Just bought Compass 700x32 Extra Lights

Don Compton

Dec 6, 2016, 12:40:46 AM12/6/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's Christmas time and I thought that it's my turn to splurge on some fancy tires. It was not a mistake. These tires rock!!!!!!!!!! My , already incredible) Roadeo has entered a new level of comfort and handling.

ascpgh

Dec 6, 2016, 5:15:00 AM12/6/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I put them on my Rambouillet this summer with the same reaction. One of the more astounding observations besides the ride quality is the rollout. We have hills around here, seldom straight, seldom of pitches recommended in civil engineering handbooks and more textures than most places including concrete, asphalt, brick, Belgian block and yes, wooden block.

In a group of riders, me on the only ferrous framed, 36-spoked, leather saddled, Compass EL-tired bike, beginning a descent without a pedal stroke, I simply roll away from others. It was so noticeable that one rider (in his 20s) quipped "those old guys have nothing left to live for" unable to grasp that such could result from better tires and that I did nothing to produce the difference including being heavier (my 185 lbs doesn't stand out in that group).

Not only is the roll out impressive, the feel of control from suppleness doesn't raise concern over nearing the edge of the envelope where lesser rim protectors go into a sketchy ride and an interval of handling and  feel that makes clear that they are not happy when too many parameters challenge them. My Stampede Pass ELs earned their place quickly and are the simple, obvious decision for tires in my book. Few bits of kit are such slam dunks and winter moments imagining a new bike project would only take 15 minutes if all others were this clear.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

lum gim fong

Dec 6, 2016, 9:03:07 AM12/6/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use Compass tires. They are comfortable, handle and corner extremely well, and give a cushy ride.

But I don't think any tire I've ever ridden (or any bike component for that matter) has ever made me any faster. At least that's what the bike computer shows. So I cannot claim that the Compass tires , or Grand Bois tires I have used (Hetres, Cypres, Loups, Stampeeds, Chinooks) roll any faster than Swabby marathons that I've used, or armadillo tires or continental gator skins.

I do see the comfort and handling, though.

BenG

Dec 6, 2016, 9:35:31 AM12/6/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Building a Christmas bike for my son-in-law. Took several nights of sore hands to get Compass 32mm EL mounted true on new Mavic Open Sport/105 wheels. He won't know the difference, but they feel as good as a skinny can.

Chris Birkenmaier

Dec 6, 2016, 11:28:11 AM12/6/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am a huge fan of Compass tires.  They are my first preference on all my bikes although I do have some others such as tires from Panaracer, etc that are in the supple category.  No turning back for me from that feel.

adam leibow

Dec 6, 2016, 12:24:12 PM12/6/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
i need these very same tires for my black mountain cycles road. they should max out the clearance on it, and make it ride even better than the 25c tires on there now.

Jack K

Dec 6, 2016, 8:33:02 PM12/6/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
My how times have changed! 32mm road tires are now "a skinny"...

Ryan Fleming

Dec 7, 2016, 11:30:53 AM12/7/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
which pass? I really like the Stampede passes

ted

Dec 7, 2016, 1:29:50 PM12/7/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Adam, I have 26mm Compass Cayuse Pass tires on my BMC Road. I run them at 65/70 psi front/rear and it's great.

I used to have 32mm Compass Cypres tires on my 650B AHH, they would get squirrely below about 55/60 psi. Since there was sooo much extra clearance I changed to wider tires. Since I end up limiting how low I go with the pressure to get handling I like, I don't find I the ride feels all that much plusher with the much wider tires (~41mm) on that bike. The next tires I get for the AHH will be 38mm.

Though I see no reason why you shouldn't try the Compass 32mm tires on your BMC Road, you may not find the difference from your current 25mm tires to be all that huge (assuming your current tires are as nice as Compass tires are). If you really want to max out your tire width for the clearance you have, you may want to try the 35mm Compass Bon Jon Pass tires. Mike Varley says the BMC Road frame was designed around the 33.333mm Jack Brown tire. The 35mm Compass tires may well fit.

Don Compton

Dec 7, 2016, 5:21:50 PM12/7/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Another note. I am riding the tires at 48psi front and 55psi rear on 23 mm rims. They do not feel mushy, but have a wonderful ride.

BenG

Dec 7, 2016, 7:36:13 PM12/7/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Derrick's bike has Stampede Pass extra-lights on those new wheels. They were hard to mount per the instructions. I might ride it after he does, but it'll be new for him. Frame is a 10yr old silver Specialized Sirrus with chro-mo fork, fits 32mm with fenders. That was the cheapest one in the lineup when I ordered it, and I lucked into the only model with a steel fork and that much clearance.

lum gim fong

Dec 7, 2016, 9:17:19 PM12/7/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
700c 36 hole A23 rims- tough to get Stampede and Chinooks on but once on they auto beadseat upon inflation. Nice.

Grand Bois 650b 36 hole black label- Easy on and auto bead seat for Loup Loup Pass.

Paul G

Dec 13, 2016, 9:55:35 AM12/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Don, what is the width of your new Stampede Passes at your inflation pressures on those 23mm rims?

Don Compton

Dec 13, 2016, 5:06:24 PM12/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am sorry that I haven't measured them. They're wider than the Grand Bois 28's I had used before. I have so much room for tires on my Roadeo that I don't worry about actual width.

Steve Palincsar

Dec 13, 2016, 5:13:56 PM12/13/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

On 12/13/2016 05:06 PM, Don Compton wrote:
> I am sorry that I haven't measured them. They're wider than the Grand
> Bois 28's I had used before.

It would be pretty shocking if they weren't...

Don Compton

Dec 13, 2016, 11:39:07 PM12/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
OK. After about a 150 miles I measured the tires. They both measured 32.3.