5:31:12 PM1/10/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ben:

Check all the airlines serving your destination but IMHO it's rare for an airline to be competitive with ground service.  On top of that, the airlines are no more gentle with luggage than UPS & Fed Ex are with packages. If you take your bike on the airplane, you also have to think about transporting the big box from the airport to your destination.  Sounds trivial but it can be a hassle.

Check the current standards but the magic number for UPS & Fed Ex has been 130", combined length plus girth of your box.  I have a hard case that meets the requirement and my 58 cm Atlantis fits.  I have to remove racks but can still pack them in the box.  A 62 might be a snug fit.

Depending on your needs at your destination, another solution is to track down a rental bike.  This option has grown in availability in the last few years, and is worth considering if you are doing casual rides in one area.  Of course, if you are setting out on a long, multi day tour having your own bike is priceless.

Have not used Bike Flights but they have gotten positive reviews on bike forums.

dougP

Ben Miller

Jan 11, 2018, 3:50:03 AM1/11/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Interesting ideas guys.

I will look into the Amtrak idea.

Doug, are you sure about 130"? It seems airlines are mostly at 62 dimensional inches (length+height+width). 130 dimensional inches would be a BIG box. The one I'm using to ship this sold bike is 81" (42+30+9).

As far as flights vs shipping, JetBlue is only $50, Southwest $75, and United is $100 (but I really dislike United, so I'm not sure about that one). Those are all options and give or take a BikeFlights shipment price (assuming I can get it under their box size limits, as Eric points out).

Any ideas on the best cases for large frames?

RichS

Jan 11, 2018, 1:27:02 PM1/11/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Doug, where did you purchase your hard case? Sounds like a smart investment.

Thanks very much,
Richard

dougP

Jan 11, 2018, 3:07:49 PM1/11/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ben:

Yes, the 130" is Fed Ex & UPS ground.  Last time I looked into taking my case on United it was some horrendous cost like $300 each flight or something else prohibitive.  Beyond 62" airlines call it oversize & the rate skyrockets.

You are correct that airlines limit is 62" which is a large suitcase size, nowhere big enough for a bike (unless Bike Friday or similar folder that goes into the 62" case).  I've not used Southwest or Jet Blue but have heard they take bikes at a reasonable cost.  Not sure what the packing requirements are though.  Worth checking on.

dougP

Tim

Jan 11, 2018, 3:23:18 PM1/11/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I bought the Bike Pro soft travel case. My 62cm A. Homer Hilsen fit just fine. I took it on the plane with me to France for PBP. I checked it at JFK and for some reason, did not have to pay a fee (but the American website was pretty clear that bikes were at least $150 if not oversized.) Since we stayed in Europe for a while, I shipped it back home in the case via Bike Flights. It cost me $220 from Paris to Connecticut and they picked it up at the hotel.

dougP

Jan 11, 2018, 3:41:13 PM1/11/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Richard:

I got mine at Performance many years ago.  Currently there are several manufacturers and no doubt the features & technology are better.  For instance, my case weighs 30 lbs empty, so pack the Atlantis with racks, etc., & 70 lbs tips the scales pretty quick.  I haven't shipped my bike now for a few years but IIRC there was also a weight limit that I got close to.  Of course, any limit can be exceeded but costs money.

That 30 lbs of case weight does include a lot of protection for the bike.  Look for cases with wheels & handles so you can easily roll it around rather than trying to carry it.

Pro tip on case measurements:  Clerks have been know to have difficulty getting the correct dimensions when wrestling with large boxes.  Get some big stencils, at least 4", & spray paint the dimensions right on the box, including the total.  They see that, it looks official, and they don't have to mess with it, they just accept it.  Saves discussions about how to measure.

dougP

R Shannon

Jan 11, 2018, 4:57:01 PM1/11/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tim and Doug:

Thank you for all the info on packing and shipping.

Doug, your packing case sounds like it offers maximum protection. Perfect for my Atlantis too:-)

Thanks again,
Richard

Sent from my iPhone