Fenders installed. Rack moved to the front. Now to figure out if I bought the right sized basket & how to secure it.

Daniel Betancourt

Jan 10, 2017, 4:00:19 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

I'm waiting for a Nitto R14 rear rack to arrive this week but in the meantime I had the fenders installed and the rear rack moved up front.

I'm going to dig around other posts and pics to see how others with a similar frame have mounted this size basket. I may need to go with a deeper basket but am not sure yet. I've seen a few people use zip ties to secure the basket to the rack.

Bill Lindsay

Jan 10, 2017, 4:04:41 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Half a dozen zip ties will secure the rack to the basket (or vice versa).  If you fall in love with the position but regret that zip ties are too inexpensive, too light weight and too convenient, then later on replace with some kind of wire lashing, as many others have done.

To add 'virtual depth' to your basket, consider using a Large Sackville Shopsack, which fits the footprint perfectly and is way deeper than the basket itself.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Austin ^

Jan 10, 2017, 4:56:58 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
+1 zip ties
I've been riding around with a Swift industries Sugarloaf bag for the past couple of weeks and I love it - designed specifically for the basket, fits perfectly and attaches to the basket, waterproof, several interior pockets and holds a good amount of stuff and can be carried by the handle or add a strap and used as a mini duffel off the bike. http://builtbyswift.com/shop/sugarloaf/

Ryan Fleming

Jan 10, 2017, 5:32:48 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think the cream fenders look great and not just because they're going on my bike. Nice bike !

Howard Hatten

Jan 10, 2017, 6:17:16 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Two thumbs up on the BLACK basket.

Howard
Livonia Mi

ted

Jan 10, 2017, 6:27:12 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Austin,

I noticed the dimensions Swift gives for the Sugarloaf seem a bit smaller than how I measure my medium wald basket. Also in some photos I've seen it doesn't seem to really fill the basket side to side and front to back. How are you finding the fit?

thnks
ted

Austin ^

Jan 10, 2017, 7:43:32 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I find that it fits just right, if it is smaller than the basket it's so it can still fit while full. It sits solidly even over pretty bumpy terrain empty or full. The only kinda drawback I've found is when the bag is really full it can be a tight fit to access the front and rear exterior pockets. That and I feel like riv's Shopsack can hold a bit more, but the sugarloaf attaches to the basket better and is nicer to carry off the bike. All in all if I had one bike and had to choose a single front storage solution, the wald + sugarloaf would be it, they really are that nice.

Jon BALER

Jan 10, 2017, 10:12:27 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Reload basket bag

http://www.reloadbags.com/category-s/2047.htm

Taller and cheaper than swift, and no inconvenient zipper. They'll probably do custom colors if you ask.

Free shipping too

Daniel Betancourt

Jan 11, 2017, 8:41:45 AM1/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for all the comments and feedback.

Dan

Les Lammers

Jan 11, 2017, 11:53:59 AM1/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dan,

I'm going to use zip ties but will put some strips of bamboo on the rack before securing it simply to prevent metal to metal contact. Still waiting for the rack.

Daniel Betancourt

Jan 11, 2017, 3:03:43 PM1/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Basket mounted and I used black cable ties (rated for 45 lbs). I ended up putting black electrical tape on the rack to minimize scratches. It seems strong enough from a few test tugs.

Daniel Betancourt

Jan 11, 2017, 3:06:20 PM1/11/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I ended up going with black electrical tape on the rack. Worse case, I can always take it off and replace it with plastic, rubber, or felt in the future.

Daniel Betancourt

Enterprise Security Architect
Direct Phone:  407.588.7844
Direct Fax:      630.218.7055